Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

30 Year Withdrawal Rates - Fun with numbers!
Old 12-31-2018, 08:45 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

30 Year Withdrawal Rates - Fun with numbers!

I've been off work for the holidays, the weather has mostly been bad, so I've been playing with spreadsheets! Here's what I did:

Using historical returns for S&P 500, 1 yr T-Bill, 10 yr Bonds, and annual inflation rates I calculated the maximum inflation adjusted withdrawal rate that would result in zero remaining savings after 30 years, starting each year between 1928 and 1988. These are sequential calculations for each 30 year period, they are not randomly picked historical returns and inflation rates.

I used an asset allocation of 60% stocks, 10% T-Bills, and 30% Bonds.

The results are shown in the attached plot.

Some Statistics:
  • The minimum successful withdrawal rate was exactly 4% (1966)
  • The average successful withdrawal rate was 6.4% with a standard deviation of 1.7%

I'm interested in your thoughts and observations. Has anyone seen a similar analysis elsewhere?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Maximum 30 Year Withdrawal Rate.JPG (38.8 KB, 327 views)
conversationalphrase is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-31-2018, 08:55 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

"Similar" analysis exists all over the place. I always like to see different iterations of the theme though.

Did you use a cost factor? i.e. transaction costs or mutual fund fees? That would bring the numbers down a tad. 1966 would be sub-4% etc
razztazz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 09:16 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Yeah seen various versions.
1982 was the best year for a 30 yr retirement. Shows how the sequence of returns comes into play, as the 1982 person went through 2000 and 2008 bear markets, but already built up enough asset increases in the first 17 years.
Old 12-31-2018, 09:51 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtail View Post
1982 was the best year for a 30 yr retirement. Shows how the sequence of returns comes into play, as the 1982 person went through 2000 and 2008 bear markets, but already built up enough asset increases in the first 17 years.
I love these illustrations because they point out the lunacy of studies that assume some fixed rate of average investment return over the years. That method is just soooo wrong, due to sequence of returns!

Every time I hear someone say they've created a spreadsheet where they assumed some average rate of investment return and some average rate of inflation, I gulp at how they can be so naive. Consistent investment and inflation numbers from year to year to year never, ever happens. Sequence of return consequences always happen.
Old 12-31-2018, 10:31 AM   #5

Quote:
Yeah, 1982 the end of the great Secular Bear market!
NYEXPAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 11:23 AM   #6

WOuldn't it be sweet to know whether 2019 was the start of a 4% run or 6% run? Sure would make my life easier.
corn18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 11:34 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by corn18 View Post
WOuldn't it be sweet to know whether 2019 was the start of a 4% run or 6% run? Sure would make my life easier.
Yep!

It's always interesting here on the FIRE Forum to read strategies people come up with to try to avoid variability of outcomes with their FIRE portfolios over time. "I'll have a cash cushion." "I'll spend less when the market is down." "I'll change my AA over time." "I'll set money aside in good years to fill the gaps in bad years." "Etc., etc."

While all these things can have some impact on reducing variability, the fact is that over a long retirement, there is going to be significant variability beyond your ability to control. Given my family's spending and possible future inflation rates and investment returns, I'm expecting to die somewhere between broke and a multi-millionaire...........

As you say, wouldn't it be swell to know that at the beginning?
Old 12-31-2018, 11:50 AM   #8

If I understand your example (actual returns and actual inflation for 30 year consecutive periods starting in the 20's) that is what the Trinity Study and Firecalc both do. And yes, the average SWR would have historically been 6%. But, we don't know if we are in an average 30 year period. So, most of us plan for the worst historical case, about 4%.
flintnational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 12:07 PM   #9
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by flintnational View Post
If I understand your example (actual returns and actual inflation for 30 year consecutive periods starting in the 20's) that is what the Trinity Study and Firecalc both do.
Yes, and FIRECalc goes more than 50 years farther back, starting in 1871.

OP, you can see how FIRECalc works here: https://firecalc.com/intro.php
Old 12-31-2018, 12:31 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Good concepts deserve to be discovered, and rediscovered.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 12:36 PM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

This looks like the same or very similar analysis https://www.kitces.com/blog/what-ret...ly-based-upon/

And the numbers also seem to follow - at least as close and I can tell. So I guess that's a good thing!

I did not consider an investment "cost factor"

Firecalc only goes back to 1871 for stocks. Interest rates are simulated before 1952 (5 yr treasury) or 1925 (30 year treasury).
conversationalphrase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 12:38 PM   #12

I'm going to apply my extraordinary expertise in predicting the future and discern that the SWR is cyclical and we are in a downward trend to 4%. I need to retire immediately to avoid the fall back to 4% SWR. I have updated my spreadsheet to 8% SWR and put a downpayment on a private jet. This FIRE stuff is easy!
Old 12-31-2018, 12:56 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by youbet View Post
While all these things can have some impact on reducing variability, the fact is that over a long retirement, there is going to be significant variability beyond your ability to control.

Exactly! --- That is why you should Plan on variability... Withdrawal methods such as VPW, do exactly that. You cannot control variability, but you can react properly to it.
Cut-Throat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 02:29 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cut-Throat View Post
Exactly! --- That is why you should Plan on variability... Withdrawal methods such as VPW, do exactly that. You cannot control variability, but you can react properly to it.
Same here. My income varies, so does my spending. I also have planned on it. With a very high discretionary spending % in the budget we have a great deal of flexibility.
Old 12-31-2018, 03:48 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

We invest using matching strategies and plan on 0 - 1% real returns, plus the house going up to match inflation. SS and pensions will cover most of our long term retirement expenses, so barring the asteroid strike our net worth will be fairly similar at our "end of plan" time as it is today in inflation adjusted dollars, and we are happy with that amount to leave to the kids.
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 04:22 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by daylatedollarshort View Post
We invest using matching strategies and plan on 0 - 1% real returns, plus the house going up to match inflation. SS and pensions will cover most of our long term retirement expenses, so barring the asteroid strike our net worth will be fairly similar at our "end of plan" time as it is today in inflation adjusted dollars, and we are happy with that amount to leave to the kids.
Silly question on the 1% real return.

If one has a portfolio of 1mm, after 2 years using simple math, does the return equal 10k or 20k in dollars?
Old 12-31-2018, 04:51 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Silly question on the 1% real return.

If one has a portfolio of 1mm, after 2 years using simple math, does the return equal 10k or 20k in dollars?

I am not sure I completely understand your question, but there is a description on how the real return plays out for a $1K TIPS bond in the third paragraph in this article on how TIPS work.
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 07:54 PM   #18
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Same here. My income varies, so does my spending. I also have planned on it. With a very high discretionary spending % in the budget we have a great deal of flexibility.
If I may ask - what is your discretionary expense as a % of total budgeted expenses?
Vincenzo Corleone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 09:24 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincenzo Corleone View Post
If I may ask - what is your discretionary expense as a % of total budgeted expenses?
Not the guy you asked, but we are planning on about 40% discretionary.
Old 12-31-2018, 09:31 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by corn18 View Post
Not the guy you asked, but we are planning on about 40% discretionary.

Me neither, but we're about 75% Discretionary..... Living in Hawaii this winter....
Cut-Throat is offline   Reply With Quote