Join Early Retirement Today

2019 Year-End Distributions
Old 11-01-2019, 06:38 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

2019 Year-End Distributions

Please to forgive, if someone's already posted on this topic and I somehow missed it.

T. Rowe Price has posted preliminary estimates for 2019 YED's.
https://www.troweprice.com/personal-...ributions.html
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-01-2019, 07:11 PM   #2
Give me a forum ...

Fidelity’s is out as well as of a few days ago.

https://www.fidelity.com/mutual-fund...able=estimated
Old 11-01-2019, 07:36 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
Please to forgive, if someone's already posted on this topic and I somehow missed it.

T. Rowe Price has posted preliminary estimates for 2019 YED's.
https://www.troweprice.com/personal-...ributions.html
Yes. In general they also provide an updated set of numbers that are slightly more accurate around Thanksgiving.
Old 11-01-2019, 07:49 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Fidelity’s is out as well as of a few days ago.

https://www.fidelity.com/mutual-fund...able=estimated
Thanks for the link.
Old 11-01-2019, 08:11 PM   #5

Here are Schwabs:

https://www.schwabfunds.com/public/c...tributions-tax
Old 11-02-2019, 04:47 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Vanguard's site says preliminary estimates will be posted on Dec. 10th.
Old 11-02-2019, 06:56 AM   #7

I like that none of my FIDO index funds in my taxable account have any year end distributions. Very tax efficient.
Old 11-02-2019, 07:09 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Anyone else finding that so far 2019 estimates look smaller than 2018? Not complaining- capital gain distributions on funds in my after-tax accounts are one of the major drivers of my taxes that I can't control.
athena53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 07:28 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodi View Post

I see the 2018 distributions but not seeing any 2019 estimates, just the schedule for 2019 distributions. Am I missing something?
zinger1457 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 08:23 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

The TRP distros are a lot smaller, which suggests that the VG ones will be smaller too (not that we ever got that much CG from VG funds).

We were planning to spend them on home renovation projects. Now, it looks like we'll need to use more savings than planned.

Still, considering that distros aren't truly "income," it doesn't distress me that they have been reduced. It does reduce our tax bite.

Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
Anyone else finding that so far 2019 estimates look smaller than 2018? Not complaining- capital gain distributions on funds in my after-tax accounts are one of the major drivers of my taxes that I can't control.
Old 11-02-2019, 11:26 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Yes, thank God! I prefer my distributions stay under 4% - enough to cover annual withdrawal and a bit of rebalancing. That has not been true for the last few market rah-rah years.

This year's lower dists are due to that nasty correction in Dec/Jan

I've also been slowly getting rid of the active managed funds in my taxable investments that pay high cap gains dists, so my taxable income should be lower this year anyway.
Old 11-02-2019, 11:49 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Last year there was a significant downdraft in the market at the end of the year.

I think lots of people sold because of that downdraft.

To meet those redemption requests, the mutual funds had to sell shares.

Those shares, if held for any amount of time, probably had unrealized capital gains.

Those gains, once realized, had to be reported as gains distributions and taxed.

That's my thought, anyway.
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
SecondCor521 is online now   Reply With Quote
Math Question
Old 11-02-2019, 01:52 PM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

Math Question

I have Fidelity and TRowe funds in taxable accounts. The cap gains and dividends I receive are my only income and they help me qualify for the Healthcare Subsidy. Can somebody confirm the calculation I need to do for each fund?

For example, I own 2633 shares of a Fidelity fund. Lets say each share value was $15.57. It will pay out 5.18% of NAV on Dec 23. Do I multiply one share ($15.57) by 5.18% and times it by 2633?

Thanks!
Fleur58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 03:17 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleur58 View Post
I have Fidelity and TRowe funds in taxable accounts. The cap gains and dividends I receive are my only income and they help me qualify for the Healthcare Subsidy. Can somebody confirm the calculation I need to do for each fund?

For example, I own 2633 shares of a Fidelity fund. Lets say each share value was $15.57. It will pay out 5.18% of NAV on Dec 23. Do I multiply one share ($15.57) by 5.18% and times it by 2633?

Thanks!
That sounds about right, but it would be easier to use the $x.xx/share distribution numbers (times your number of shares) instead of the percentage. The actual distributions are not calculated as percentages, that's just a calculated indicator. The percentage will change as the NAV changes, though these are just rough estimates.
Animorph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 04:33 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Yes - usually the distribution is reported in $ terms and I just multiply by the number of shares. That’s the cleanest.

If the distribution is reported as a % of NAV - it’s going to be of the NAV on a given stated date in the past. You have to look up the NAV that day, them multiply by the % of NAV and again by the number of shares you own.
Old 11-02-2019, 07:23 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Our distributions paid through 10/31 are running just a smidge above half of what we got last year through 10/31!

Just finished my spreadsheet where I start collecting cap gains estimates, but I also enter distributions paid YTD so I get a total paid by each fund. Quite a few funds are predicting 0 cap gains distributions, so I expect the next two months to be significantly lower as well.

I am missing quite a few estimates though. By 11/15 I usually have most of them and a clearer picture.
Old 11-02-2019, 08:33 PM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

Thanks Animorph and Audreyh1 for your responses. If I don't meet my minimum I have to do a Roth conversion the end of December to make up the shortfall. It's good to be prepared with an estimate.
Fleur58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 05:46 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodi View Post
2018?

edit --- looks like distribution dates may be 2019, but amounts data look like 2018 from the few I looked at.
bingybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 09:27 AM   #19

I like this thread. The preliminary estimated distributions help me in planning for possible Roth IRA conversions in December. Still waiting for preliminary estimated distributions on some inherited mutual funds at Janus, American Century, and DWS Scudder.
swakyaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 10:12 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

I mentioned the Fido estimates last week in another thread. They are lower than last year's (and 2017's) to the point where I may not go over the ACA subsidy cliff this year, with some careful management between now and the end of the year. Because my main year-end estimate will take place on Friday, December 27th, I won't have much time to make my adjustments after the actual distributions are posted. And not all funds have had their distributions posted yet, so I'll be checking back from time to time.

Dreyfus-Mellon usually posts their around November 8th, so I'll be looking for them in a few days.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2019 year-end distros, capital gains, dividends