Join Early Retirement Today

Re: $4 Gas - Here We Come
Old 09-07-2005, 10:22 PM   #61
Recycles dryer sheets

The average price for a litre of unleaded petrol in the UK now is around 95 pence, which converts to around US$6.60 per US gallon. Much of Europe has similar high prices due to higher taxation (as noted in some posts above) I am currently in Hong Kong where prices are in fact slightly higher at around US$6.70 per US gallon.

US drivers should be grateful that they have always had cheap prices and in comparison, still do, even at US$3.50 a gallon.

Personally, I would put the taxes up to reduce CO2 emissions, which would also encourage a reduction in vehicle and engine sizes and generally encourage more responsible use of resources.

Honkie
Honkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-08-2005, 08:36 AM   #62
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Saw $3.14 here (north of Boston) ... down from $3.29.

Trend seems to be down.
Old 09-08-2005, 10:26 AM   #63
Full time employment: Posting here.

Send a message via ICQ to Marshac Send a message via AIM to Marshac Send a message via Yahoo to Marshac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan
When you bet on a horse race you can opt to pay the tax on the bet or on the winnings.* Most people choose to pay the tax on the bet to avoid paying tax on their expected windfall.*
That is awesome. The IRS should do this for the Lotto.
Marshac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2005, 05:21 PM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshac
That is awesome. The IRS should do this for the Lotto.

Well, as long as we don't get any new regressive taxes...

EDIT:
BigMoneyJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2005, 08:49 AM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncledrz
At what price will we as a nation start to use less? Or is gas (and the transportation freedom it allows) simple not price elastic and we will continue to use it at the same rate no matter what the price?
I read this morning that "Americans used 4% less gasoline amid skyrocketing pump prices last week than they did the week before Hurricane Katrina hit, the federal government reported. But whether that indicates consumers have decided to conserve or merely that they couldn't find all the gasoline they wanted isn't clear."

To me it remains to be seen if this is a trend or if we get used to the new price level and continue on as we were. I know with the price at 2.72 instead of 2.99 last friday it feels like I'm getting a bargain
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2005, 09:03 AM   #66

Paid $3.09 today ... down from $3.14 yesterday.

Good sign.
Old 09-09-2005, 09:36 AM   #67
Recycles dryer sheets

$2.49/gal in MS this week
polloloco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2005, 09:43 AM   #68

In Raleigh, NC, the station on the corner near my office still has no gas for sale. They've been out since last Tuesday. I believe it is 76/Circle K. Don't know what the problem is. Gas is as cheap as $2.89 here in Raleigh now.
justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2005, 11:16 AM   #69

Quote:
"(But) I would be very surprised if we didn't see gasoline prices come down over the next six weeks to the $2.60-$2.80 level
Our fearless leader has done something right .... Deregulation at it finest.

http://tinyurl.com/bp57m

edited to decrease size of URL

Old 09-10-2005, 03:23 PM   #70
Full time employment: Posting here.

Independent stations such as 76/Circle K buy gasoline on the spot market from refineries rather than under firm contract are the first to either run out of supplies period, or supplies at an acceptable price. When gasoline is plentiful, no problem. At other times, no supply.

Also, until the pipelines pumping refined product to the Southeast are back in service, the Southeast will be short. There are no other ways to getting large quantities of gasoline to that part of America. That's the price to pay for all those Floridians, Carolinians, etc who do not want industrial ports on their coasts. The NIMBY syndrome has consequences.
AltaRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2005, 03:45 PM   #71

AltaRed -- what an idiotic post. NC has two "industrial" ports on its coast, Moorehead City and Wilmington.
Old 09-10-2005, 03:50 PM   #72

Indeed, the port of Charleston is one of the largest on the East coast, and we compete with Savannah for business. Our port is so large, it extends beyond Charleston to North Charleston and to Mt Pleasant (across the harbor). It can take quite a while to turn left from my brother's office due to the huge number of trucks streaming from the relatively small part of the port located in Mt Pleasant.

Charleston's more than a pretty face*
Old 09-11-2005, 12:13 PM   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltaRed
Independent stations such as 76/Circle K buy gasoline on the spot market from refineries rather than under firm contract are the first to either run out of supplies period, or supplies at an acceptable price. When gasoline is plentiful, no problem. At other times, no supply.

Also, until the pipelines pumping refined product to the Southeast are back in service, the Southeast will be short. There are no other ways to getting large quantities of gasoline to that part of America. That's the price to pay for all those Floridians, Carolinians, etc who do not want industrial ports on their coasts. The NIMBY syndrome has consequences.
Our pipeline to NC is back up, close to 100% of pre-Katrina capacity. And what Bogart said, we have two ports in NC. We also have railroads and interstate freeways that allow freight movement to/from our state. Then there are Virginia's ports.
Old 09-11-2005, 12:24 PM   #74
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by justin
Our pipeline to NC is back up, close to 100% of pre-Katrina capacity.* And what Bogart said, we have two ports in NC.* We also have railroads and interstate freeways that allow freight movement to/from our state.*
And Aunt Bea. You'll always have Aunt Bea.
moghopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2005, 09:45 AM   #75
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I paid $2.49 over the weekend. Saw one station the same day at $2.73. Hopefully it's gonna stabilize soon. Steve Forbes said on CNBC this morning that he thinks there is a bubble in oil prices and that prices will drop to around $40/barrel over the next 10 months. He's somewhat of a goober but I hope he is correct this time!*
Old 09-12-2005, 10:31 AM   #76

Quote:
Originally Posted by justin
In Raleigh, NC, the station on the corner near my office still has no gas for sale. They've been out since last Tuesday. I believe it is 76/Circle K. Don't know what the problem is. Gas is as cheap as $2.89 here in Raleigh now.
This station now has regular grade and super grade starting at a low, low price of $3.019/gallon. No super-duper premium Exxtra grade gas yet though. Good to see things returning to normal.
Old 09-12-2005, 11:05 AM   #77
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Down to 2.79 per gallon across from the Ramada in St Joe - we paid 3.49 per gallon last week in Memphis.

Natural gas will be another story this fall.

Heh, heh, heh.
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2005, 08:50 AM   #78

2.57 here down from 2.99 on 9/2

LONDON (Reuters) - Oil steadied above $63 a barrel on Tuesday after a slide sparked by evidence that high prices were starting to slow global economic growth and curb U.S. fuel demand.
Losses were checked by worries that the U.S. oil industry's recovery from Hurricane Katrina two weeks ago had stalled, leaving five percent of the country's refining capacity and nearly half its Gulf of Mexico oil production offline.
"The recent run up in prices should be enough to start demand retardation and to grind down prices over the next few years," said Credit Suisse First Boston.
Prices have been marching higher for the past two years as the world struggles to pump and refine enough oil to satisfy thirsty consumers in the United States and Asia.
Analysts say the economic shock from the disaster and ensuing oil rally may curb the rapid growth in oil consumption that has doubled crude prices in the past two years.
Despite bearish market signs, dealers remained worried that a drawn-out recovery from Katrina will stretch supplies ahead of the peak demand during the northern hemisphere winter.
Old 09-23-2005, 11:43 PM   #79

Old 11-21-2005, 04:30 PM   #80
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

I paid $1.95 for regular gas today in South TX and was relieved that it was finally down to under $2.00. Who would have ever thought you would be "happy" to pay $2/gal?

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated." :P