2016 YTD investment performance thread

As of last Friday's close, I was down about 1.8%. Will recalculate again this coming Friday.

Yesterday was a nice boost. Now only down 2% YTD. That's a lot better than a couple of weeks ago.

75/25 AA up 0.93%

VFIAX S&P Fund 43.3%
VGHCX Healthcare 11.0%
VGSIX REIT Index 11.6%
NAISX Small Cap Index 9.1%
VBILX Intermediate BF 12.5%
VBTLX Total Bond Fund 12.5%

I am down .2%. Would be a lot worse but I bought some SDLP a couple different times within the last 6 weeks and it's gone up around 34% so that helps.

75/25 AA up 0.93%

VFIAX S&P Fund 43.3%
VGHCX Healthcare 11.0%
VGSIX REIT Index 11.6%

Given those equity funds that you are holding, its amazing you could be up.

I'm down 1.7% as of (a mix of) yesterday/today. The mix is because I haven't bothered to see when items priced once per day get updated on the various web sites. That's "all-in", but adjusted for spending. But it doesn't include the 10K the IRS is holding for me.

75/25 AA up 0.93%

VFIAX S&P Fund 43.3%
VGHCX Healthcare 11.0%
VGSIX REIT Index 11.6%

+1

Except for the 25% in bonds, every single one of the above is down in the period of 1/1/2016 to 3/1/2016, some big time like the healthcare.

Last edited:
I too was wondering if folks are truly posting the YTD data or perhaps the last 30 days. My portfolio tracks the S&P 500 pretty closely which is down 3.21%.

I too was wondering if folks are truly posting the YTD data or perhaps the last 30 days. My portfolio tracks the S&P 500 pretty closely which is down 3.21%.
These threads are always suspicious because many folks do not use the same math that anybody else uses. They also do not include the 50% of their portfolio sitting in a money market (That's not my portfolio "portfolio"!) or ignore certain accounts ("Oh, my old 401(k) invested in oil stocks that I haven't done anything with for years. That doesn't count!).

A benchmark for a 60/40 asset allocation is the Vanguard LifeStrategy Moderate Growth fund VSMGX. Its YTD through 3/1/2016 performance is -1.69%. There are some other 60/40 funds that have better and worse than this fund, too. For example, the Vanguard Balanced fund VBIAX is 60/40 but has no international equites has done -1.27%.

Last edited:
It would depend on when they were purchased. Several funds are up 8% to 13% off of their lows for 2016. :)

Flat is good. Today you will be in the black (fingers crossed).

-3% is bad. One can live on it for a year!

You may get 1/2 of that today alone ... :)

Indeed. As of market close yesterday, 3/1/2016, I was down only -1.5% YTD.

Today is not shabby. My stocks are up 0.85%, against the S&P of 0.41%. Foreign stocks, not just EM, do well. Mining sector jumps big. Still have to see what my MFs report.

Last edited:
75/25 AA up 0.93%

VFIAX S&P Fund 43.3%
VGHCX Healthcare 11.0%
VGSIX REIT Index 11.6%

+1

Except for the 25% in bonds, every single one of the above is down in the period of 1/1/2016 to 3/1/2016, some big time like the healthcare.

Yes, and VFIAX which is 43.3% of the total is -2.83% YTD and VHGCX is down 8.77% through 3/1/2016 according to Vanguard... so I'm skeptical about +0.93%.

https://personal.vanguard.com/us/funds/snapshot?FundId=0540&FundIntExt=INT#tab=1
https://personal.vanguard.com/us/funds/snapshot?FundId=0052&FundIntExt=INT#tab=1

Last edited:
This thread will be helpful if you share your strategy, both what is working and what is not working.
For the few here that reported at the end of January and the end of February, I've plotted the results. So, the month of February saw improvements in the range of .35% to .74% with the larger improvements seen by those that got hit the hardest in January. This is expected and it looks like we have some consistent reporting, for the most part. There is one outlying point not fitting the expectation. It's on the good side, so maybe that strategy should be examined ;)

I could name names, but I figured it's more interesting to get comments (and see if you can spot yourself) first.

Attachments

• FebResults.jpg
    FebResults.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
So, only one of us has any hope of running a hedge fund? :)

It would depend on when they were purchased. Several funds are up 8% to 13% off of their lows for 2016. :)

Sure, but if they weren't held from 1/1/16, it would have been good to so state, especially since the allocation was shown.

So, only one of us has any hope of running a hedge fund? :)

I think Bill Ackman the past year or so would have been in better shape focusing on janitorial duties and appointed any of us to have ran his hedge fund. The results would have been better for the past year anyways.
As of today, I am up 1%. Just trying to leg out some infield hits.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

...These threads are always suspicious because many folks do not use the same math that anybody else uses. They also do not include the 50% of their portfolio sitting in a money market (That's not my portfolio "portfolio"!)...

Since these threads are so popular, it might be beneficial if there were some agreement on the math. If some of you math folks could agree on a formula (?) that isn't more sophisticated than long division (for my sake), these threads might have some value.

Back
Top Bottom