Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-11-2015, 03:43 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I already feel like my time is passing by fast, no matter what the market does. In fact, with all of us, where's the guarantee that we will even make it to IRA RMD age?

If I lose money in the market, it bothers me because I get outsmarted, more than because I worry about financial hardship. If I have my life (and health), I can always cut back my standard of living. Have RV, will travel boondock. Heh heh heh... If DW does not want to come along, she can always ask to live with one of the kids. Heh heh heh...

* She does not read this forum.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-11-2015, 03:49 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
* She does not read this forum.
That is probably a very good thing. For you.
Old 03-11-2015, 03:53 PM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Actually, what would she be doing? What would be her choice? Going back to work?

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 03-11-2015, 04:36 PM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Paquette View Post
Oooooh! Scary market movements!

And yet, when I look at the media's 'disaster du jour' in the frame of a typical ER interval to date...

Attachment 21288

M. E. H. Meh...
What happened around 1995 to kick off such a run up of the stock markets? Was this when people started contributing en masse to 401k/403b/457/IRAs?
Helen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 04:51 PM   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helen View Post
What happened around 1995 to kick off such a run up of the stock markets? Was this when people started contributing en masse to 401k/403b/457/IRAs?
That sounds logical, since it seems to me that was about the time that some employers started moving from pension systems to defined contribution systems.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 05:07 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Umm...the internet/WWW was invented and found it's feet? The start of the information age?

How quickly they forget.
Old 03-11-2015, 05:41 PM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
Umm...the internet/WWW was invented and found it's feet? The start of the information age?

How quickly they forget.
+1

Alan Greenspan called it "irrational exuberance."
user5027 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 05:53 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

How quickly they forget.
Fund companies had invested in technology to take the onerous paper and move it around the workplace. Lined up perfectly, when e-commerce became more real.

Yes the market was warming/hot.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 02:11 PM   #29

I've been retired now for two whole weeks. I received my last paycheck last Friday and on Wednesday my 401k contribution was credited. Even with my unused PTO in my check, I managed to have less money as of last night and even less after the closing prices are posted later today than when I retired.

Nothing like a little market drop to wipe out what was about 10 weeks of pay. Even so, we're still within 3 or 4% of the top in late February.

Cobra is going to run around $1,170/month for both of us. That hurts but we would pay almost this much for a much higher deductible plan on the federal exchange or eHealthInsurance. The cheapest plans are very limited on what doctors can be used. I'm still undecided if I'll suppress income in 2016 to get a subsidized plan. Cobra will run until the end of next August.
Old 03-13-2015, 02:17 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

I need to convert our after tax 401K funds to Roth next week and the current market dip means little or no tax on that conversion. In order to guarantee the market doesn't shoot up before the conversion goes through, I purchased 300 shares of SPY today for 204.85 in my IRA (had cash from previous trading).

(purchasing 300 shares practically guarantees the market will continue to drop next week)
Fermion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 03:31 PM   #31

2B's warning is going to be nothing compare to what'd happen when I RE. The market will crash and stay in the dumps for the next 3 years immediately after I RE. I can feel it in my bones. But no worries. I am currently suffering from OMY syndrome and I will let you know one month in advance of my ER for heads up. When I do, you should sell everything and buy gold, annuities, and/or anything that can fair better in the crash. Fair warning.
robnplunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 03:48 PM   #32

All I gotta say is...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Congaree Dead River 2-8-2015 (8).JPG (144.5 KB, 19 views)
Old 03-13-2015, 05:42 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
That sounds logical, since it seems to me that was about the time that some employers started moving from pension systems to defined contribution systems.
Before people investing for themselves in the stock market, pension fund managers were doing that. Could individual investors still drive the demand higher for stock? I don't know.

What everyone has observed is the phenomenon of P/E expansion during 1983-2000. Investors were willing to pay more for the same earnings. There used to be all sorts of papers theorizing the cause, but I have trouble finding them now. Instead, my search on the Web now shows more articles talking about possible P/E contraction.

If P/E contraction happens, future stock returns will be subpar until the P/E gets lower. And that's part of the reason pundits like Shiller and even Bogle have cautioned us not to expect outstanding performance in the future. I can see that even if P/E stabilizes, we still cannot have the same stock performance as the boom years of 1983-2000. To grow like 1983-2000 is tough, because that P/E expansion can only happen once. Maybe it can grow even higher as Jack's beanstalk. Strange things have happened before, like the tulip mania, or the dot-com bubble, or the real estate market of 2003-2006...

Old 03-13-2015, 11:33 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

How quickly they forget.
Plus all the fear and loathing about the impending Y2K problem created a "wall of worry" for market prices to climb.
Old 03-14-2015, 10:04 AM   #35
Full time employment: Posting here.

I had friends retire in 1999.

"Anybody can make 15% per year in the market!"
Clone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 10:11 AM   #36
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2B View Post
I've been retired now for two whole weeks. I received my last paycheck last Friday and on Wednesday my 401k contribution was credited. Even with my unused PTO in my check, I managed to have less money as of last night and even less after the closing prices are posted later today than when I retired.

Nothing like a little market drop to wipe out what was about 10 weeks of pay. Even so, we're still within 3 or 4% of the top in late February.

Cobra is going to run around $1,170/month for both of us. That hurts but we would pay almost this much for a much higher deductible plan on the federal exchange or eHealthInsurance. The cheapest plans are very limited on what doctors can be used. I'm still undecided if I'll suppress income in 2016 to get a subsidized plan. Cobra will run until the end of next August.
Yes, it appears to be all your fault, Ken!

Oh, and too bad you are not 65 yet and could jump on Medicare ....(that's a strange thing to say these days!)
Old 03-14-2015, 05:19 PM   #37
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2B View Post
The headline unemployment number is down but only because people have exhausted their benefits and aren't counted.
Headline number is based partly on whether someone is getting benefits?

I've never heard of this, I thought headline number was U-3.
tuixiu is offline   Reply With Quote