2019 YTD Investment Performance Thread

Thanks for the link to that simulation game. I was not savvy enough to be able to see the results but I'm not surprised by what you describe the results are.

I also believe that people are reporting accurately on this thread, but I think the people who are reporting are a very skewed sample-we are not hearing from many of the people who got hurt by market timing or picking stocks. It's completely understandable but I think for the boring index fund investor who does not market time it's important to bear this in mind and not get thrown off by the gains and success stories you read here.

I see a lot of people working to an age far older than they would like or should be necessary given their income. I suspect a lot of them did very poorly with their investments. We don't hear many of their stories but if we only knew I think it would help the index fund investor feel much more comfortable that they are not missing out.

+1 Well stated!

There was a thread about a guy who was going to make tons of money trading on Robin Hood, and post results continuously. Haven't seen that thread in a long time.

I think he is still around. I saw him on MMM and he was up to about $6800 from the initial $2500 as of Jan 2019. Not sure why he has not updated here unless he got ridiculed?

There's a wealth of information here. But one can't read it all. Threads with ridicule fall to the bottom of my interest list, or get ignored altogether.
OTH, this thread is pure enjoyment!

Hey guys,

I prepared this bar chart to show progression of my networth. Let me know what you think :)

All figures are in SGD '000

4nnc3Oc.png

I was planning to only update quarterly on this thread. But because my results YTD are so different from the norm, I thought it warranted a post.

YTD -9.69% Heavily short and feeling the pain!:facepalm:

^ Now was that for January of 2019 (YTD) or year end of 2018 (YTD)?

I was planning to only update quarterly on this thread. But because my results YTD are so different from the norm, I thought it warranted a post.

You might get some relief this week if still short. The China trade deal might fall through plus the government could shut down again if no wall deal can be made. It is all a crap shoot but I could see the market going down 2% to 4% next week.

Hey guys,

I prepared this bar chart to show progression of my networth. Let me know what you think :)

All figures are in SGD '000

4nnc3Oc.png

Not bad. I don't know your income, but you manage to have a healthy savings rate and your stash builds up nicely. Over the past 9 years, you put away $665K, and it is now $877K after growth. Congrats.

Well, your 2018 gain was quite good, so after giving back some you are still ahead of me. So, no sympathy here. ;)

Looking ahead, Goldman Sachs says all the gain for 2019 already happens in January, so the rest of the year will be about flat.

Yep, that jibes with my plan of writing out-of-the-money covered calls to squeeze a bit more profits out of my stocks. I will just carry on.

I'm up about 5.5% YTD, but I think this gain might be a little artificial bump due to having such a bad November/December last year. Just hoping to be at 5-6% total gain by year end.

Not bad. I don't know your income, but you manage to have a healthy savings rate and your stash builds up nicely. Over the past 9 years, you put away $665K, and it is now $877K after growth. Congrats.
Thanks, this view is even better. It shows cumulative inflow and cumulative gains.

xYlc6VN.png

20% of my current networth is gains. I did a what if scenario analysis of if I had invested 100% of my new inflow at the end of every year in Singapore local stock market index STI and I found that I beat it by 4% as of end 2018. But I guess MSCI ACWI, would have beaten me comfortably. My investments have been mostly in Indian Rupee fixed deposits and currency movements plays a big part.

Here in the US, I used to own shares of EWS, which is an ETF based on MSCI Singapore Index. It rebounded very strongly after the 2009 world-wide financial fiasco, but then flattened out in 2011-2016. Six years of no gain! Don't remember when I sold it, but do remember bragging here on this forum on the nice gain at some point in 2010. :)

The US market has beaten other markets around the world. Perhaps we will be paying for it in the years ahead.

PS. Just looked up on Quicken. I sold out of EWS in 2015, after 4 years of no gain.

Here in the US, I used to own shares of EWS, which is an ETF based on MSCI Singapore Index. It rebounded very strongly after the 2009 world-wide financial fiasco, but then flattened out in 2011-2016. Six years of no gain! Don't remember when I sold it, but do remember bragging here on this forum on the nice gain at some point in 2010. :)

The US market has beaten other markets around the world. Perhaps we will be paying for it in the years ahead.

PS. Just looked up on Quicken. I sold out of EWS in 2015, after 4 years of no gain.
I think the EWS is strong dividend yield stock, doesn't go up a lot. But it's valuation is quite low at the moment.

Up 6.90% YTD on a 55/45 AA.

I’m up 8.7 on 60/35/5 AA. And I heard the first robin of the year today. LTD.

I'm up 10.4%. I fired my FA and his pick of managed funds last year and put it all in equity index funds.

Jan 31 YTD: 9.45%
Feb 28 YTD: 12.34%

Stock AA reduced to 69% from about 75%. Return computed using Moneychimp method.

My 401K is rather aggressively invested in large cap growth through Principal PPUSX, but returning a very respectable 14.54% YTD (it has been fairly flat this week).

Jan 31 +3.58
Feb28 +14.57 and almost back to my 52 week high.just another ~4.5% to break the 52 week high

Last edited:
January 2019

• +5.52% Total Portfolio Value increase YTD
  • +4.56% YTD Performance, total pie weighted
  • 50-45-05 (Stk-Bnd-Csh) AA
Partial retirement soon, spouse working.
Nice start to the year.
No telling where the market may wander.
Best wishes to all for the investing year.
February 2019

• +8.54% Total Portfolio Value increase YTD
  • +6.71% YTD Performance, total pie weighted
  • 50-45-05 (Stk-Bnd-Csh) Target AA
;)
Part-time work schedule in place. Check!
Inheritance partially spliced to portfolio. Check!
Great start to the investing year.
Time to rebalance. Choppy waters ahead, I say...

Back
Top Bottom