2018 YTD investment performance thread

robnplunder

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Wow, what a way to start the 1st two trading days of 2018! I hope this bodes well for the rest of the year.

As before, this thread is about "investment" performance. That is, this thread is more about sharing what investment is working and not working YTD.

See the links below for previous YTD performance threads.

http://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f28/2017-ytd-investment-performance-thread-84822.html

2016 YTD investment performance thread

2015 YTD investment performance thread

Good luck to us all!

I'm up 1.8% so far in 2018.

You asked.

OK, full disclosure: the 1.18%(not 1.8) is only my etrade play account with 28K.

TSP- .32%
401K-.29%
ROTH IRA-.1.34%(2017)
ROTH IRA-.84% (2016)
etrade 1.18%

Pension got a 2% increase for 2018. JOB gave me a 3%.

BUT, Price of gas here went from 2.33 last week to 2.56 this week. Oh well.

Quicken says I'm up 108.96% YTD I like it, at this rate it'll be up roughly 22,000% by the end of the year and I'll be able to buy my first bitcoin!

Since I seemed to post the highest yield in 2017, I decided to take the torch and start the new 2018 ytd thread. Mods forgive me if one is started.

+1.4% 99% stocks. 10% AAPL.

Last edited:
I'll check back with you quarterly. If I look any more frequently than that, the urge to do that which I shouldn't (market time) gets too strong. We are off to a good start though!

I just saw that robnplunder beat you to it. Both threads have the same title!

Last edited:
2.34% in two trading days. Crazy. That's almost as much as what I spent in 2017.

Stock AA up to 73% now. The rest mostly in cash.

PS. Could have been a bit higher, if it were not for options that I wrote as a hedge that reduced the gain.

The market will crash soon, the way it's going.

One year from now there will be 4 threads entitled
"2019 YTD investment performance thread"

One year after that there will be 8 threads entitled
"2020 YTD investment performance thread"

Then 16 threads entitled
"2021 YTD investment performance thread"

Etc.

I merged the threads, doubling the YTD returns for everyone. (at least I think that’s how it works)

This is probably my last entry in this thread.

My portfolio is quite boring, mostly Total Stock Market/Total Bond Market, with some money also in HealthCare. Performance usually mirrors a standard 62/38 equity/income split within +/- 0.5%.

.768% on a 60/40 AA.

Applying the common bias that what is happening will continue to happen, I plan to cash out at the end of the year after doubling my portfolio. Still tempted to divert half into Bitcoins and reap 1000% but I'm risk averse so I will settle for 100%. Party like it's 1999.

People will keep enthusiastically posting when things inevitably turn around and the numbers go negative, right?

I won’t post until after end of month. Too much work.

I merged the threads, doubling the YTD returns for everyone. (at least I think that’s how it works)

Thank you, almighty. hehehe. While your busy doubling our folio's could you peak at that c-ball and give me the powerball #s for Saturday ;)

Quicken says I'm up 108.96% YTD I like it, at this rate it'll be up roughly 22,000% by the end of the year and I'll be able to buy my first bitcoin!
:) We all know that Quicken annualizes the number unless one gives the date range of 1/1/2018 to 12/31/2018.

People will keep enthusiastically posting when things inevitably turn around and the numbers go negative, right?

I still remember the painful days of late 2008 when blood was flowing in the street. Posters who [-]caught the falling knife[/-] rebalanced were crying murder.

I still remember FIRED, who was FIREDreamer back then, bemoaned that he was simply throwing money down an abyss. Haha bought some stocks, which promptly got decimated causing him to say he had his head handed to him.

I was making posts encouraging people to "Buy, buy, buy", and then it became "buy, buy, buy".

It was a unique period, when people were testing each other on their knowledge of the Great Depression. We also talked about the Dust Bowl. Misery loves company. It was one heck of a time. Many posters quietly disappeared.

And it's not even 10 years.

I still remember the painful days of late 2008 when blood was flowing in the street. Posters who [-]caught the falling knife[/-] rebalanced were crying murder.

I still remember FIRED, who was FIREDreamer back then, bemoaned that he was simply throwing money down an abyss. Haha bought some stocks, which promptly got decimated causing him to say he had his head handed to him.

I was making posts encouraging people to "Buy, buy, buy", and then it became "buy, buy, buy".

It was a unique period, when people were testing each other on their knowledge of the Great Depression. We also talked about the Dust Bowl. Misery loves company. It was one heck of a time. Many posters quietly disappeared.

And it's not even 10 years.

I went through the abyss 3 times in my lifetime. Without the forum's existence or my awareness of its existence, DW took most of my whining, moaning, etc.. She and I can laugh about them now. But it taught me a lesson to have a balanced portfolio.

I figure when it happens, there will be quite a fall-off in reporting. In earlier sell offs, I recall the pain of the quarterly statement and wanting to get it recorded in my tracker quickly, then find something else to think about as soon as possible.

Even in brag times like now, reporting once a month is too often, but I can't help myself, heh.

No, it is return of .97% as of 1/4/2019.
stock 53.86%
bond 33.20%
cash 12.94%

My comment that it was return not yield was directed at someone else’s post.
Since I seemed to post the highest yield in 2017, I decided to take the torch and start the new 2018 ytd thread. Mods forgive me if one is started.

+1.4% 99% stocks. 10% AAPL.
Two threads were merged so the order was broken.

The stock market is going absolutely nuts. I am up 1% ytd with an AA at 60/40.

You'd think this first week of 2018 would make me giddy, but this market exuberance laid atop the craziness going on in this country & the world is frankly giving me the heebie geebies......

Back
Top Bottom