2016 YTD investment performance thread

So how did your whole portfolio do?

I have no idea. I kind of tried to figure it out, but I was distracted by a sparkling object. However, I can tell you this: I finished in the 97th percentile (the higher, the better) in ESPN Pigskin Pick'em. I would have finished higher, except that in one of the weeks, I forgot to hit the confirm button on all my picks and therefore I only went 2 for 2. The other picks were not recorded, so I missed out on nine wins. Darn. I probably would have been in about the 103rd percentile if I got credit for those extra nine. As I recall, I was distracted by a sparkling object that came into view.

Does anyone listen to or read Bob Brinker?

One reason you haven't seen any replies to your question is E-R.org leans toward DIY investors, many who consider themselves Bogleheads. Relatively few of us follow any particular financial guru since they usually promote some sort of market timing strategy.

Those who do time the market sometimes discuss their moves on the Stock Picking and Market Timing forum, so you might want to post your question there.

5.4%, 48/19/33, I am only looking to make 5% so I am really happy. I am investing with the only take the risk you need to approach it and seems to be working.

About 8% for me YTD

I just checked my post from 2015 - It was +1.09% for 2015 :LOL:

I guess you lose some and gain some. I am glad 2016 ended well.

2016 performance was right at 6% with 58/34/8.

From the other reports in this thread I think I need to sharpen my pencil. The majority of investments are in MegaCorp 401K. I will be researching the total performance against Vanguard funds and probably switching to Vanguard IRA sooner than planned. BTW, I didn't notice such a large difference in years past.

Thanks for posting your results. It helps me validate my own performance results.

Thanks for posting your results. It helps me validate my own performance results.

Yes, I appreciate it too.
Many were in the same general range as me, so I feel pretty good about that. I greatly admire those who did much better, but I suspect they may have spent more time managing their portfolio than I did. Even if they didn't, I still admire them!

2016 Investment returns - Time weighted

Based on 2016 full year time weighted average, inclusive of dividends, margin interest and all brokerage fees and excluding the impact of any additions or withdrawals from principal, I was up 10.4% versus 11.9% for the benchmark SP 500.

So I failed to 'beat the market' this year.

Big reason was a very weak start to the 2016 where at one point I was down 18%. I spent the rest of the year trying to catch up but didn't quite make it.

Biggest loser was trying to play mini arbitrage on the failed HAL - BHI merger.

Biggest winners were the energy names - APC, PXD and CXO - which rallied strongly in the second half.

2017 is another year - starting out well, lets see how it goes.

4cbzhiV3slbd79t-ZKjMjrLKUYH_z31xeIk74BeCdcq7qr0KIYMMfTBiXPEaiqq5FUcQ-RuAyxhoWe1Pc-jR7uN72H7Ya0lbCNkILhq7PHmMsFfjILcTLzNUtTfrjqs0iM8l5jtBPbgVjkIho1LiV3_wcTgooFBtA7pYFRLto9mhRsUS2nay93xlDfflUrOZT0Dt4L4bIkqqiolydjLr5CDWt07adfIkzanjp58rN-Z--KoVXf3b0CT8zjFXQwDRVRUhQrxIKxzEuYBCcELtukNGBldBUb3Pbgl7PeqslHuAQv2nFgxBqbeC1r3KO5GEw4aEe1YNe9WwQhLOvf5s27q1-oim1Qt7sgWId3WHH1gzo24g6q45mQ1LR1kQPvHkETslM9L6WZu23Pjs22ExTFjk0ZCzNUxIL7CuR52GQ1XBYpfiIB2CXQKMf9Occpzm1ygTHToH-sWP0opIHMxQvwCTLUuDGOejDdcPYqXNLy3x6ncSJ__YkMSWhQfvySZlL_quaruwRIKCFfUL5hJpReI8PrSIBiyfYauDMI-Tfil3ufuW0MnTtmMQ9VaWjM4eFRxJLwB2jhi0NuDet63ReiSOHcgP_qq6BA7_hna2594Ozljq56J6=w1366-h539-no

11.1 percent net of management fees. About a 55/45 split. A good year.

It has been a good four years considering how low inflation has been. Made some real portfolio gains that I had not anticipated in my projections of five years ago.

But is that the best (most realistic) benchmark for your portfolio?

Yes - because I am an 'active' investor and trade in and out on both the long and short side including options.

It's a lot of work, it's stressful and if I am not beating a passive return provided by SP500 index funds, why bother gets to be an issue.

I'm only 5.8%--international is 35% of stock and cash is 14%, which explains the underperformance. (60-25-15 allocation, but I'm putting some cash to work slowly while I rebalance over the next month)>

Looks like the retirement fund gained 7.83% for 2016. 53% equity exposure.

I'm pretty pleased. My balanced fund benchmarks did better, but they have higher stock allocations and are more concentrated in large cap value, with little foreign exposure. Really, they aren't valuable as benchmarks anymore.

I had lower equity exposure than VTWNX listed above and beat it handily. I have a pretty healthy small cap exposure which most balanced funds lack.
A distribution came in higher then expected, so I can bump my 2016 performance all the way up to 7.85% - whoopee! :dance:

10.7% for my TSP at 60/40 for most of the year. My smaller Roth IRA did a little better but my Healthcare mutual fund brought it down.

My retirement & brokerage amounts started the year near $540k and ended the year at $670k. I contributed/added $45k, so I had $85k growth for the year. I know its far from exact, but 85/540 = 15.7%. Figure some of the growth can be attributed to growth on the $45k, so my return for the year is probably in the 13-14% range.:dance: I'm in ~95% stocks (which I think makes sense with a solid pension), so that probably has something to do with it. If I knew I could do that every year I might retire today.

Final 'verdict' 2016:

• Index tracker +16%
  • Individual +30%

Fully expecting negative returns going forward.

I was up 16.2% overall across all accounts. Up 9.5% for the $ invested in mutual funds via my 401(k) plan. The $ invested in individual stocks via my taxable accounts generated a return of 19.95%. 2016 was a much better year than 2015. However, it sure didn't start out that way.

My IRA and taxable acct at Vangaurd (Int'l and TSM) is 18.05%. 401k is 18.63% (mostly small/mid cap - some S&P 500). My employee stock is 19%.

Kind of shocking. It didn't seem like my gains were that high.

Yes, I appreciate it too.
Many were in the same general range as me, so I feel pretty good about that. I greatly admire those who did much better, but I suspect they may have spent more time managing their portfolio than I did. Even if they didn't, I still admire them!

Agree. Problem is outperformance almost always means less diversification. My 27% return resulted from a very undiversified portfolio of individual stocks. In my case, I did not trade at all in 2016. Although I have outperformed the Canadian index over the last 10 years, the S&P 500 has done even better I think.

... I greatly admire those who did much better, but I suspect they may have spent more time managing their portfolio than I did...
There's always that element of luck. One needs to look over a longer period to tell. I beat the market some years, only to trail it the next years. I learn something in the process, and keep telling myself that I will apply lessons learned. Will see. It makes life more interesting, when I am not traveling that is.

So how did your whole portfolio do?

OK, so after pb4uski's forceful post directly directed at me causing me to feel the heat, I decided to spend some time figuring out how my whole portfolio did.

The Dividend Stock portfolio was up 10.69% BUT, THAT'S NOT CORRECT: SEE FOLLOWING POST:

My entire portfolio was up 10.05%

It looks like I'm at 48% equities; 46% bonds and the rest is made up of other stuff.

If the numbers don't look right, blame pb4uski, I don't do well when pressured.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom