2017 YTD investment performance thread

Up 2.5% for the year, all-in. The international is giving back a little of what it's been taking.

Up 2.03%. I can live with that. I can live WELL with that.

My January winners are international & energy funds. All of them are up about 5%.

The losers are, well, not many. Bond funds gained at their expected rate.

My short term trades (morning time hobby) kept up with S&P 500.

All is well so far.

4.12% Big winner was a bet on biotech. Which is up over 6% YTD. I picked it based on it was near the bottom (or the top depending on how you look at it) of the worst performers of last year, down 23%.

Last edited:
I closed January with 2.40% YTD return. Not complaining for 60% stock, 33% cash, and what's left in bonds.

What worked well are industrial metals, biotechs, EM. The lousy stocks include energy, some industrials and retailers like Walmart.

Transaction History by Fund for the period: 1/1/2017 to 1/31/2017
Personal Rate of Return for the period: 2.08%

I don't expect every month will be like that :LOL:

Up .89%, much better than last year at this time. 50/50 portfolio. FX variations hurt a bit - S&P500 was down 1.13% in CAD terms.

Looks like 1.3% on 58/33/8 allocation. Works for me, my self developed spreadsheet projection always calls for a flat current year.

1.28% on a 50/45/5 AA. Let's hope the "January effect" works.

OK something isn't working as well this year, my Jan end rate was 1.09%, dropping again early this week. As of yesterday YTD is only 0.98%. Allocation is 59/39/2 on invested accounts. I believe the intermediate duration of the average bonds in our funds at 6.6 yrs is limiting our overall returns with corporate bond market rates rising. But visibility to actual changes is limited. I am considering maintaining the same allocation, but divesting the balanced funds with their higher interest sensitivity. Instead, buying equity funds and shorter term bond funds while rates stabilize to higher levels this year. Anyone else considering, or has done this recently? It seems others here with similar 60/40 allocation are doing much better.

OK something isn't working as well this year, my Jan end rate was 1.09%, dropping again early this week. As of yesterday YTD is only 0.98%. Allocation is 59/39/2 on invested accounts. I believe the intermediate duration of the average bonds in our funds at 6.6 yrs is limiting our overall returns with corporate bond market rates rising. But visibility to actual changes is limited. I am considering maintaining the same allocation, but divesting the balanced funds with their higher interest sensitivity. Instead, buying equity funds and shorter term bond funds while rates stabilize to higher levels this year. Anyone else considering, or has done this recently? It seems others here with similar 60/40 allocation are doing much better.

It's just one month. These things tend to average out. Look at the performance over a much longer time frame.

It looks like I am lagging behind... +1.07% for Jan.

Through Jan 31st I was at 1.999% (not to be exact!). I had made a money move Jan 6th with my 401K and did not rebalance so my mix so was at 88% equities for the month. Much higher than my previously. Sort of dumb luck.

I'm now at 68%/32%.

85/15 for January 2017 I have a 3.01% gain.

My account at Mega-Brokerage- up 1.9%. Fidelity (I manage that more actively, it's about 1/6 of the pot) up 1.5%. I'm about 70% in equities and moving more towards ETFs. Ooh, 1.9% a month is 24.6% annually! :)

Back
Top Bottom