2017 401(k) and IRA limits remain unchanged

Been waiting for this, sad to see the limits remain unchanged but not surprised given the low inflation as of late.

My friend (the snake-bit one whose finances and taxes I help him with) and I were wondering about this (Roth and 457b limits) the other night. We both suspected they would be unchanged for 2017 because the SS increase was nearly zero.

TWB jumped to 127K - 402g and catchup limits didn't change

Ok will leave all automatic investment amounts unchanged. Too bad they don't pick a number divisible by 12. [emoji1]

you may have to elect the catchup annually

This one changed!

The limitation for defined contribution plans under Section 415(c)(1)(A) is increased in 2017 from $53,000 to $54,000.
Since DW and I make use of this via after-tax (non-Roth) contributions to her 401k that can then be rolled over to a Roth IRA (ie Mega Back Door Roth) this is good news.

-gauss

Last edited:
Looking at this reminds me how thoroughly arbitrary these limits are when applied across the entire country. For example - the income phaseout for contributing a deductible amount to an IRA tops out at $72K a year for a single person if you happen to have a company retirement plan. Now I know that is not chump change no matter how you look at it - but $72K means a lot more for someone living in, say, Arkansas vs someone living in Silicon Valley.

Back
Top Bottom