Join Early Retirement Today

3.2%, 10-year CD
Old 09-15-2013, 07:34 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

3.2%, 10-year CD

For those of us who like CDs, please note rates seem to be going up. Last week I was able to buy a 10-year 3.2% CD. Rates are expected to continue to rise.

Good luck.

Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
obgyn65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-15-2013, 08:27 AM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

Thanks Obgyn. My last 'high yield' 5.21% 5 year CD comes due in 2 weeks. Ouch

Old 09-15-2013, 08:28 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by obgyn65 View Post
For those of us who like CDs, please note rates seem to be going up. Last week I was able to buy a 10-year 3.2% CD. Rates are expected to continue to rise.

Good luck.
I see you can get brokered CDs from Vanguard that pay 3.2%. I've never considered brokered CDs, what's the actual process about buying them, commissions etc and how is the interest paid to you and what do you do at maturity?

Current AA: 65% Equity Funds / 20% Bonds / 7% Stable Value /3% Cash / 5% TIAA Traditional
Retired Mar 2014 at age 52, target WR: 0.0%,
Income from pension and rent
nun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 08:51 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by nun View Post
I see you can get brokered CDs from Vanguard that pay 3.2%. I've never considered brokered CDs, what's the actual process about buying them, commissions etc and how is the interest paid to you and what do you do at maturity?
You need a brokerage account at Vanguard. It will be created instantly if you don't have one now. New CDs are typically available without commission. Buying "experienced" CDs involve a commission ($50 is the max I think -- please check with them). Frequently, you can get a better yield buying a CD this way even with the commission.

At maturity, the cash shows up in your brokerage account. Interest payments also show up as they are paid.
Old 09-15-2013, 09:01 AM   #5

I buy my CDs via Edward Jones. To answer your questions, I just call them when I have money available in my bank account, they give me the best rate available, and if I approve, they withdraw the money on the date chosen. There is no commission. The interest is paid directly into my bank account. And at maturity, the CD principal is available for withdrawal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nun View Post

Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
Old 09-15-2013, 09:11 AM   #6

Most brokers have them. Schwab has some 10yr @ 3.25%. No commision to buy new issue. To get out early they are sold at market prices, like a bond, so you may not get back what you put in. Best held to maturity. Interest is deposited to your account per the CDs term, money is returned to you at maturity.

In some cases the equivalent treasury may be better, you can buy those commission free also.
Old 09-15-2013, 10:45 AM   #7
Full time employment: Posting here.

If you decide to venture into the secondary market, Fidelity charges a very reasonable $1/1,000 for a 10 bond(CD) purchase. Slightly more for < 10, slightly less for higher #'s. You will see the commission before hitting send. Vanguard charges about twice that.
Old 09-16-2013, 06:17 AM   #8

I am seeing 4 & 4.1 CD's on the Vanguard site. The do have a call feature of about a year but in a rising rate situation that should not be a problem. They are FDIC insured but they have a lot longer term (20 to 30 years). However that longer term could form the basis of a reasonable DIY "Annuity" (assuming the call feature is not invoked). Thanks OBGyn65 for the hint.
Old 09-16-2013, 04:29 PM   #9

What's the infatuation with CD's over high grade corporate bonds & high grade muni bonds that pay way more? Thanks.
Old 09-16-2013, 05:20 PM   #10

I would prefer to buy a high quality bond with a 10 maturity instead of a CD for the higher yield.

The primary risk of a bond is default and BK - not very likely if the bond is BBB+ or higher. And, if purchased near par, you get your money back at maturity. If there should be a buyout, the acquiring company usually assumes debt obligations of the acquired firm.

For example, I own Wells Fargo bonds, maturing August 2023. Effective yield is 4.6%, bought at 96 cents on the dollar. I consider this to be just as safe as a 10 year FDIC insured CD.
Old 09-16-2013, 05:50 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerntz View Post
What's the infatuation with CD's over high grade corporate bonds & high grade muni bonds that pay way more? Thanks.
CD's are FDIC insured, up to the same limit as any insured bank account.
Old 09-16-2013, 06:42 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by akck View Post
CD's are FDIC insured, up to the same limit as any insured bank account.
I know. But seems a large price/dividend reduction to pay vs. high quality bonds imo. On $100K, could be talking $4500/yr dividend vs. $3200 interest.
Old 09-16-2013, 06:44 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolius View Post
I would prefer to buy a high quality bond with a 10 maturity instead of a CD for the higher yield.

The primary risk of a bond is default and BK - not very likely if the bond is BBB+ or higher. And, if purchased near par, you get your money back at maturity. If there should be a buyout, the acquiring company usually assumes debt obligations of the acquired firm.

For example, I own Wells Fargo bonds, maturing August 2023. Effective yield is 4.6%, bought at 96 cents on the dollar. I consider this to be just as safe as a 10 year FDIC insured CD.
Trust me, I'm with you.
Old 09-16-2013, 06:59 PM   #14

Quote:
I know. But seems a large price/dividend reduction to pay vs. high quality bonds imo. On $100K, could be talking $4500/yr dividend vs. $3200 interest.
That's the current price of 0% risk.
Old 09-16-2013, 08:45 PM   #15
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
If rates go up you can withdraw the money from a CD and pay just 60 days worth of interest (depending on the bank, if you are the initial purchaser, etc), then just buy another CD at the higher rate. 60 days worth of interest at today's rates is a very small amount. Different situation with a long term bond--if interest rates go up you can't get out cheaply to buy another one.

And then there's the FDIC insurance.
Old 09-17-2013, 06:53 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post
If rates go up you can withdraw the money from a CD and pay just 60 days worth of interest (depending on the bank, if you are the initial purchaser, etc), then just buy another CD at the higher rate. 60 days worth of interest at today's rates is a very small amount. Different situation with a long term bond--if interest rates go up you can't get out cheaply to buy another one.

And then there's the FDIC insurance.
Meanwhile until the CD rates go up you're generating ~1/3 more income and even when the CD rate is higher, the bond could still be paying more. And even if the CD goes higher than the bond rate, you're playing catch up on income.
Old 09-17-2013, 10:25 AM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post
If rates go up you can withdraw the money from a CD and pay just 60 days worth of interest (depending on the bank, if you are the initial purchaser, etc),
Are you sure that you can do that with the brokerage CDs as suggested in the OP?
Old 09-17-2013, 04:05 PM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

Some shorter CD maturities are paying 2.0% (5YR), 1.5% (3 YR) and 1.25% (2YR) if shorter term is what your looking for.
Old 09-17-2013, 05:21 PM   #19

For the record, I am not suggesting anyone follows my approach. I just wanted to post to indicate that CD rates have been going up. It does seem though that the penalty for early withdrawal is higher than 30 or 60 days' interest.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hsv_climber View Post

Are you sure that you can do that with the brokerage CDs as suggested in the OP?
Old 09-17-2013, 08:07 PM   #20
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by hsv_climber View Post
No, that's why I wrote that being the initial purchaser has an impact.

And to anybody trying to eek out an extra 1% by buying a 10 year bond over a CD--that'll hurt when interest rates go up. And they ain't gonna go down from here. But grab the nickels while you can.