Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-20-2018, 07:33 PM   #101
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawrence of Suburbia View Post
I already have a reasonable amount in Wellesley, DODBX, etc. I'll just shift a little cash over to some sort of SPIA; a diversification move for me, really. And I'm in no hurry to make the move -- it's possible interest rates (and SPIA payouts) may have moved upwards by later this year or early next.
Not only may interest rates increase, the actuarial number of years the they have to pay out will be less. Both would increase your monthly income. Delaying is your friend, I think.
CRLLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-20-2018, 07:41 PM   #102
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by njhowie View Post
I'm not understanding why it would/should be a dilemma.. . .

If you have the guarantee that makes the numbers work, why even entertain the Vanguard fund which would expose you to market risk?
Because there's a way to get even less risk and higher return? Put the money "fenced" for the SPIA into a CD or CD ladder. Unless interest rates go down (anybody think that will happen??), he'll get a better rate next year, and the cash will be safe. If in a CD ladder, he can buy a small SPIA every year from a different company (as the adverts say, "annuities depends on the claims paying ability of the insurer.". Sure, the risk is small, but it isn't zero). And if the OP gets hit by a bus while the dough is in CDs, somebody he knows gets his money, it doesn't go to an insurer.
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 12:12 AM   #103
Recycles dryer sheets

I'd like to thank everyone who chipped in ideas based on post, it's been a big help to me -- challenging/sharpening up my ideas re: immediate annuity or not, etc.

I'll barely make FIRE'd, by a year (65 vs. 66, whew!); and I'll live cheerfully on what I like to call ... sufficient.

- Jack Bogle
Lawrence of Suburbia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 04:53 AM   #104

Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post
Because there's a way to get even less risk and higher return? Put the money "fenced" for the SPIA into a CD or CD ladder. Unless interest rates go down (anybody think that will happen??), he'll get a better rate next year, and the cash will be safe. If in a CD ladder, he can buy a small SPIA every year from a different company (as the adverts say, "annuities depends on the claims paying ability of the insurer.". Sure, the risk is small, but it isn't zero). And if the OP gets hit by a bus while the dough is in CDs, somebody he knows gets his money, it doesn't go to an insurer.
I don't disagree with you, as I am a big fan of CDs at this time and as rates are rising. However, that was not one of the alternatives he indicated he was considering based on the posts. Further, if he is comfortable with the SPIA and the insurer backing it, there's no particular reason it wouldn't work out just fine for him. Whether he lives long enough to make out well on the SPIA is a wager on his longevity, little different than life insurance in general. It is possible he lives to be 95 and collects more than enough to make it worth it based on his needs and calculations today. He is getting the guarantee today, we have no idea where interest rates will be 5, 10, or 20 years from now. CDs could be the better option longer term, but we just don't know that today. He could begin laddering the CDs, moving over some amount to SPIA periodically. If the economy goes into recession, and it will at some point, the Fed will chop rates right back down again.

My guess is that unless interest rates move significantly higher over a compressed time frame, applying a CD laddering approach and buying smaller SPIAs periodically will not yield results much different either higher or lower in returns as opposed to buying in one lump sum today. I have to believe the insurance companies price the SPIA so that this is the case.
njhowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 09:57 AM   #105
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRLLS View Post
Maybe off topic, Maybe not.

I see some of you saying that SPIA's 6.2% is different that Rate of Return due to the payback of principle. I get that. When comparing that against "the 4% rule", which also consumes the original investment in 30 years, how exactly isn't that a fair comparison? Excluding the COLA bit , and the 100% transfer or remaining to your beneficiary of course. I think those can be accommodated in a SPIA, albeit not at the 6.2% rate quoted earlier.

BTW, Immediateannuitites.com has the CPI option to check, but it appears to not be an on-line quote. You must fill out the form and someone will get back to you. I don't want solicitations.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbee View Post
Because the 4% return from the Trinity Study does not consume the original investment in 30 years in most instances.
+1 Putting aside COLA increases, which are a big deal, in many scenarios of the Trinity Study there were significant balances after the time horizon... in many cases much more than the $1,000 initial balance.

See Table 4 in this link:

https://incomeclub.co/wp-content/upl...ustainable.pdf

You can also see that if you do a FIRECalc run with 4% WR..... many of the lines are much higher than the initial balance after paying COLA adjusted withdrawals for 30 years and only a hand-full fail.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 12:32 PM   #106

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRLLS View Post
BTW, Immediateannuitites.com has the CPI option to check, but it appears to not be an on-line quote. You must fill out the form and someone will get back to you. I don't want solicitations.
Go here:
https://annuities.blueprintincome.co...annuity-quotes

It will give a popup to enter name/email/password but you can just enter bogus info if you like - it will still give you the quotes and let you play with the inputs including inflation protection and death benefit.
njhowie is offline   Reply With Quote