Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-09-2018, 11:43 AM   #461
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedom56 View Post
With my large position in Centurylink, Qwest, U S West bonds, I should hit double digit returns on my bond portfolio this year current trends continue. The 7.5% 2024 notes that I bought in December 2017 for 96.55 are trading over $107 today. It appears like Jeff Storey and Sunit Patel are turning things around like they did at Level 3. I hope they continue the trend.
Hey Freedom56 - do you typically trade your bonds or hold them to maturity?
Continuing to research individual corp/muni bonds, but haven't pulled the trigger and looking to hold to maturity strategy wise.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-09-2018, 11:52 AM   #462

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYEXPAT View Post
+16.36 as of July 31st. Currently 20/5/75
My results were comprised of 72 RT over the past 7 months. My core individual stocks represent about 20% and are DIV payers and Chinese stocks. Majority of trades involved moving amongst sectors in the S&P, Owning the S&P outright and on several occasions owning the DJIA outright when it is lagging the S&P.

NYEXPAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 12:01 PM   #463
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYEXPAT View Post
My results were comprised of 72 RT over the past 7 months. My core individual stocks represent about 20% and are DIV payers and Chinese stocks. Majority of trades involved moving amongst sectors in the S&P, Owning the S&P outright and on several occasions owning the DJIA outright when it is lagging the S&P.
Is the 16%+ the return on your entire investment portfolio (including the large percentage of cash), or is it the return on the 20% equity?
Old 08-09-2018, 12:53 PM   #464

Quote:
Originally Posted by youbet View Post
Is the 16%+ the return on your entire investment portfolio (including the large percentage of cash), or is it the return on the 20% equity?
This is calculated on my entire investment portfolio Stocks/T'Bills/Cash. In the last 9 days my AA has changed to 30/10/70 as I have moved 10% of my cash into the Banking sector.
NYEXPAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 01:29 PM   #465
Full time employment: Posting here.

IRA +5.22%
Taxable Account -0.99%
401-K +4.70%

Disclosure: The taxable account is about 15 times more than my IRA, & about 2.5 times more than my 401(k)
So if I took the time to add them all up, It might be breakeven.
Old 08-09-2018, 04:31 PM   #466

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtail View Post
Hey Freedom56 - do you typically trade your bonds or hold them to maturity?
Continuing to research individual corp/muni bonds, but haven't pulled the trigger and looking to hold to maturity strategy wise.

Typically hold to maturity unless it was a lower coupon bond/note purchased at a significant discount to par and approached par. For example I purchased some Seagate technology 2027 notes a while ago for $84 and sold them at $100.6 about 8 months later. In the case of this particular Centurylink note, with a 7.5% coupon and YTM of over 8%, I'm holding to maturity unless the business picture changes.
Freedom56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 05:05 PM   #467
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happyras View Post
+1

I track and can look up several index portfolios (you can too with https://www.portfoliovisualizer.com/)

It makes no sense to me that so many are posting better than S&P returns as I am doing OK for one with a early allocation to bonds to start the year. July 31st YTD 2.64% all accounts.

If I look only at one of my accounts that has 4 index funds with S&P 500, Small cap, Mid cap and total international stock that YTD is only 3.65% (no bonds, 1% cash). You would have to be very astute to know what funds/stocks to buy and hold to beat the total S&P this year. Obviously these index funds were not the choice to hold.

I was under the impression most folks here were more balanced with International and Bonds, but to get better than 3.65% as of July 31, you would have to be playing some trades or high risk funds in the right sectors or all in on the S&P to ride, and have stayed away from bonds/funds and international.

As i stated recently, i am currently at 14.89%. I have mostly large cap growth funds with heavy tech. One in particular us the Wells Fargo Premier Growth Fund blast year I ended with 24% including fees. I have not held any bond funds in the last three years. This is very unconventional being so close to retirement, however I do have a significant pension i will get and if I had to I could work part time as well. I am going very aggressive purposely. I watch the fund every day. Im in the fund one day, I am out a little the next, Iím back in. I buy dips, etc.
pompanobeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 05:31 PM   #468

My FA manages 70 to 80 large cap dividend stocks, I own no funds or etfs. All my dividends are transferred to my checking account and not reinvested so my return would be even greater if I didn't just blow the dough.

He beats the S&P 500 consistently including his 1% AUM fee.
Old 08-09-2018, 05:38 PM   #469

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedom56 View Post
Typically hold to maturity unless it was a lower coupon bond/note purchased at a significant discount to par and approached par. For example I purchased some Seagate technology 2027 notes a while ago for $84 and sold them at $100.6 about 8 months later. In the case of this particular Centurylink note, with a 7.5% coupon and YTM of over 8%, I'm holding to maturity unless the business picture changes.
OK thanks.
Old 08-23-2018, 01:24 PM   #470

On another thread, an old friend of mine asked how my very own dividend portfolio was doing. OK, old friend, here is how it is doing as of this very day (8-23-18). It is up 2.49% YTD. This month's benchmark is Wellington Admiral which is up 2.98% Luckily for me I also own this Wellington in another account.

The 2.49% includes all that I have in this particular portfolio--which includes cash and some CD's. But, I'm going to try to just follow my Dividend Stocks to see how they are doing. I have the feeling that I'm not doing so well. That coupled with ER50's point of view and clear explanations that there is nothing special about Dividend Stocks (and probably more so they way I am doing them), it seems that perhaps I've taken up an expensive hobby.
Old 08-25-2018, 09:23 AM   #471

According to Vanguard for my portfolio:

Wellesley Admiral: -.09%
Wellington Admiral: 2.22%
Health Care Admiral: 7.43%
Dividend Growth Fund: 6.12%

My entire portfolio: 3.4%

I'm hoping for a Santa Claus rally in a few months.
Old 08-25-2018, 01:30 PM   #472
Recycles dryer sheets

Up 5.14% YTD

I did a lot of juggling of funds when I retired June 1 so posting my current portfolio wouldn't be of any value.

Retired June 1, 2018

RE AA 65/25/10
Ed B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 05:45 PM   #473
Recycles dryer sheets

I havenít posted on a YTD thread before so here goes my first attempt:

VWIAX -.09
FUSVX 6.44
FSDAX 10.91
FCTX 11.65

With the addition of a chunk in the FZDXX MM fund, and using the YTD calculator posted earlier, the 2018 increase so far is 9.77%.
Sanstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 03:56 PM   #474

I've been up about 3% YTD with a calculated projection of about 5% for the year, based on the year's performance. Because of January's high and the subsequent slow down, those numbers may be skewed to the low side.

Yesterday (8/27) brought me back to where I should be at this time on a 6% projected run.

I did a check on my last 6 weeks average performance and if I run those numbers, I'm looking at just under 8% for the year--should things continue. Which is where I usually land.

My point is that at least for me, things seem to have quietly ramped up over the past several weeks despite a lackluster spring/summer
Old 08-28-2018, 04:29 PM   #475

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko View Post
I've been up about 3% YTD with a calculated projection of about 5% for the year, based on the year's performance.
I never bother to project out where I might be in the future with my portfolio; that's up to the whims of the market. I figure there's no reason to fret over not hitting the projection or celebrate beating the projection since it was based on some arbitrary time span and mr. market's arbitrary mood at the time.

I guess I should say "over short spans, like a year". Of course I'm counting on the market doing generally what it's been doing, but not looking at anything shorter than a decade or so.
sengsational is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 04:35 PM   #476

Quote:
Originally Posted by sengsational View Post
I never bother to project out where I might be in the future with my portfolio; that's up to the whims of the market. I figure there's no reason to fret over not hitting the projection or celebrate beating the projection since it was based on some arbitrary time span and mr. market's arbitrary mood at the time.
It's more of an idle curiosity for me. More like: "if the trend continues, I'll be at $X". I don't plan, expect or fret anything until 12/31.

Never count the money till the money's in the bank.

It's more of a carryover from my work days when I was doing probability studies for forecasting sales.

I just found it interesting to see an acceleration of performance (i.e. my balance growing faster) over the past month or two vs the first part of the year and see that as an encouraging sign.
Old 08-28-2018, 06:51 PM   #477

I don't have the numbers for today's close, but I added everything up this morning, and had to do a double-take. Rate of return was showing at 6.66%. I'm not religious, but thought it was...interesting. But then I looked again...6.68%. Guess I need to stop getting my eyeglasses at Big Lots and go see an optometrist!
Andre1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 09:33 PM   #478
Confused about dryer sheets

I was at 9.14% this morning. 90/10
chucmin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 09:57 PM   #479
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko View Post
... Never count the money till the money's in the bank...
Darn, then I can count only the money in my checking account, which is usually less than $10K. Not good.

Hey, am I allowed to count the cash in our I-bond and investment accounts? I run 20 to 30% cash there, you know?
Old 08-28-2018, 11:54 PM   #480

Ny biggest fund, which is the 3/4 of my IRA, is up13%

Souschef is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
2018, ytd