2018 YTD investment performance thread

From Jan. 1st till July 1st I'm up 3.40%. I feel great about that since the DJ is down about 500 points.

Up 1.4% (YTD IRR taking withdrawals into account). Not great but last year ended up at +17%.

I'll take it as a gain. Thru 6/30 YTD I'm DFE. 0%.

I'd take zero as a gain as I'm -0.8% for the year. My own fault for being light in tech as I'm still trying to get out of individual stock and into mutuals.

Well, I posted when I was outperforming the index's, so I suppose I'd be a hypocrite if I didn't post when I'm doing the opposite.
Large taxable brokerage account: -5.67%
Culprits: CCK-IDV-JNJ-KHC-MMM

Small (45k) IRA +1.35%

Last edited:
I’m still pokin along and getting by with what I have. Up .2 and still ahead of my projections from 4 yrs ago when I pulled the plug.

YTD

730FBA9C-BB07-4EAD-A396-94D9516F2226.jpg

Still hanging... hopefully a trade war (dispute) does not get out of hand. I’m still 65% / 35%. I retired 3 years ago.

I think everyone is looking at this all wrong. I look at the last 30 years and show an 8.3% annual return using a 60/40 AA and rebalancing about once a year. So YTD down .001% but who cares. Not going to change anything I do except maybe rebalance sooner. Last year I had to balance 3 times because stocks went up 25% plus. Selling stocks buying bonds. Maybe this year I will be selling bonds and buying stocks. But in either case I will be selling higher performing assets and buying lower performing assets. And did anyone think the market could continue up forever? I think it's a good thing we are getting a correction.

Look at the long term, and forget about what has happened in the last year.

I look at this thread as everyone looking, and not necessarily getting it all wrong, or all right. Simply reporting you are X% performance for a year is the equivalent of sitting around a checkerboard in the park, and passing the time.
What is measured is managed...

3.13% YTD I was surprised. Mostly US stocks with about 10% international. Some bonds and about 5% in REITs

3.13% YTD I was surprised. Mostly US stocks with about 10% international. Some bonds and about 5% in REITs

Curious - do folks consider REITS as part of their Stk or Bnd portion of their portfolio?

I consider REIT as "hard asset" class; they act different enough to warrant separation IMO.

Close to 0% YTD (after correcting for withdrawals). AA is roughly 50/50.

When I report on US Stk Allocation here, REIT index is in that 50% or so.
When I break this US Stk down further in my sheet, REIT is a sub-cat, 5.5% overall.
I follow some individual REITs (O, HTA, etc.), and they do act differently.

I think everyone is looking at this all wrong. I look at the last 30 years and show an 8.3% annual return using a 60/40 AA and rebalancing about once a year. So YTD down .001% but who cares. Not going to change anything I do except maybe rebalance sooner. Last year I had to balance 3 times because stocks went up 25% plus. Selling stocks buying bonds. Maybe this year I will be selling bonds and buying stocks. But in either case I will be selling higher performing assets and buying lower performing assets. And did anyone think the market could continue up forever? I think it's a good thing we are getting a correction.

Look at the long term, and forget about what has happened in the last year.

WOW! That is interesting that 8.3% is an average annually over 30 years. Thanks for sharing that data. I have a 73% in equities now and no plans to change it going forward.

YTD: -0.57 regarding total investments.
57/28/15

As soon as I muster up the nerve, I'll separate out my Dividend stocks to see how they did.

My YTD is 9.25% in my portfolio. I am mostly in Growth funds and Tech funds. I own no bonds at all. The entire portfolio is in my deferred comp Prudential account. I do move funds around several times a year.

+7% 99% equities, DIV yield sitting around 8.5% with most holdings ETFs, one Index and a few individuals. Keep her balanced to 50% large, 25/25 MidCap/SmallCap.

I was up over 9% at one point this past cpl weeks. Seya next month.

YTD: -0.57 regarding total investments.
57/28/15

As soon as I muster up the nerve, I'll separate out my Dividend stocks to see how they did.

Ok, all mustered up:

My Dividend stocks were down -3.15 YTD (dividends included).

My benchmark is the Average YTD (well, as of 7/6/18) of Wellington Admiralty (VWENX) and Wellesley Admiralty (VWIAX). The benchmark YTD is down -1.10 (the math was done in good faith).

Curious - do folks consider REITS as part of their Stk or Bnd portion of their portfolio?

i NORMALLY treat REITs as a separate asset class ( like i do with LICs )

however some REITs ( basically property managers rather than developers ) i treat as bond proxies ( a substitute for interest bearing securities )

Somewhere around 72% YTD. I feel like with these numbers I can ignore the stuff after the decimal point. :angel:

Attachments

• ytd.jpg
    ytd.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 45
  • chart76.jpg
    chart76.jpg
    110 KB · Views: 39
Back
Top Bottom