2019 YTD Investment Performance Thread

I always look at the total return of all my accounts, and I have 20 accounts over several brokerages. Some of low-return accounts are intended that way, for example the Treasury Direct accounts. Even of the stock accounts, I hold the highly volatile stocks in the Merrill Edge accounts, and keep the more stable ones at other brokerages. The simple reason for that is that I have the no-commission privilege with Merrill Edge and do more trading there than at Schwab for example, who only went zero-commission recently.

Hence, I cannot look at just my Merrill Edge accounts in a bull year and claim trading prowess. These accounts are also the ones that drop the most in a market correction.

Quicken makes it easy for me to see everything on a single screen, and I even include the cash in my banking accounts, my HSA, etc... Every liquid account is there.

Ended 2019 at 20.09%, combining mine and wife's return, both basically 60/40 AA.Hope it continues, maybe I will make 2023!

Was there nobody who just had all Apple stock and made 95% or whatever this year? lol. Maybe they are on their yacht and out of internet range, too cheap to use their helicopter or sat phone.

My largest single stock holding is Apple. I haven't finished up my 2019 calculations, but do have some preliminary data. My five largest individual holdings:
1. Apple (AAPL) + 86.2% (about 8% of my net worth)
2. Edwards Life Science (EW) + 52.3%
3. Analog Devices (ADI) +38.5%
4. Marriott (MAR) +39.5%
5. Honeywell (HON) +34.0%
Together these make up 24.3% of my equity holdings.

I am about 63% equity as of today. A rough guess at 2019 YTD would +30.3% on my equity positions (both individual and index funds (mostly passive)), and roughly +19.5% overall (my weighted return on cash/bonds was about 3%). None of these reflect reinvested dividends or reinvested interest payments. My weighted return on cash investments was in the 3% range (2.9% on CD's/money market, 3.1% on 401k Stable value fund).

It was a very good year from a financial perspective, perhaps my best $ gain ever. (I no longer keep month to month or year to year estimates of my net worth.)

I made more $ in Apple this year than I had in pension from ex-mega corp plus earnings from my (full time) college teaching gig.

I would be happy with a no-gain/no-loss 2020. :)

One nice thing for my investment performance, the return for the stable value bond fund in my 401K was up slightly in 2019 to 3.08%. It is a nice floor to have.

That's not particularly useful to just get part... if the 46% is in CDs averaging 3% and the 2% is earning 1%, then it is 11.0%. So I guess somewhere between 11.0% and 18.4%?
Sorry PB; After figuring in CD's, return is 17.08%. CD's represent 10.8% of total investments. I consider them part of our FI portfolio, but as they are not in our brokerage accounts I tend to track them separately.

One nice thing for my investment performance, the return for the stable value bond fund in my 401K was up slightly in 2019 to 3.08%. It is a nice floor to have.

There has been mention from time to time about stable value funds in comparison to money market funds. It’s the only reason why I keep a 457 account at T Rowe Price open rather than rolling it over to an existing IRA at Fidelity or Vanguard (for consolidation/simplification).

I was never sure whether it was true but recently reviewed the annual return of my stable value fund versus Vanguard’s Prime Money Market Fund and sure enough, over the past ten years, the difference was enough to take notice.

Ended 2019 w/ 24.4% return, AA 90/10.

Last December, my real estate agent asked advice and I have the text where I suggested Apple at 165 and still falling, telling her it should pop back to 200 quickly, and I predicted 220 by year end. I had anticipated 30-35% return... of course she didn't pull the trigger and I don't trade individual stocks much anymore other than to get out of the numerous once I bought 2009-2011. And then I lament about why don't i just follow my own advise. (oh yes because I bought WORK :facepalm: on opening day and I banned myself from stock picking for a year).

Whoa, it so happens that I just checked the stable value fund in my wife's 401k. Its return in 2019 was 4.7%.

Too bad that this fund is only 11% of what I consider my cash holdings.

Final tally for 2019 was 18.2% with 50/50 AA. I'd be happy with less than 1/2 of that, but it was a great year.

Whoa, it so happens that I just checked the stable value fund in my wife's 401k. Its return in 2019 was 4.7%.

Too bad that this fund is only 11% of what I consider my cash holdings.
That's a great return on the SVF. My SVF turned in 3.73% in 2019, and I thought that was pretty good.

That's a great return on the SVF. My SVF turned in 3.73% in 2019, and I thought that was pretty good.

My SVF yielded a net 3.83% in 2019.
The yield was changed on 12/31 to a net 3.50%. Still pretty good and represents 48% of my Fixed Income portfolio.

I am 63

Total Vanguard Return - 18.5 %
Started the year at 50% Stocks & ending at 56%, due to increasing Market returns.

Bank Savings & CDs which are 5% of overall AA managed around 2+% return.

Probable a great year of Investment returns for me

I did not know that the 4.7% return of the SVF in my wife's 401k is exceptional and not the norm. I usually never paid much attention to it.

I looked back and just saw that the return in 2018 was 5.4%. In 2017, it was 4.5%.

I did not know that the 4.7% return of the SVF in my wife's 401k is exceptional and not the norm. I usually never paid much attention to it.

I looked back and just saw that the return in 2018 was 5.4%. In 2017, it was 4.5%.

Yes, currently anything over 3% is fairly good and anything over 4% is exceptional.

November 2019
  • +19.27% Total Portfolio Value increase YTD (30-Nov-2019)
  • +12.91% Estimated YTD Performance (30-Nov-2019), total pie weighted
  • 50-45-05 (Stk-Bnd-Csh) Target AA
YTD Benchmark for managed 50/50 portfolio:
  • 50/50 American Funds American Balanced Fund 14.68%
YTD Benchmark for indexed 50/50 portfolio:
  • Russell 2000 19.87%
  • Bloomberg Barclays U.S. Aggregate Bond 7.40%
  • 50/50 Benchmark 13.64%
December 2019
  • +28.10% Total Portfolio Value increase YTD (31-Dec-2019)
  • +16.83% YTD Performance (31-Dec-2019), total pie weighted
  • 50-45-05 (Stk-Bnd-Csh) Target AA
YTD Benchmark for managed 50/50 portfolio:
  • 50/50 American Funds American Balanced Fund 19.55%

Up 120% last year, up about 5% so far this year.

It makes me feel weird.

Without final quarter reports for 2 private equities (probably close to zero), 15.4% on a 44/56 AA.

Following robnplunder’s suggestion to post what investments work/worked for you: the highest-returning fund in my portfolio for 2019 was Vanguard US Growth (VWUAX, 33.51%).

I’ll ‘fess up to what didn’t work. My less than 1% bet on weed stocks. I’m hanging on to them to remind me not to pick individual stocks.

Following robnplunder’s suggestion to post what investments work/worked for you: the highest-returning fund in my portfolio for 2019 was Vanguard US Growth (VWUAX, 33.51%).

That is not bad, but I am still not impressed. :) Not in a year when S&P returns more than 31%.

A growth fund has to be significantly higher. I think the MF manager was too timid. Pedal to the metal if you call yourself a growth fund.

Back
Top Bottom