Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-01-2016, 08:42 PM   #541
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by simple girl View Post
7.09% YTD. Just a bit above our benchmark.
Wow, what a coincidence! I just computed my number to be the same. It's actually 7.0896%.

I don't think I do too badly, considering that I hold a wad of cash earning very little, and very little bond. My cash is now at 46%, and bond at 2%. My stocks are doing well, and that makes up for the lousy cash.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-01-2016, 08:54 PM   #542
Recycles dryer sheets

My ytd return is right around 7%.
OneDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 09:17 PM   #543
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm at 5.75% ... Still playing a bit too much with Individual Stocks. Should be entirely out of them by the end of the year

OH ... Forgot to include, this also accounts for my HSA which legitimately does nothing. Need to get this taken care of prior to Dec too.
DROPOUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 09:23 PM   #544
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I seem to be fairing in line with this august group at 8.6%.
Old 09-01-2016, 10:29 PM   #545
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
My cash is now at 46%, and bond at 2%. My stocks are doing well, and that makes up for the lousy cash.
Why so much cash at hand if I may ask?
robnplunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 07:27 AM   #546
Give me a forum ...

Surely, you may.

I have never had much bond. It may not be a wise thing, but I spent more time studying stocks, and did not know much about bonds to feel comfortable holding them, so always had a lot of cash. I call I-bonds and stable value fund in my wife's 401k cash, because the principal does not move when the interest rate changes. So, it is not cash as in "lumps under the mattress", but it still has very low yield.

Usually, my cash is around 20-30%, but recently we moved my wife's 401k to an IRA, and I have been reluctant to reinvest it in this climate. So, I have more cash than I usually do.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 09-02-2016, 07:32 AM   #547

Quote:
Wow, what a coincidence! I just computed my number to be the same. It's actually 7.0896%.

I don't think I do too badly, considering that I hold a wad of cash earning very little, and very little bond. My cash is now at 46%, and bond at 2%. My stocks are doing well, and that makes up for the lousy cash.
Ha! Indeed!

I'm pretty happy with our return, too! Of course I would want it to be more, but I'm not willing to increase the risk level for the reward. Just happy to be matching our benchmark (we were lagging for a while).

(55, married; Mr. Simple Girl, 59. FIRED 12/31/19!)
simple girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 08:20 AM   #548
Moderator Emeritus

7.34%
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 08:30 AM   #549
Full time employment: Posting here.

+9.9% YTD as of the end of August

80% equities / 20% fixed - No changes made in portfolio this past month and none planned this year unless we see a big drop in the market.
Whisper66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 09:03 AM   #550
Give me a forum ...

For in-laws' brokerage:

Yield On Cost 4.61%
Current Yield 3.89%
Wellington (VWENX) 2.58%

Performance Gain YTD 11.89%
Wellington (VWENX) 7.77%

Investment Cur%
Financial 4.5%
Consumer Discretionary 1.7%
Technology 3.2%
Industrials 5.0%
Materials 2.4%
Energy 4.3%
Consumer Staples 0.0%
Health Care 6.7%
Telecom Services 26.2%
Utilities 4.9%
Real Estate 10.2%
TE Long Term 16.6%
TE Short Term 6.3%
High Yield 2.6%
International 3.0%
Cash 2.6%
target2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 10:45 AM   #551
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by target2019 View Post
For in-laws' brokerage...
Actually, Mom (whose investments I manage) beat me with 8.11% (vs my 7.53%), but her AA is ~75/25/0 whereas mine is 60/35/5.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 11:49 AM   #552
Give me a forum ...

Vanguard only gives IRR for 1 year, as best I can tell.
For our retirement accounts, 1YR IRR is 10.1%.

Too lazy to calculate the IRR YTD. Can wait until 12/31/2016.
Old 09-02-2016, 12:17 PM   #553
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by target2019 View Post
Vanguard only gives IRR for 1 year, as best I can tell.
For our retirement accounts, 1YR IRR is 10.1%.

Too lazy to calculate the IRR YTD. Can wait until 12/31/2016.
Here is a simple calculator that many of us are using for this thread. All you need to know is beginning value, ending value, contributions and distributions.

http://www.moneychimp.com/features/p...calculator.htm

Actually, contributions and distributions can be net... if positive then additions, if negative then withdrawals. To be clear, dividends refer to dividends taken in cash, not dividends reinvested.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 01:20 PM   #554
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
Here is a simple calculator that many of us are using for this thread. All you need to know is beginning value, ending value, contributions and distributions.

Investment Return Calculator: Measure your Portfolio's Performance

Actually, contributions and distributions can be net... if positive then additions, if negative then withdrawals. To be clear, dividends refer to dividends taken in cash, not dividends reinvested.
Yes, I've done that from time to time. Too much work. I don't download contributions and distributions in Vanguard accounts. When I retire I'll have time to do it.
Old 09-02-2016, 01:22 PM   #555
Recycles dryer sheets

Just checked my spreadsheet. Total "nest egg" is up 6.7% on a ~50/45/5 since 01/01/16.

If I was not taking and spending distributions from my taxable account to supplement pension, I'd probably be ~1% higher.
prototype is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 04:26 PM   #556
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by simple girl View Post
Ha! Indeed!

I'm pretty happy with our return, too! Of course I would want it to be more, but I'm not willing to increase the risk level for the reward. Just happy to be matching our benchmark (we were lagging for a while).
I don't know what benchmark you use, but I often compare myself to Wellesley and Wellington (blame this on Psssttt... Uncle Mick
), even though these MFs have no foreign stocks and I do. They also have bonds and I don't.

Here's the performance of what I use (data from Morningstar as of close of market on 9/1/16).

S&P 500 (VFINX): 7.71% YTD
Total Bond (BND): 6.08% YTD
Wellington (VWENX): 7.77% YTD
Wellesley (VWIAX): 9.22% YTD

Again, considering my wad of cash with yield of 1-2%, my 7.09% YTD is not shabby.

Old 09-02-2016, 06:40 PM   #557

Quote:
I don't know what benchmark you use, but I often compare myself to Wellesley and Wellington (blame this on Psssttt... Uncle Mick
), even though these MFs have no foreign stocks and I do. They also have bonds and I don't.

Here's the performance of what I use (data from Morningstar as of close of market on 9/1/16).

S&P 500 (VFINX): 7.71% YTD
Total Bond (BND): 6.08% YTD
Wellington (VWENX): 7.77% YTD
Wellesley (VWIAX): 9.22% YTD

Again, considering my wad of cash with yield of 1-2%, my 7.09% YTD is not shabby.
I use DGSIX. It's YTD as of close on 8/31/16 was 6.99%.

According to my research a while ago DGSIX could be described as the following: Global 60/40 - small-cap and value-tllted with DFA fund managers (41% US, 18% Internat, 37% bond, 4% other). This is very similar to our portfolio, except not sure it has as much real estate, energy, and emerging markets as we have - this may account for differences between it and our portfolio.

(55, married; Mr. Simple Girl, 59. FIRED 12/31/19!)
simple girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 08:55 PM   #558

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post

Investment Return Calculator: Measure your Portfolio's Performance

I've been doing the even more basic formula of adding-back the YTD spending to my current balance. But that presumes that I had all my money working for me until the point of the calculation, which of course, it wasn't. It turns out it's only a handful of hundredths of a percent different (but I'll take whatever I can get!) I know that it's only this small amount because, wait for it..., I updated my spreadsheet to do the calculation "more right" (and it ties to moneychimp). Thanks PB for making the world a better place This calculation still is not as accurate as an XIRR calculation, but it's better than what I've been doing. Better meaning, if you're only spending, not saving, then the formula produces a larger return (or a smaller negative return).

Might have been mentioned, but I thought I'd throw out a warning for those who might put "8" into the number of months elapsed and start reporting an annualized rate from the output of the calculator...that's not what I have been reporting in this thread. It's a YTD thread. So, yeah, just because I'm on the 11% trajectory for December, doesn't mean I'd say "11%". In order to use the moneychimp calculator to report year to date, you'd need to put "12" in the months elapsed field. That will fool it into reporting YTD.

Oh, and on the 'bad' side, I found that my YTD spend formula was messed up...had me spending more than I really did, so even though I got a few hundredths from the improved formula, my YTD went down
sengsational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 09:06 PM   #559
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sengsational View Post
I've been doing the even more basic formula of adding-back the YTD spending to my current balance. But that presumes that I had all my money working for me until the point of the calculation, which of course, it wasn't. It turns out it's only a handful of hundredths of a percent different (but I'll take whatever I can get!) I know that it's only this small amount because, wait for it..., I updated my spreadsheet to do the calculation "more right" (and it ties to moneychimp). Thanks PB for making the world a better place This calculation still is not as accurate as an XIRR calculation, but it's better than what I've been doing. Better meaning, if you're only spending, not saving, then the formula produces a larger return (or a smaller negative return).
+1

That improved formula simply attributes 1/2 of the spending to the start of the period, and 1/2 of the spending to the end. That turns out to be a huge improvement. It comes closer to the XIRR calculation for someone who withdraws spending money steadily throughout the investment period.

For those that have exposure to numerical analysis, this is similar to the difference between rectangular integration and trapezoidal integration.

Quote:
Might have been mentioned, but I thought I'd throw out a warning for those who might put "8" into the number of months elapsed and start reporting an annualized rate from the output of the calculator...that's not what I have been reporting in this thread. It's a YTD thread. So, yeah, just because I'm on the 11% trajectory for December, doesn't mean I'd say "11%"...(
+1 again.

Well, just because one is on a 11% trajectory does not mean he's guaranteed to stay on it. Quite a few rockets have exploded while on their trajectory before reaching orbit. And the stock market movement has been likened to a random walk more often than a rocket trajectory. Worse, we'd like to think of our portfolio reaching the escape velocity and going to Pluto.

Old 09-09-2016, 11:58 AM   #560
Give me a forum ...

1.5% drop in the market today, time to update those figures!
Fermion is online now   Reply With Quote