2019 tax software

I use the H & R Block Deluxe + State, it has all the same forms as the premium.
Just doesn't do some parts of the hand hold interview.

I have self employment and rental, both of which hrblock suggest below premium is not the correct software.

Thanks! I won't need the state, but will need to deduct business expenses.

The state tax form for Colorado is so simple that I wonder why I buy TT w/ the state tax s/w. I don't use TT to file the taxes either since it is so easy to file online.
It is just another $10, but still...

Do you use TT for your state taxes?

I purchase the state but TT charges $25-$30 to FILE the state, so I just enter the state data online for free.

I do like having the state software so I can do some "what-if" scenarios to easily see how my choices impact my total tax bill (fed +state) instantly.

I purchase the state but TT charges $25-$30 to FILE the state, so I just enter the state data online for free.

I do like having the state software so I can do some "what-if" scenarios to easily see how my choices impact my total tax bill (fed +state) instantly.

I’ll have to look into that. I get TT with the State, but because of the cost to e-file, I just print it out and mail it. I’ll have to see if there is a free way to do it online.

I’ll have to look into that. I get TT with the State, but because of the cost to e-file, I just print it out and mail it. I’ll have to see if there is a free way to do it online.
I think my state may have that, but something made it seem a bit complicated, so I just went with printing and mailing from TT.

I like getting the H&R block Taxcut software that includes the state version.

That way I print it out for the 3 people whose taxes I do.
For ours, I do the State tax online, but have the taxcut one beside to compare and make sure I don't miss anything on the State site (as their software is convoluted).

It is interesting to see that we discuss & are keen on saving even $5 or $10 on a Tax Prep software. Just saying.
Here we have the well heeled & generally well off when compared to an average joe.

It is interesting to see that we discuss & are keen on saving even $5 or $10 on a Tax Prep software. Just saying.
Here we have the well heeled & generally well off when compared to an average joe.

We save not becasue we need the money but becasue we have the opportunity to do so. I think it’s in the DNA of this community.

Saving big and small, here and there helped many of us became "well heeled." It's in our DNA as MB noted.

I don't mind spending money, but I hate wasting money.

Saving big and small, here and there helped many of us became "well heeled." It's in our DNA as MB noted.

I don't mind spending money, but I hate wasting money.

Yep. At the grocery store years ago, I was standing there calculating unit price on toothpaste, deciding which to get, when my kid asked me why we worry about the price of toothpaste, but we can go on an African safari. I told them we could go on an African safari in part BECAUSE we save our pennies whenever possible.

And when it comes to something like TT, it's not like you need to be worried about the quality whether you get it at USAA, Fidelity, Best Buy, Amazon, or wherever, it's all the same product, so why not get the lowest price? (As long as you don't spend hours on it to save a dollar or three, which IMO is not a productive use of my time.)

It's to stay in the habit. You're right, $5 or $10 really isn't worth the sweat. What about $50 or $100? Long term, not really. $500 or $1000? Where is the line? Instead of trying to choose a line where it matters, why not just be in the habit of always saving a buck when you can?

For me, it's worth buying now and missing on possible savings by waiting because I want to use it for my estimates before the end of the year. And it's worth paying more for TT over H&R B because I had some serious issues with H&R the year I tried it. But within those constraints, I'll try to optimize my TT price by getting the probably low price before the end of the year.

And there's the thrill of the hunt. Would you be happy about finding $5 on the sidewalk? I would be. I'm also happy to find a $5 off deal. Free money.

I do the same, like it is in our DNA & we are taking the habit with us till our end.

Try to tell that to the kids.

I see TT premier on AMZN for 69.88 . Is it ever any cheaper than this?

Last edited:
I see TT premier on AMZN for 69.88 . Is it ever any cheaper than this?
See post #7 from gerntz. My price tracker on Amazon (camel*3) verifies that $54.99 price on or about Jan 9. Will the same happen this year? Probably, maybe not.

If I wanted our needed it right now, I’d go buy it, but I don’t. I like to play the game. We all know when it will be on sale and that timeframe meets my needs, so I’ll wait. No muss, no fuss savings. Simple equation. I’d rather that $10 be in my pocket rather than someone else’s. If it was any trouble, the equation may be different.

I have been using tax programs for decades. In recent years, I used TaxAct, which I learned about from this forum. Then, they started to raise the price, and it was outrageous last year. So, I went back to H&R Block Deluxe and saved some money. I was pleased that it could download 1099 from various brokerages for me.

Planned on using H&R software again this year. Thanks to several posters above for telling me to wait till Black Friday.

See post #7 from gerntz. My price tracker on Amazon (camel*3) verifies that $54.99 price on or about Jan 9. Will the same happen this year? Probably, maybe not.

Thanks! I can wait until January/February. One of my brokerages sends the 1099B’s as late as possible and always seems to amend them later still. Anyway, if I did it right, I won’t be getting much back or may even owe a little.

I paid my $70+ tax. My ole man splits the cost and he paper files, so it was like $35 for me to get a head start... I think Fed should owe me a cpl hundred, and I will owe the state a few hundred if my super diligent tax planning was as accurate as my super diligent accounting/tracking. :cool:

I might paper file state if ole man wants to e-file...fielders choice.

When is the last time someone got a free turbo tax offer from fidelity and about how much do you have in your account (ballpark) do you have to get such an offer? I have a little north of 250K and I am guessing that that is not enough for them to make sure an offer. Thanks.

We are frugal and doing the best that we can not to cross over that thin line between frugal and cheap.

Since we can well afford it, why is still a bit of a mystery to me.

When is the last time someone got a free turbo tax offer from fidelity and about how much do you have in your account (ballpark) do you have to get such an offer? I have a little north of 250K and I am guessing that that is not enough for them to make sure an offer. Thanks.

I'm a Fidelity Premium Services client and last year received Turbox Premier online version for federal return, state return not included. I mistakenly signed up for Turbotax outside of the Fidelity website and therefore was initially charged, but Fidelity kindly reimbursed me. This year, I have enough household assets at T.Rowe Price where they offer both Turbotax Premier federal and state online tax return for free. This time, I'll be sure to sign up for TurboTax within T.Rowe Price's website.

Thanks. I have my 401K with TRowe. Last year they offered $20 off on TT. Whatever I picked I did both federal and tax both online and paid around $100. Ouch. I am willing to pay for convenience though but am of course always looking for a better offer.

I just got my TT Deluxe and loaded it. You have the option this year to load it through Win7 or Win10/
I loaded it on Win 7 PC and it ran fine. Friday I am getting a new Win 10 PC, and will have the tech load all my files and programs on it. It will be interesting to see if my MS Office will be OK, as well as my Abobe Acrobat.

Back
Top Bottom