2016 YTD investment performance thread

I can't believe people here are so short-term focused.

Very few people here are short term focused. Every time someone comes along and says "the market sucks right now. Im scared Im going to lose all my money. What are you guys changing to protect yourselves?" The mass answer is always "nothing".

This thread is nothing but a light hearted score keeping thread.

Very few people here are short term focused. Every time someone comes along and says "the market sucks right now. Im scared Im going to lose all my money. What are you guys changing to protect yourselves?" The mass answer is always "nothing".

This thread is nothing but a light hearted score keeping thread.

Plus it is one of the few threads that actually has different answers instead of repeated ones over and over. Its always "original" every day. :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

And misery loves company. I love it when somebody admits to losing more than I do.

And misery loves company. I love it when somebody admits to losing more than I do.

If you had only put all your money in utility preferreds when I did, you would be so bored looking at your portfolio, you would never look but only on the dividend dump days... :) Of course your portfolio is probably too huge to push it all in like a skinny portfolio such as mine can! If only I had sold ALL of my Total Stock Index instead of just keeping 10% in it... Its amazing how just 10% of something can drag you down a bit.

Eh, but I have posted more than once that life can be boring, and the market gives me some excitement. ;)

Also, I like the challenge as I try to conquer my greed and fear.

Last edited:
Eh, but I have posted more than once that life can be boring, and the market gives me some excitement. ;)

Im like you, NW, but in a different way in that I love to bet, but with my gambling money...As far as investing goes, I think the words "loss aversion" has a picture of me beside the definition.

-3.8% vs -5.8% for the Total Stock Market (US)

For a change, my health care fund is trailing the overall market.

As of 1/31/2016 -3.7% (excluding contributions--not ER'd). 70/30 mix. Looking for a nice bull market push for the rest of 2016!

-3.5% (85% stocks/15% bonds) at months end.

Excluding contributions as also no yet ER.

I read recently (I think it was USA Today) that over the last 30 years or so (maybe it was since 1985, which is close) the S&P 500 was up 8% per year but the "average" individual investor only made 2% per year due to poor choices. That may not include dividends which would add 2-3% more, so 4-5% for the average person vs 10-11% for the index. Does that seem right to the forum? My actual over the period was 9% so I felt pretty OK.

Exactly!

(and sharing info on what's working and what's not YTD.)

And that's what makes it a (rare) useful thread regarding investing. See that title? It has a year named in it, meaning it has a clear beginning and ending. It doesn't just go on and on, ad infinitum. Heck, if that were allowed you never know: War Admiral might have actually beaten Seabiscuit.

Ended Feb with -2.5%. Only bond funds and my 2 of 3 trading accounts are beating the S&P 500. But ... we are off to a nice start in March. One of my mutual funds with high portion in energy sector is showing signs of recovering.

Last edited:
-3% YTD for me. If the market holds up today, would make a big dent into that loss.

By the way, -3% YTD matches return of Wellington MF which is also at 60% stock.

I'm at -3% also - with a 60/40 blend.

I'm down 2.5%.

[(Current balance + withdrawals for living expenses)/Beginning balance]-1

I add back withdrawals since the thread is investment performance.

I stopped using Quicken at the end of 2015, so I no longer have any idea what the YTD return is for my overall portfolio. But for the big chunk that we have at Vanguard (AA is 64/36), we are flat according to the website ("investment returns" down $258 YTD).

Last edited:
Flat is good. Today you will be in the black (fingers crossed).

-3% is bad. One can live on it for a year!

According to personal capital:

You Index™
61-DAY (YTD)
-2.76%

S&P 500
61-DAY (YTD)
-3.21%

Back
Top Bottom