Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-08-2007, 07:43 AM   #61
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronc879 View Post
He already had electric/gas expenses of $1792. I assumed that covered heating costs.
Maybe he'll chime in again, but its not unusual in these parts to have gas for cooking, and heating oil for heat. So my guess would be his electric/gas is mostly electric bill, plus a tad of natural gas for cooking and maybe hot water. Then the heating oil bill pushing 2k a year.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-08-2007, 07:46 AM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
This kind of comedy is why I won't post my expenses here. The one and only time I did someone thought how much I spent on food was hilarious.

ha

Oh, its not that bad. You should have seen the comments my expense list provoked. There are huge differences in costs form one part of the world to the next, and we move in different subcultures too. I wouldn't take questions/surprise as criticism.

Old 12-08-2007, 07:57 AM   #63
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire View Post
Yet I buy everything I want, including art, expensive food, $125 running shoes, $16 socks, nice formal meeting clothes when needed for work, and a membership in the most expensive gym in the area.
I never have seen $125 running shoes in Walmart. But hey, you probably don't spend $250/mo at the local country club either. If they make you happy, go for it.

I did spend $85 once for hiking shoes in Colorado. About 5 years ago. Still wear them. They probably would cost well over $100 today.
Old 12-08-2007, 08:00 AM   #64
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maurice View Post
Oh, its not that bad. You should have seen the comments my expense list provoked. There are huge differences in costs form one part of the world to the next, and we move in different subcultures too. I wouldn't take questions/surprise as criticism.
The cost of living varies SO much from place to place. A lot of those living in expensive coastal areas really do not seem to realize the huge disparity between what it costs to live there, and what it costs in less expensive parts of the country. Or, perhaps they do not want to realize that disparity because they really do not want to live elsewhere, or at a lower expense.

Our choices matter on several levels - - expense is one thing, but some people value other attributes of a place more. Nothing wrong with that. But those living in expensive coastal areas should at least realize that they ARE making a choice.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 08:06 AM   #65
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg52 View Post
I never have seen $125 running shoes in Walmart. But hey, you probably don't spend $250/mo at the local country club either. If they make you happy, go for it.
Thank you! I'm glad you are cutting me some slack and no, I don't belong to the local country club.

I have problem feet and need very high quality shoes (and socks!) to be able to do much of anything. I buy them at Academy which carries that model occasionally, or online, since I know which ones I need. I regard them as a medical expense of sorts.

Not only that - - having supremely comfortable feet brings a big smile to my face. I not only have problem feet, I also have very sensitive feet so when they hurt, I am in miserable but when they are comfy, all is right with the world. What's a smile worth? A lot more than $125, to me.

They are something that I wear every day and they make me feel pampered, sensually delighted, and well cared for. And what the hey, if I only spent $12K last year and $125 of it was on running shoes, and I'm happy, then who here would criticize me? Like the artwork I buy, obviously I can afford these shoes on my budget or I wouldn't buy them.

Know thyself!

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 12-08-2007, 08:15 AM   #66

Quote:
Or, perhaps they do not want to realize that disparity because they really do not want to live elsewhere, or at a lower expense.

Our choices matter on several levels - - expense is one thing, but some people value other attributes of a place more. Nothing wrong with that. But those living in expensive coastal areas should at least realize that they ARE making a choice.

I think most people here realize how much cheaper life is in the middle of the country. I certainly do, but then I've lived all over.

Putting aside the personal choice component - i.e. what lifestyle people want and what are they willing to pay for it - there can be a big financial benefit to living in these expensive areas. My expenses are obscene, sure, but by any rational measure so is my income. A little LBYM here allows me to save A LOT more than I could in another situation.
Old 12-08-2007, 08:26 AM   #67
Administrator

Quote:
Putting aside the personal choice component - i.e. what lifestyle people want and what are they willing to pay for it - there can be a big financial benefit to living in these expensive areas. My expenses are obscene, sure, but by any rational measure so is my income. A little LBYM here allows me to save A LOT more than I could in another situation.
Exactly. But why retire in such an area? I think that retiring in expensive coastal areas would be due to other factors than the cost of living. I know that they have a lot of attractions that aren't available in the rest of the country. But those choosing to retire there should realize that they are making the choice to spend more (and consequently work longer to produce a larger ER income) for these advantages.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 12-08-2007, 08:30 AM   #68

Yeah, indeed. But then a lot of people move when they retire. Its not hard to find a Brooklyn accent in Florida, after all.

I want to maintain a link to NY in retirement, maybe spending 3-5 months a year here, and I'm willing to postpone my retirement for it. (to the ripe old age of 45, if necessary ).
Old 12-08-2007, 08:48 AM   #69
Administrator

Quote:
Yeah, indeed. But then a lot of people move when they retire. Its not hard to find a Brooklyn accent in Florida, after all.

I want to maintain a link to NY in retirement, maybe spending 3-5 months a year here, and I'm willing to postpone my retirement for it. (to the ripe old age of 45, if necessary ).
Sounds like a great plan! My "early retirement" (if you can call it that) will be at age 61.5 so I'm just not willing to work a minute longer than that. I'll retire in southern Missouri, which is supposed to be even cheaper than New Orleans (and has lower crime, no hurricanes, and will provide the excitement of exploring a new area). If I planned to retire in NYC I'd have to work until I was 106 to afford it!

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 12-08-2007, 09:43 AM   #70
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by newguy888 View Post
I just will not pay 125 for running shoes and I run upwards of 70 miles a week! I go through them so fast. Found a fantastic pair of Mizunos yesterday on sale for 59 dollars reg price was 95, ugly color but hey great price and they fit!
I always shop for my running shoes when I don't need them yet...that way, I can shop the sale racks and get 1-2 pairs "ahead" of them wearing out. I usually go through about 2 pairs a year so I always know there will be a need for another pair in the future.
Old 12-08-2007, 09:44 AM   #71
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Sounds like a great plan! My "early retirement" (if you can call it that) will be at age 61.5 so I'm just not willing to work a minute longer than that. If I planned to retire in NYC I'd have to work until I was 106 to afford it!
My Curmudgeon meter says - it's not all about Texas in spite of the Pace Picante tv ad. My parents did hard time in NYC (marriage license 1939 City Hall) and I did some tdy for 6 wks in the 70's at Grumman in Long Island.

There is probably a NY law that prevents the truly frugal/cheap bastards/not making the big bucks folks from posting or letting their secrets out of the bag. Memory says - housing/rent was the big dog way back in 1971. Solve that - and you had a shot at frugal.

heh heh heh - my Dad had to kill both a Boston and Brooklyn accent - my Mom says being from Michigan you couldn't understand him - made him mysterious. Post WWII in the PacNW got rid of it.
Old 12-08-2007, 10:00 AM   #72
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DallasGuy View Post
I always shop for my running shoes when I don't need them yet...that way, I can shop the sale racks and get 1-2 pairs "ahead" of them wearing out. I usually go through about 2 pairs a year so I always know there will be a need for another pair in the future.
Me too! I got my last pair for $105 (same model). I have three pairs now in various states of half-worn-outness...one scuffed up white, and two grey (the newest grey ones being the ones that I always seem to choose). You can't get this model on sale racks in my area, but they do go on sale from time to time. Not nearly as often as the cheap shoes, though, since they aren't a really good loss leader for most stores.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 12-08-2007, 10:07 AM   #73
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclemick View Post
There is probably a NY law that prevents the truly frugal/cheap bastards/not making the big bucks folks from posting or letting their secrets out of the bag. Memory says - housing/rent was the big dog way back in 1971. Solve that - and you had a shot at frugal.
I have never lived there. I visited there for a day in 1954, and ate a Waldorf salad at the Waldorf, does that count?

The budgets from people on this board who live there, seem to tell me that it is really expensive there. But I have no idea. Surely the old-timers there must have some way to survive on their social security.

I visited Monterey, California for a week on business this year. I was stunned/disgusted at the prices there, and just couldn't wait to get OUT of that place! It's got great scenery and seeing the aquarium was a lifetime dream, but what a rip-off, even at the grocery stores, much less at the tourist spots. When I had a chance to spend a week in SF on business later this year, I managed to weasel my way out of it and I was glad I did.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 12-08-2007, 10:27 AM   #74
Give me a forum ...

I live in Wisconsin. While the property taxes are quite high, a lot of our other costs are lower than other areas of the country.

I did like South Carolina a lot............it seems to me you can live there fairly cheaply...............

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 10:41 AM   #75

Quote:
When I had a chance to spend a week in SF on business later this year, I managed to weasel my way out of it and I was glad I did.

We'll I say thats a shame. The city is quite beautiful, built on a human scale, and you had a chance to visit on someone else's nickel.
Old 12-08-2007, 10:46 AM   #76
Give me a forum ...

New Orleans, Thailand, NYC - as some posters here have aluded too - I suspect there is a quasy universal 'tourist price/things to do' and a how the locals do it to cope mechanism. Methods vary from place to place and up/down the lifestyle scale - but I suspect it operates worldwide to a greater or lessor extent.

heh heh heh -
Old 12-08-2007, 10:53 AM   #77
Administrator

Quote:
We'll I say thats a shame. The city is quite beautiful, built on a human scale, and you had a chance to visit on someone else's nickel.
I lived there back in the 1960's. It was pretty nice then, and my rent was $60/month. I think times have changed.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 12-08-2007, 10:57 AM   #78

Ha! A bit, I'd say. THese day's rent would probably set you back well over $100.
Old 12-08-2007, 11:20 AM   #79
Recycles dryer sheets

We retired and are spending waaay more than I figured preretirement. So many categories went way over what I figured. I have figured out the reasons for most of it. The two of us spend about $81,000 year before taxes, with no debts. But, I figure if you have to reduce your standard of living in retirement you didn't do a good job of retirement planning.
Old 12-08-2007, 11:25 AM   #80
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclemick View Post
housing/rent was the big dog way back in 1971. Solve that - and you had a shot at frugal.
Rent control did it for me - I was paying about 40% of the market when I had a Rent controlled apt.