2017 YTD investment performance thread

14% roughly split 60/40 using a variety of global Ishares ETF's (no commission with Fidelity). I track against VSMGX which is a fairly close benchmark. Over the past 10 years I've almost exactly matched it; over the past 3 and 5 years I've averaged about 1% CAGR better.

Larry

YTD

Up 16.29% AA 63/26/11:dance:
Second year of retirement and I am so happy we had a great year and the Sequence of Return “Gods” are kind to us in 2018! I wish everyone a wonderful New Year. :)

I really only [-]care about[/-] track financial net worth since I RE-ed in early 2011. This includes investment returns and spending (we have no pension or other income sources at this point). I'm quite heavy in stocks/stock mutual funds.

It was a very good year.

Attachments

• Change in Net Worth.png
    Change in Net Worth.png
    40 KB · Views: 41
YTD through 12/29 - Investments up 15.0%. Of course, very happy with this.

Hope 2018 is as good to us as 2017. :)

YTD 19.8%

Like they said back in 1999- Anybody can make 15% in the market!

Looks like everyone has had a great year with 15-20%+ returns. I'm curious, for those with bonds in their portfolio's, what returns did you see from them? Any bond or bond funds that stood above the rest?

For me, I have none, but do have $400K in a pension fund with 4.5% minimum return rate (adjustable to 1 year TBill + 1%, so 4.5% for quite some time to come). Just curious if I should move this to a bond fund for a bit higher rate.

Looks like everyone has had a great year with 15-20%+ returns. I'm curious, for those with bonds in their portfolio's, what returns did you see from them? Any bond or bond funds that stood above the rest?

For me, I have none, but do have $400K in a pension fund with 4.5% minimum return rate (adjustable to 1 year TBill + 1%, so 4.5% for quite some time to come). Just curious if I should move this to a bond fund for a bit higher rate.

Are you sure it is 1 year? My cash balance is 10 year +1%... but that still means minimum for now...

I am not going to calculate the IRR for my entire portfolio as it would be pretty tedious. All I know is that our net worth is up about 24% for 2017. My top two investments, VTSAX and VTIAX did really well (+21.2% and +27.5% respectedly). Assets held in foreign currencies also had a very good year when measured in USD, plus I created quite a bit of value by putting a lot of sweat equity in our house remodeling.

Are you sure it is 1 year? My cash balance is 10 year +1%... but that still means minimum for now...

+2........ 1 year TBill is 1.72% so +1% would be 2.72%, not 4.5%

The values shown are daily data published by the Federal Reserve Board based on the average yield of a range of Treasury securities, all adjusted to the equivalent of a one-year maturity. The current 1 year treasury yield as of December 29, 2017 is 1.72%.

My bonds returned 3.15% in aggregate in 2017.

+2........ 1 year TBill is 1.72% so +1% would be 2.72%, not 4.5%

Yup, tied to 1 year TBill. I was fortunate that company set a 4.5% minimum. When the pension was set up I'm sure no one thought that they'd see 1 Yr TBill much below 4.5%, let alone going sub 1% :)

I could set it up to pay as an annuity, but the rate of return is currently only about 2%. I've left the money sitting as it's been a decent return and that it was a quasi bond-fund for my AA.

My bonds returned 3.15% in aggregate in 2017.
Guess I can't be too unhappy with the 4.5% return.

Last edited:
YTD NOV 2017 Investments Summary (target: 53 Equity / 42 Fixed / 5 Cash)
  • 11.83% YTD Weighted Performance overall for the whole pie.
401(k) Personalized Rate of Return is 24.57%.
From 01/01/2017 to 12/30/2017
  • 12.71% American Funds American Balanced R6 Fund
  • 28.99% American Funds New World R6 Fund
Overall increase from previous month
  • 1.73% (not XIRR)
YTD DEC 2017 Investments Summary (target: 53 Equity / 42 Fixed / 5 Cash)
  • 13.25% YTD Weighted Performance overall for the whole pie.
401(k) Personalized Rate of Return is 26.66%.
From 01/01/2017 to 11/30/2017
  • 14.35% American Funds American Balanced R6 Fund
  • 31.68% American Funds New World R6 Fund
Overall increase from previous month
  • 0.85% (not XIRR)
Overall increase for 2017 (includes add'l contributions)
  • 18.05% (not XIRR)
So, we are on a roll, no matter how it is measured. Will rebalance soon back to our targets. For the past 24 months, 22 have been positive for us.

Year end of 13.15% with 50/50 portfolio. My benchmark is 50%Wellesley and 50% Wellington. Benchmark of 12.55 so I beat benchmark by .60% mostly due to foreign stocks having such a good year. My Bonds did 3.46 for the year with 22% Intermediate corporates, 23% total bond, and 5% in short term corporates.

Portfolio was up 15.3% for the year, excluding cash and rental real estate. AA is roughly 70/30. By comparison, a simple 70/30 mix of VTI/BND was up 15.9%. And with international, a 50/20/30 mix of VTI/VXUS/BND was up 17.2%. So we underperformed relative to both those benchmarks.

The equity side (including REIT) was up 19.3% compared to VTI at 21.2%. International equity did extremely well (up 28.4%), but even after some increases earlier this year, our allocation is still below the conventional wisdom at 12% of overall AA. So those returns were more-than-offset by larger positions in REIT ETFs like VNQ (up only 4.9%) and some high-dividend ETFs like VYM (up only 14.5% collectively... a great return, but well below VTI's 21.2%).

The fixed income side did pretty well at 4.9% compared to BND at 3.5%, mainly due to 2 corporate bond ETFs: LQD (investment grade, up 7.1%) and HYG (high yield, up 6.1%).

I still need to increase international some more. I had an opportunity to do that earlier when I sold a rental house. But instead I increased VNQ to hold my overall real estate allocation at 15%, which has served me well in the past. My tilts to high dividend, real estate, and corporate bonds produce sufficient income that I rarely sell shares of any magnitude. But it does hold back growth at times, relative to a more straightforward portfolio.

Last edited:
Quicken says the IRR for us is 14.46%. That's with a 60/25/15 asset allocation.

(DH is still a nervous nelly about the market and many of his IRAs are in CDs... hence the high cash position. I've been gradually talking him into Psst Wellesley...)

It's pretty nice to be up a lot more than our annual withdrawal.

With a relatively conservative 40-45% equity position over the year my investment portfolio is about +9% for the year. It did it's job since I had more than enough interest and dividends to cover expenses. Heck, most of the equity distributions in the 4th quarter were reinvested.
A very easy year. As always, next year I'm still looking for distressed RE which is getting tougher to find. If it's there fine. If not, I'll wait. The bills are paid and so far our health is good. Thanks and Happy New Year.

Final performance, 15.6%. Allocation to equities was increased in March, and crept up with performance from 60/35/5 to 67/28/5.

I am struggling with re-balancing versus simply increasing more foreign equity for 2018. All of our bond exposure is through the WELLS funds, including the new global Wellington. I added VG Primecap and Capital Opportunity funds to our mix as core holdings which helped boost returns since March. Still, we should have had a little better return for the 67% equity exposure. I track total performance against S&P NAV (w/o Div) and we pretty much followed an 80% performance of the S&P.

And the numbers are in....15.08% on portfolio of 65/30/5. Probably going to slim back on the equity side to a 60/35/5 for next year.

I’ll bring up the rear this year with ytd of about 7.7%. This year I moved heavily into solid dividend paying equities purchased at pretty low prices. Unfortunately much of that was in the oil and gas area, the worst performing sector this year. Also dropped Asset Allocation this year around mid year to 55/45, lowest I’ve ever been due to concern for over valued market and world events. However, though it doesn't match the excellent returns of others, it’s enough for me and I've slept well at night. Good to hear others are doing well and hope it continues in 2018.

My Dividend Portfolio was up 14.81%. I use this portfolio to supplement my bond portfolio. So far, so good.

The big winners were Boeing, Cat, McDonald's and Walmart. The big loser was GE.
According to Morningstar, the yield for the portfolio has dropped to 2.42. This low yield is causing me to re-think the name of the portfolio.

Numbers crunched using the MoneyChimp calculator (as suggested by Pb4uski),

Back
Top Bottom