Join Early Retirement Today

4% rule failures?
Old 12-11-2010, 05:56 AM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

4% rule failures?

Curious if anyone has ever heard of a real life example of someone failing in FIRE when using a reasonable safe withdrawal rate, and if so how was it realized and handled?

I don't mean like that garrulous legend who was in these forums before my time, I mean someone taking a 4%ish type of withdrawal from a reasonably allocated stash and realizing there was no way it could continue so they went back to work out of necessity. I don't doubt it has happened and I would think the recent economy might have produced a few.

I'm trying to imagine how one realizes they are one of the lines that end up under the bar on firecalc, since it isn't always obvious and many of those lines that look sketchy end up being able to successfully support someone for over 50 years.

Then taking into account future income changes like SS, the Bernicke (sp?) spending theories, etc. I'm really interested in how someone decides it is 4th and 10 and they need to punt on FIRE.
tuixiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-11-2010, 06:16 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiuxiu View Post
...someone taking a 4%ish type of withdrawal from a reasonably allocated stash and realizing there was no way it could continue so they went back to work out of necessity.
We've seen many return to work out of choice, not financial necessity. There were more than a few who returned to work out of perceived necessity when the market went into the tank in 2008, unsure their nest egg would recover. We've seen one or two who apparently didn't have a "reasonably allocated stash" see their heavily weighted portfolio crash and burn, but they generally faded away and didn't report how they coped.

However, I don't recall anyone who ever met all your criteria above who owned up to it on this board. That isn't to say it has never happened, only that I don't remember ever reading about it here.
Old 12-11-2010, 07:10 AM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

REWahoo’s makes the point that there are many different stories and ER comes in different shapes and sizes. Someone who directly fits your description is likely not monitoring this forum anymore, but we’ll see.

Another thing that fits our situation is that back in 2007, things looked real good and ER seemed to be a certainty. Then with the market drop, I “perceived” that things had changed enough that I stepped-up my part-time work (thankfully doing something I enjoy.) Things have worked out better than I “perceived” at that time and earlier this year, I began moving back into full ER mode. Since we have not had to pull the full 4% as we had originally planned, along with a re-vamped portfolio, things are better now.
lowflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 07:20 AM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Go to Walmart, and ask the guy that give you a cart.
If it is after 5:00 when I post I reserve the right to disavow anything I posted.
Rustic23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 07:41 AM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
However, I don't recall anyone who ever met all your criteria above who owned up to it on this board. That isn't to say it has never happened, only that I don't remember ever reading about it here.
+1. Basic human nature would prevent most people from admitting their plan failed, they would just quietly go back to work or otherwise adjust. A good thing to keep in mind when reading anything on the internet...

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 07:52 AM   #6
Dryer sheet wannabe

Even with the results of the last 10 years in the markets, taking 4% and adjusting for inflation would last for several more years. So, if people have been forced back to work it is not b/c of taking 4% out. The problem is that 4% will not work over 30 or 40 years for many b/c expense ratios are often not considered, and b/c future returns will be different than the past 100 years. Also, the sequence of returns early on can kill any plan dependent on stocks. After losing some money in 2008 I was fortunate to load up on long term bonds with YTM at the time of 10% for the next 20 years. Companies that some thought would go bankrupt, such as Metlife.
ral3210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 09:32 AM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
We've seen many return to work out of choice, not financial necessity. There were more than a few who returned to work out of perceived necessity when the market went into the tank in 2008, unsure their nest egg would recover. We've seen one or two who apparently didn't have a "reasonably allocated stash" see their heavily weighted portfolio crash and burn, but they generally faded away and didn't report how they coped.

+1
Jake46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 10:03 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Yes, tough to say. Some people have dropped off that probably went back to work, but I don't know if they were doing 4% and had a diversified portfolio. Could be due to other issues. There was at least one painful case of a failure due to a very non-diversified portfolio. I applaud that person for admitting it, as it does help others to see the real risks behind that approach.

Also, remember that the historical data says that a 30 year 4% WR and a diversified portfolio means that you could see your portfolio drop to less than half what it was (in buying power) and still 'succeed'. I think most would be pretty frightened by that, and might go back to work or make other adjustments if that happened.

-ERD50
ERD50 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 10:19 AM   #9
Gone but not forgotten

I will honestly admit that when we had that incredible drop in 2008 I questioned whether I should return to work but after adjusting my 4% for the new reality I decided against it . I was also close to SS age so that made a difference . Had I been in my 50's I probably would have taken a part time job for awhile just to be sure that my portfolio survived .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 10:22 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
I will honestly admit that when we had that incredible drop in 2008 I questioned whether I should return to work but after adjusting my 4% for the new reality I decided against it . I was also close to SS age so that made a difference . Had I been in my 50's I probably would have taken a part time job for awhile just to be sure that my portfolio survived .
Yup. It scared me into working part-time for an extra year. But I think that had I already retired at the time I would have just hung in there.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 10:26 AM   #11

I don't play with FireCalc a great deal, however, if you just push submit when it comes up with the default 30,000 and 750,000, you get a 94.5% success rate, and you don't go below the zero line for 22 years. So I am not real sure there are that many around here that would have had the importunity for their portfolio to go down that much. Even a 50% reduction in that portfolio, would still leave 375,000 and would last 12 years at zero interest. I guess what I am saying, is I am not sure it has gotten bad enough for a balanced portfolio to have failed, if ones expenses were accurately estimated to begin with. I also think most on this board over estimate their expenses, and that plays into it also.
If it is after 5:00 when I post I reserve the right to disavow anything I posted.
Old 12-11-2010, 10:34 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic23 View Post
Even a 50% reduction in that portfolio, would still leave 375,000 and would last 12 years at zero interest.
My guess is that once a portfolio that is one's only or main source of support hits $375,000, life changes, and likely forever.

Ha
Old 12-11-2010, 10:36 AM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

A few weeks ago, someone posted a link to an article addressing how the 4% rule fared during the recent market upset. With the market recovering quite well since early 2009, the long-term damage was less than we maybe would have expected in February and March of 2009. It was pretty scary back then and it's not unreasonable that some would consider returning to some level of work. The fact is, that while the market downturn was real, we may have "perceived" we were at more risk than we were, so people act accordingly.
lowflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 10:42 AM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
I'm trying to imagine how one realizes they are one of the lines that end up under the bar on firecalc
I would think one way to see if you are "on one of those lines" is to redo the calculations you made to determine if you were ready to retire in the first place. If the calculations still come out telling you to go for it, you are still fine. For example (oversimplifying) someone who retired with a 4% SWR based on needing 40k per year and having $1 million in savings is as good off five years later if they meet the same basic criteria. If they only have 500k left and cannot live on 20k per year, they are headed under the bar.

I imagine most everyone is doing some sort of gut check regularly and has a basic feel where they are and whether they need to adjust income or spending.
Arnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 10:50 AM   #15

Ha,
I would agree, and I am not sure I could set there for long, feeling safe that FireCalc says all will be well eventually.
Old 12-11-2010, 10:52 AM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Curious if anyone has ever heard of a real life example of someone failing in FIRE when using a reasonable safe withdrawal rate, and if so how was it realized and handled?
We've had people whose ER plans were derailed by their investments not working out the way they'd expected, and IIRC one of them was either ER'd or about to.

But their portfolios were highly concentrated or highly volatile, so they don't meet your "reasonable" criteria.

I suppose H0cU$ is a failed ER, but his asset allocation is overly conservative and his credibility highly suspect.

Raddr has been running a long-term thread on his board about the hapless Y2K ER who refuses to reduce his spending to reflect reality. As his withdrawal rate approaches 10% it looks pretty terminal for that guy but who knows, he might still pull it out.

I think the vast majority of ERs would abandon the strict 4% rule at the second year of trouble, electing to cut spending or seek part-time work (or both). They wouldn't necessarily post about it.

I suppose a second failed ER scenario would be explosive growth of health insurance expenses or having to spend outrageous sums of money to pay the healthcare bills for an uninsured family member. Again, posting here might not be their highest priority.

It's a shame that such a potentially educational topic is self-limiting by its own nature.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 10:59 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

A few years ago I pondered this question in a little different way -- assuming a hypothetical "ideal" retiree who is taking 4% from an 80/20 port and planning on exactly 30 years left, then what kind of test could be applied to see if one needed to punt?

It looks like all of the failing sequences in that scenario have the property that you have less in inflation adjusted dollars in your port than you began with at the 10 year mark. So one could use that as a danger signal.

Note that there are some successful sequences that also meet the criteria in the previous paragraph, so it's not a guaranteed failure at that point.

I think most people in that situation would be nervous enough to reevaluate their plans anyway (or would have already done so somewhere along the way in those first ten years).

2Cor521
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
SecondCor521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 11:03 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arnie View Post
I would think one way to see if you are "on one of those lines" is to redo the calculations you made to determine if you were ready to retire in the first place. If the calculations still come out telling you to go for it, you are still fine. For example (oversimplifying) someone who retired with a 4% SWR based on needing 40k per year and having $1 million in savings is as good off five years later if they meet the same basic criteria. If they only have 500k left and cannot live on 20k per year, they are headed under the bar.
It would seem that way, but it's not.

If you run FIRECALC again, you are effectively subjecting yourself to two sequential strings of the worst periods in history. Or at least the 'bad' string you may have experienced, followed by the worst. It doesn't reflect history at that point. We can only guess what the future will be.

Consider those strings that dip to 50% and then recover. If you re-run with that amount, you obviously have a much higher failure rate with that amount (softened a bit, since your portfolio length has shortened by x years). It's going to take that 50% portfolio, and once again subject it to the same conditions that caused it to drop 50% in the first place.

You will need to drop your WR to ~ 2% if you want to be that robust.

-ERD50
ERD50 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 11:07 AM   #19
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
It would seem that way, but it's not.
+1
Old 12-11-2010, 11:26 AM   #20

I've written about my experience on this board
http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...old-47618.html

Happy to say that as of last month, we're back in ER mode. Returning to work when needed has always been one of the contingency plans. We also have a 'reasonable' portfolio allocation of 60 equities / 40 bonds. I've discussed these aspects on this forum too.

Otar writes about a test to see if your porfolio is on track. I think it has a check about 4 years into retirement. You'll have to look into it, but I clearly remember the topic.
walkinwood is offline   Reply With Quote