Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-01-2016, 12:02 PM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

Down 0.93% ...

I DCA'ed in quite a bit this year. Overall, not terrible ...

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-01-2016, 12:07 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andre1969 View Post
How did you do in 2011?

My records only go back to 1998, which was when I finally recovered from a bad divorce and was able to get serious about saving and investing. My net worth has only dropped twice since then...2002 and 2008. However, I've had a negative return in 2000, 2001, 2002, 2008, and 2011...it's just that since I'm still working and contributing, the additional investments have offset the losses in some of those years.

If I was retired and living off of my investments, 2011 would definitely have been a down year for me, net worth-wise. And 2015 would have, as well.
According to Quicken, my investment return in 2011 was 3.44%. My liquid NW was up a small amount for the year. (My WD rate is generally between 2-3%)

Old 01-01-2016, 12:11 PM   #23
Full time employment: Posting here.

My total portfolio went down 1.15%. This includes deposits (IRA Cont as DW still works) and Withdrawals (monthly living expenses). This is not the return, but rather the net change in value. My portfolio return for 2015 was -0.43%.

Lazy Portfolio Investor:
AA: 55% Stocks
35% Bonds
10% Cash
NanoSour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 12:15 PM   #24
Administrator

I think my portfolio might have shown a gain had I left it untouched, but this year I chose to use part of it to buy a more expensive house in cash, sell my previous home, and move, all of which involved some costs. And then there was the crummy market, and the fact that I used some of my portfolio for 2015 living expenses.

So, between my investment portfolio and bank accounts, my 12/31/2015 balance compared with my 12/31/2014 balance, is down 5.7%. I expected this, planned it, and can afford it, but it isn't pretty. My WR for 2016 is still in the 1.x% area so it will be OK.

Long ago my ex and I had a blue and gold macaw named Lucy who was terrified of thunderstorms when she was a baby. When thunder shook the house, I would comfort her by snuggling with her and saying, "It's OK, it's OK". As she grew older, she wasn't as upset by thunderstorms. Then, when thunder rang out, she would look directly into my eyes and say in such a tender voice, "It's OK, it's OK". So, I am imagining Lucy saying that to me this morning as I look at these balances.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 12:21 PM   #25
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

W2R, let's face it -- it's tough when you are enjoying life.

We enjoyed life to the tune of down -5% on the portfolio: -3.5% expenses and -1.5% investment losses.

I'm taking a good look at portfolio benchmarks to honestly compare alternate strategies going forward. No immediate plans for changes ... yet.
Old 01-01-2016, 12:29 PM   #26

-4.1% including withdrawals.
-2.35% excluding withdrawals.
Old 01-01-2016, 12:32 PM   #27
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodi View Post

More interesting to me is the first look at spending/withdrawal rates - since this was my first full calendar year of retirement.
Successfully navigating the financial side of that first year is always a great "hey, I can do this!" feeling. Congratulations.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 04:51 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

This is the first time that my accounts have gone down between year ends since 2008 (which was the only other time it has happened).
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 05:17 PM   #29
Recycles dryer sheets

My NW is up 34%, but that's overcoming bad investment performance (-8%) with good savings performance and options from work. The world will feel different once I RE I suspect . Impressed by youbgiys who were up this year.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
Old 01-01-2016, 05:18 PM   #30

My 401K was -1.42%. Maxed out in mid-March this year.

My Fidelity accounts were up 5.57%, according to their calculations, as of 11/30/2015. Quite a bit of new money was added, so it's more difficult for me to calculate...

Here is a good guess for my Fidelity accounts. All mostly ETFs consisting of DVY, IVV, IVW, QQQ, IWM, FHLC, PFG. All dividends reinvested. Monthly purchases in my after tax account.

I just came up with a net increase/decrease, removed any new money, and divided the end by the beginning balance.

Roth, no funds added, was +4.3% as of 12/31/15.
IRA, some funds added, was +5.2% as of 12/31/15.
After Tax, funds added was +3.0% as of 12/31/15.
FIRE no later than 7/5/2016 at 56 (done), securing '16 401K match (done), getting '15 401K match (done), LTI Bonus (done), Perf bonus (done), maxing out 401K (done), picking up 1,000 hours to get another year of pension (done), July 1st benefits (vacation day, healthcare) (done), July 4th holiday. 0 days left. (done) OFFICIALLY RETIRED 7/5/2016!!
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 06:43 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
I think my portfolio might have shown a gain had I left it untouched, but this year I chose to use part of it to buy a more expensive house in cash, sell my previous home, and move, all of which involved some costs. And then there was the crummy market, and the fact that I used some of my portfolio for 2015 living expenses.

So, between my investment portfolio and bank accounts, my 12/31/2015 balance compared with my 12/31/2014 balance, is down 5.7%. I expected this, planned it, and can afford it, but it isn't pretty. My WR for 2016 is still in the 1.x% area so it will be OK.

Long ago my ex and I had a blue and gold macaw named Lucy who was terrified of thunderstorms when she was a baby. When thunder shook the house, I would comfort her by snuggling with her and saying, "It's OK, it's OK". As she grew older, she wasn't as upset by thunderstorms. Then, when thunder rang out, she would look directly into my eyes and say in such a tender voice, "It's OK, it's OK". So, I am imagining Lucy saying that to me this morning as I look at these balances.
It's a lot to ask of your portfolio if you expect it to go up every year despite raiding the cookie jar to buy dream houses!

Now go and do the same calculations for a series of years using your Net Worth. Under Assets, include the sale value of your previous home for years past and the purchase price of your new home for 2015. I think that exercise will make you happier.
Old 01-01-2016, 07:15 PM   #32
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
It's a lot to ask of your portfolio if you expect it to go up every year despite raiding the cookie jar to buy dream houses!

Now go and do the same calculations for a series of years using your Net Worth. Under Assets, include the sale value of your previous home for years past and the purchase price of your new home for 2015. I think that exercise will make you happier.
Aw, thank you!! You are right, that DOES make me a little happier.

Another thing I tried was adding up the "leftover" money, between what I spent each year in retirement, and the 3.5% that I think would be OK for me to have spent each year. I think maybe this is what some other members like Audreyh1 and Moemg do, if I understand their posts correctly? I think they keep the leftover money set aside, to use on years when more is needed. Anyway, my leftover money from 2010 to now did add up to more than the money I spent on the house.

It's kind of hard for me to figure out how to handle a big expense like this.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 01-01-2016, 09:38 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

5.7% is but a hiccup ! During 2008 I lost almost 40% . Now that is an ouch !
Old 01-01-2016, 10:55 PM   #34
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
Thanks.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 01-01-2016, 11:58 PM   #35
Recycles dryer sheets

Up just 0.65% this year.
Old 01-02-2016, 12:02 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
Yes, 2008 was definitely an ouch (23.5% for me even with my 50/50 split) The worst thing at the end of 2008 was not knowing but suspecting that perhaps there was more to come and even entertaining the thought that maybe what was to come was "it". RMD's would definitely not be a problem...
Old 01-02-2016, 01:50 AM   #37
Recycles dryer sheets

Sure wish I could play along, but the complexities of my company esop are such that I don't know until June what the ending value of the previous year was! :-(
Old 01-02-2016, 07:51 AM   #38

Down 1.25% not counting withdrawals. Energy and gold were the big losers.
Old 01-02-2016, 07:53 AM   #39

Was up .1% last year. Any gain is a good one, like any landing you can walk away from . . .
Old 01-02-2016, 08:19 AM   #40

Quote:

Long ago my ex and I had a blue and gold macaw named Lucy who was terrified of thunderstorms when she was a baby. When thunder shook the house, I would comfort her by snuggling with her and saying, "It's OK, it's OK". As she grew older, she wasn't as upset by thunderstorms. Then, when thunder rang out, she would look directly into my eyes and say in such a tender voice, "It's OK, it's OK".
She sounds absolutely adorable