Join Early Retirement Today

2017 Estimated end of year Distributions for Mutual Funds - some already published
Old 10-29-2017, 04:51 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

2017 Estimated end of year Distributions for Mutual Funds - some already published

I saw the Fidelity had published their preliminary estimates for end of year distributions from their mutual funds, and I discovered quite a few other fund companies had also published them according to this handy page from Mutual Fund Observer:
https://mutualfundobserver.com/discu...ains-estimates
There are more in the comments, so I recommend searching on your fund company name.

Most fund company estimates are published by Nov 15.

The Fidelity link is here:
https://www.fidelity.com/mutual-fund...ation/year-end
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-29-2017, 05:20 PM   #2
Give me a forum ...

T. Rowe Price has preliminaries out, but you have to search their web site for "year end distros." Vanguard says their preliminaries will be up by Nov 10th.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 05:48 PM   #3
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
T. Rowe Price has preliminaries out, but you have to search their web site for "year end distros." Vanguard says their preliminaries will be up by Nov 10th.
If you go to Vanguard's website, search for a fund, and then click on the "Distributions" tab for that fund, there will be a section at the bottom left that shows the realized capital gains/losses for that fund throughout the year. It's typically updated at the end of every quarter. These are the capital gains/losses that the fund itself has incurred, not individual investor account activity.

For instance, for VWIAX it currently shows a 60 cent per share capital gain as of 9/30/17. Likewise, VWENX shows a realized capital gain of $2.42 per share as of 9/30/17.

I've found these to be very helpful throughout the year as I estimate what the capital distributions at year end will be for each of my funds.
Old 10-29-2017, 05:57 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
The link to T-Rowe Price distributions is in the web site above.

Last year the first Vanguard estimates came out around the 11th I think.
Old 10-29-2017, 05:57 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Thanks - I just looked up VTSAX and it shows a capital loss of ten cents a share. Will that loss be passed to investors, also?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Looking4Ward View Post
If you go to Vanguard's website, search for a fund, and then click on the "Distributions" tab for that fund, there will be a section at the bottom left that shows the realized capital gains/losses for that fund throughout the year. It's typically updated at the end of every quarter. These are the capital gains/losses that the fund itself has incurred, not individual investor account activity.

For instance, for VWIAX it currently shows a 60 cent per share capital gain as of 9/30/17. Likewise, VWENX shows a realized capital gain of $2.42 per share as of 9/30/17.

I've found these to be very helpful throughout the year as I estimate what the capital distributions at year end will be for each of my funds.
Old 10-29-2017, 06:13 PM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Thanks - I just looked up VTSAX and it shows a capital loss of ten cents a share. Will that loss be passed to investors, also?
No, losses are carried forward in the fund and can be used to offset gains. These losses are held in the fund.
bingybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 06:22 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
no. It will be offset against future gains.
Old 10-29-2017, 06:43 PM   #8

Quote:
Look over on the right side of that chart showing (.10) realized appreciation. There is the unrealized appreciation. The fund is up over 18% this year. I believe a good portion of that gain will be passed on to investors
Scrapr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 06:46 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapr View Post
Look over on the right side of that chart showing (.10) realized appreciation. There is the unrealized appreciation. The fund is up over 18% this year. I believe a good portion of that gain will be passed on to investors
How much is passed onto investors depends on whether the appreciated stocks were sold thus realizing capital gains. A fund can gain a lot and pay out little to no distributions if there isn't any selling going on. Selling can be caused by other fund investors selling their shares as well as the fund managers deciding to take some profits.
Old 10-29-2017, 07:43 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

I wrote in another thread about how Fidelity had just posted its year-end distributions and how an extraordinarily large one threw me off the ACA premium subsidy cliff and cost me $700.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 07:49 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrabbler1 View Post
I wrote in another thread about how Fidelity had just posted its year-end distributions and how an extraordinarily large one threw me off the ACA premium subsidy cliff and cost me $700.
Yes, sorry for you.

But it made me go look for those estimated distributions
Old 10-29-2017, 08:18 PM   #12

On average how are the distributions looking relative to 2016? Given how stocks have performed lately I'd guess up 10% to 20%.
GrayHare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 09:47 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayHare View Post
On average how are the distributions looking relative to 2016? Given how stocks have performed lately I'd guess up 10% to 20%.
I'm seeing something like up 20% so far for me
Old 10-29-2017, 09:56 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayHare View Post
For the stock fund I have been lamenting about, it was up 62% from last year on a per-share basis.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

Old 10-30-2017, 01:43 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
I saw the Fidelity had published their preliminary estimates for end of year distributions from their mutual funds, and I discovered quite a few other fund companies had also published them according to this handy page from Mutual Fund Observer:
https://mutualfundobserver.com/discu...ains-estimates
There are more in the comments, so I recommend searching on your fund company name.

Most fund company estimates are published by Nov 15.

The Fidelity link is here:
https://www.fidelity.com/mutual-fund...ation/year-end
Thanks, Audrey.
Old 10-30-2017, 04:59 AM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

Here are some Vanguard expected dates ~
November 10, 2017 Preliminary capital gains estimates
December 8, 2017 Updated and expanded estimates
December 18, 2017 Updated estimated breakdown
Mark your calendar for year-end fund distributions
https://investornews.vanguard/mark-y...stributions-2/
dirt_dobber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 06:22 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrabbler1 View Post
I understand your pain, but wonder why you would hold MF in taxable accounts. They have to distribute realized gains. Especially after long run ups and either redemption or the MF shifting investments can generate large distributions. 2007/8 were especially bad for me. This is especially bad for for active funds. However, I do wonder how index MF will behave when/if distributions exceed new investments when large numbers of retirees are pulling $ to live on.

The thing that hit home in 07/8 for me was that you could be responsible for gains that you did not participate.

On the other side, after huge losses, MF have a tendency to not distribute at high levels (after the initial purge).

ETFs can avoid some of this with the use of Authorized Participants. I do not hold MF in taxable accounts to avoid this issue. I would suggest you do something similar if you want some control.
bingybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 07:12 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bingybear View Post
I understand your pain, but wonder why you would hold MF in taxable accounts. They have to distribute realized gains. Especially after long run ups and either redemption or the MF shifting investments can generate large distributions. 2007/8 were especially bad for me. This is especially bad for for active funds. However, I do wonder how index MF will behave when/if distributions exceed new investments when large numbers of retirees are pulling $ to live on.

The thing that hit home in 07/8 for me was that you could be responsible for gains that you did not participate.

On the other side, after huge losses, MF have a tendency to not distribute at high levels (after the initial purge).

ETFs can avoid some of this with the use of Authorized Participants. I do not hold MF in taxable accounts to avoid this issue. I would suggest you do something similar if you want some control.
I retired at 45, 9 years ago, well before the ACA was passed. I use the income from my taxable mutual funds (bond and stock) to pay my bills. The stock fund is mainly an inflation guard although it supplies some quarterly dividend income. This stock fund is one I have owned since 1996, so I didn't choose it as part of my ER plan, unlike the big bond fund I own which I did chose for ER purposes. The cap gains from the stock fund is a by-product of keeping it as an inflation guard.

Old 10-30-2017, 08:26 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

For some folks (like us), their tax deferred accounts are much much smaller than their taxable, so they can't really keep the least tax efficient investments tax-deferred only.
Old 10-30-2017, 08:53 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

That is our situation - plus our pensions are taxed as ordinary income, so we're in a higher tax bracket no matter what we did or do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
For some folks (like us), their tax deferred accounts are much much smaller than their taxable, so they can't really keep the least tax efficient investments tax-deferred only.