Join Early Retirement Today

24K Retirement "budgets"
Old 10-29-2004, 07:10 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

24K Retirement "budgets"

There have been a number of posts on this board
with testamonials to the 24K budget. I and others I'm
sure would like to see even a rough itemization as to
how various ER's are spending these funds.
Maybe this subject has been visted before, but as a rather new member here, I'd sure be interested in
how the monies are spent and for what.

gwix
gwix98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: 24K Retirement "budgets"
Old 10-29-2004, 08:19 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Do a search for "24000" or "24,000" and change the days at the bottom from "7" to "999" or some such.

A lot of discussion has gone into these, and several people (self included) have given very detailed budgets.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2004, 08:38 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Here is my budget. I have 2 teenage boys living at home, so some of these expenses (clothing, AAA, auto ins,food, guitar) will drop once they are stabilized. That money will be allocated to Health Insurance once I ER. I work full time so Health ins is paid from my employer and my salary at this time.

I have a brand new house with stucco and tile roof. Maintenance is filters and carpet cleaning mostly.

Monthly 1150
Utilities (gas, water, phone, cell, garbage, DSL) 262
Auto Gas 50
HOA 97
Food/Misc 500
Guitar lessons 80
Satellite 61

Annual or Irregular avg 2059 month
AAA 109
Haircuts 150
Auto Ins /license 2432
Auto maintenance 600
House maintenance 600
Charity 600
Clothing 800
Gifts/Xmas 1100
Bug man 375
House ins 438
Med/Dental 500
NBA channel 160
Newspaper/Magazines 240
Property tax 4600

2208 month which is about 26500/yr.
KB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2004, 01:46 AM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

All right, Here's mine. This gets refined as I get more and more good ideas from this board, but this is basically what it looks like today:

Current

mortgage $0.00
taxes $100.00
home ins $45.00
electric $50.00
heat $140.00
water $30.00
misc* $90.00
food $400.00
hm phone $0.00
cable $50.00
cell phone $120.00
car ins $80.00
bike ins $35.00
excise $10.00
gas $225.00
clothes $30.00
gym $30.00
HC $0.00
isp $50.00
entrtnmnt $400.00

total $1,885.00
annual $22,620.00

Some comments:
1) This is pre-retirement budget (current). With
various random expenditures, its likely this eclipses
$24k per year.
2) If I allow for $24k/year, I can re-arrange plenty of $$ to pay for health care.
3) the "misc" category consists mainly of disposable regularly needed items (toothpaste, floss, etc).
4) There is also enough slack in here to save/buy for a used car/appliances, etc, if need be.
5) I'm single

-Pan-
When you walk in the shadow of insanity, the presence of another mind that thinks and acts as yours does is something close to a blessed event. -Robert Pirsig, Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance
panhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2004, 04:46 AM   #5
Full time employment: Posting here.

Hello This is what I am planning. I am still working and am living on this budget plus some work related expenses. This is a bit over 24000 but has a lot of provision for home maintenance, furniture replacement and car replacement.
monthly annual
Car ins 100 1200
Car Fuel 150 1800
Car mnt/purchase 300 3600
Phone internet TV 100 1200
Food 400 4800
Home mnt 200 2400
Major apps 50 600
Yard 50 600
Furniture 50 600
Property Taxes 120 1440
Hydro 100 1200
Home Ins 75 900
Ent/Traval 300 3600
Clothing 100 1200
MISC 100 1200
TOTAL 2195 26340

Good Luck
Old 10-30-2004, 07:00 AM   #6

I think I already posted some of my "real" expenses
as well as my hypothetical "$50 per day budget"
for a couple, which I still insist can be done in 2004 in the USA. Bare bones? You bet! But ER nevertheless.

Anyway, a few tips. Either a cell phone or land line, not both. No cable TV. Clothing, appliances, lawnmowers,
furniture bought almost exclusively at garage sales,
second hand shops, and/or auctions, or scrounged for free. No gym,
country club, or anything else where dues are required
(library card is okay ). Drive old cars and find a cheap
shade tree mechanic to keep them running. Assume
some risk with all of your insurance, or go the unclemick route and just skip a lot of it completely. Buy groceries
in big lots and on sale. Hunt and fish and have a garden. Honestly, if I was halfway handy, I could lower
our expenses by a lot even from where we are now,
which is way below what most here are planning to
spend.

John Galt
Old 10-30-2004, 08:50 AM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

Hey John Galt, good observations. The budget I posted is what I'm basically living on now while I'm working, thus health care (HC) is -0-. This is why I say there is LOTS of slop in this budget, and my er budget is similar. If I need to cut back, bye bye cable tv, which also gets rid of cable isp, which will also get rid of my cell phone, so now I would have a land line and dial up internet. Good enough. Food budget is very high and easily reduced. Gas expense is mainly from commuting to and from work. I would keep my gym membership, it's one of the hobbies I don't want to part with right now. Entertainment budget easily cut in half. Motorcycle insurance ? This is a MUST HAVE ! My cheaper budgets illustrate these points, just to see how low I cold go. If anyone is interested, I'll post some of the reduced spending budgets as well, just ask.

-Pan-

When you walk in the shadow of insanity, the presence of another mind that thinks and acts as yours does is something close to a blessed event. -Robert Pirsig, Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance
Old 10-30-2004, 01:06 PM   #8

One thing that will help anyone's budget is not
having a lot of cash in non-income-producing assets.
I would venture to guess that 100% of all our personal
property (including vehicles and boats) can't be worth
much over $15,000 tops! Why, just one of Cut-Throat's
cars (is it Lexuses or Lexi?) is worth more than that

John Galt
Old 10-30-2004, 02:04 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

The average middle class family has "personal assets" that range between $100k and 150k. This includes cars, appliances, furniture, jewelry and clothing.

Pretty amazing, huh?
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Old 10-30-2004, 02:13 PM   #10

Quote:
The average middle class family has "personal assets" that range between $100k and 150k. *This includes cars, appliances, furniture, jewelry and clothing.

Pretty amazing, huh?
I ran these numbers with my Insurance Agent about 5 years ago and we opted for $150K coverage. It could be 250K replacement cost now that excludes cars and appliances.

This includes Furniture, Jewelry, Art, Electronics (25K in stereo gear alone).

My wife's closet probably has over $30K alone and she has nothing to wear :
Old 10-30-2004, 02:16 PM   #11

Bruce, we're neighbours. I'm in London and I believe you are in the Niagara area. I pay about $2900 prop taxes on a $225 000 home?? Should I move to Ft. Erie?
Zipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2004, 02:21 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

I ran these numbers with my Insurance Agent about 5 years ago and we opted for $150K coverage. It could be 250K replacement cost now that excludes cars and appliances.

This includes Furniture, Jewelry, Art, Electronics (25K in stereo gear alone).

My wife's closet probably has over $30K alone and she has nothing to wear :
You're probably a little closer to the upper end of upper middle class life, which indeed sees net worth minus the home in the quarter million plus range.

Those numbers still boggle the mind.

I love my wife...she wears $20 outfits, thinks Budweiser is perfectly good beer and has very little interest in expensive stuff.
Old 10-30-2004, 02:27 PM   #13

Quote:

You're probably a little closer to the upper end of upper middle class life, which indeed sees net worth minus the home in the quarter million plus range.

Those numbers still boggle the mind.

I love my wife...she wears $20 outfits, thinks Budweiser is perfectly good beer and has very little interest in expensive stuff.
And TH, we never came close to the money that you were pulling down. But of course I worked until I was 50, and my wife is still working.

Not sure what you mean by ' sees net worth minus the home in the quarter million plus range.'
Old 10-30-2004, 02:36 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

My initial statement was the average middle class family has "stuff" (exclusive of the home) worth 100-150k. For an upper middle class family, that goes to the 250k range. Right where you said you were. You live in a nice house, you've got some nice cars, you've got some nice stuff...you sound like you're in the upper middle class living area, hence your "stuff" valued at 250k is pretty much right on.

Did I 'splain that better?
Old 10-30-2004, 02:51 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Yeah, I realized I fell into the "net worth" trap which means different things to different people, I meant "personal property, in exclusion of the home"...in george carlins parlance "Yer Stuff!"

As far as the "mind boggling" part, I cant believe MY STUFF cost as much in aggregate as it did.

I was reminded of this when starting my garage cleanup a few months ago. I had piled some truly useless junk into a big box and remarked to my wife "You know, in its day, this stuff cost roughly ten grand...and now its completely worthless".
Old 10-30-2004, 02:55 PM   #16

Hi Zipper! Don't pack too quickly. I am on a farm in Haldimand County. I pay lower taxes as my land is in agricultural production. The Taxes would be double if it were not. In addition I am not on town sewers or water and am responsible for my own septic bed and water. My own choice but sometimes when something goes wrong it can be a pain. Not usually too expensive as I am quite handy but inconvenient. I also have a natural gas well so heat is cheap for now. I have a friend in Fort Erie and their taxes are on a par with yours.

Bruce
Old 10-30-2004, 02:56 PM   #17

Quote:
I was reminded of this when starting my garage cleanup a few months ago. I had piled some truly useless junk into a big box and remarked to my wife "You know, in its day, this stuff cost roughly ten grand...and now its completely worthless".
My old computer stuff falls into this category.

But, I also have been squirreling away some Vacuum Tubes from the 40's,50's, and 60's that are no longer made. These tubes have done better than any stock I've ever owned! Some of them have doubled in less than a year!

E-Bay this winter! - I've got to get rid of some of this stuff!
Old 10-31-2004, 12:21 AM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

Sorry for the off topic question, but old vacuum tubes are worth money ? I know they still use vacuum tubes in some high end audio equipment, like some guitar amps, but I didn't know old ones they don't make any more are worth $$ ? Is this true ? Are you serious ? I ask, because I think my father has an entire cabinet dedicated to vacuum tubes, as he worked on em' when he was an engineer.

Got any links to check out ?

Old 10-31-2004, 01:56 AM   #19

Panhead

this is an antique electronic store
http://www.tubesandmore.com/

Search on E-bay for the tube your father has.

Many tubes are worth nothing but some have increased nicely. I say that as I have two or three large boxes of tubes. I have restored a few antique radios and want to build a higher end tube audio amp.

A few early tubes have risen in price astronomicaly. I do not think I have any of those.

There is a lot of information out there. I will try to post some more links when I am at work the middle of next week. I am in the market for soem old Rogers tubes that have the filament connection on top. (about $10 to$15) that were used in Rogers Batteryless radios.

Old 10-31-2004, 09:22 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
The average middle class family has "personal assets" that range between $100k and 150k. *This includes cars, appliances, furniture, jewelry and clothing.

Pretty amazing, huh?
I guess this is what they paid for them, not what they could get for them?

Once years ago I started adding up what I had paid for the books in our house. I could see I was heading toward a depressing figure, so I shut down the project.

Recently I liquidated some of them on Amazon. Some brought more then I paid, including an investment book that I sold for $175!

Mikey