Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-12-2017, 01:52 PM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

I plan to file for the 50% spousal benefit next year. I made the cutoff date for this loophole by about 1 year.

Provided nothing changes before then, my SS "bonus" will be north of $36k. That is calculated based on me living past my breakeven point which is not a guarantee. But I would have delayed filing on my own benefits until age 70 with or without this bonus.

From what I remember (that may be not so clear) the legislation that corrected the "unintended" loopholes was pushed thru fairly quickly and buried in other, larger legislation. It takes time for the omnipotent Senior Citizen Lobby to get moving.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-12-2017, 01:56 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by harllee View Post
Someone more knowledgeable than me will probably respond but I think you would also have to be at least 62 and taking your own SS for her to receive half of your benefits. In my case my husband has been receiving his SS for several years so I was able to claim half of his benefit.
yes you have to be at least 62 . the spouse who's record is being used has to file then when you file you can get spousal . but it is not 1/2 his at 62. you would get 1/2 his full less 30%.

if you filed for spousal at fra you get 1/2 his full.

interesting surprise was my wife filed at 62 for her own .she is 2 years older .

she could not get spousal though until i filed . i filed at 65 and she was 67 . since she was over fra they calculated her a bit differently than the chart on ss indicates .

even though she filed at 62 and collected her own , because she could not get spousal until fra they did the following .

they took 1/2 my full , subtracted her full and added the difference on top of her early benefit .

in fact i got my very first check yesterday and she got her first spousal adder

Old 10-12-2017, 02:58 PM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpeirce View Post
I'm wondering if my DW can use this.

She was born in '52 (so is grandfathered in) and I was born in '61.

She's deferring SS until 70.

Can she tap into this next year when she's 66 even though I'm not (can't be) taking SS yet.
No, she can't do that any longer. In order for her to claim spousal you have to be drawing SS.
And whatever your labors and aspirations in the noisy confusion of life, keep peace in your soul. With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be cheerful. Strive to be happy.- Desiderata by Max Ehrmann
MissMolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 02:04 PM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

Similar here, DW ‘52 and me ‘58. Can’t use it with todays changed laws. However, in my case she CAN still suspend after her FRA, and let it grow. But I know she will not, she is way too much a bird in the hand person.
Old 10-13-2017, 02:56 PM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm turning full retirement age in March 2018. I had anticipated that I would have to go into a SSA center in order to do this because I have read that a lot of agents don't know how to do a restricted filing. How hard was it to file online??
Old 10-13-2017, 02:57 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

We were also lucky enough to be decrepit old farts able to use the loophole strategy in the OP. As stated, it’s a lot of unexpected but very welcome funding. In fact, it more than funded our Lindblad trip to the Galapagos.
Old 10-13-2017, 02:59 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScaredtoQuit View Post
I'm turning full retirement age in March 2018. I had anticipated that I would have to go into a SSA center in order to do this because I have read that a lot of agents don't know how to do a restricted filing. How hard was it to file online??
Do it with a telephone appointment. Smooth and reliable.
Old 10-13-2017, 04:25 PM   #28
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Original OP here. Very easy to do online. There is a comments section where I explained that I was claiming based on my husband's record and that I was not claiming on my record. I stated that I planned to defer claiming on my own record until a later time. Couple of weeks later I received a call from someone at SS who asked me was I sure I just wanted to claim on my husband's record because I could get a larger amount claiming on my record and I confirmed I wanted to claim and my husband's record and defer mine. The person also told me I would be getting a new medicare card (which I did not know). The SS person also asked to talk with my husband to confirm that I was his wife, etc.

I had to put in my bank account info for the deposit of the payment. I noticed that SS had tested my bank account with a zero deposit a few days ago. I will get the first payment in November.
Old 10-14-2017, 08:18 AM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
it is easy as can be but there are no provisions for spousal on line . we called and made an appointment to do it on the phone . they called right on the minute and asked both of us some questions and done . first checks came wed
Old 10-14-2017, 10:37 AM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Being able to take advantage of the great flexibility of SS is one of its greatest benefits. Take it at age 62, or take your chances and take it at age 70. Some have said that it is gaming the system if you stretch it out to age 70, after piggy-backing on your spouse for a few years. I call it taking advantage of the flexible benefits.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 10:58 AM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeyd View Post
Being able to take advantage of the great flexibility of SS is one of its greatest benefits. Take it at age 62, or take your chances and take it at age 70. Some have said that it is gaming the system if you stretch it out to age 70, after piggy-backing on your spouse for a few years. I call it taking advantage of the flexible benefits.
keep in mind that while delaying no spousal is paid so you can give up not only your checks while waiting but sometimes a lot in spousal . for every month i delayed my wife did not get 330.00 a month added to hers
Old 10-16-2017, 08:06 AM   #32
Recycles dryer sheets

Here's another question if you don't mind! When should I apply to make sure I get my benefits as soon as possible?? My wife turns 66 in January and I turn 66 two months later in March.
Old 10-16-2017, 08:27 AM   #33
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Here's another question if you don't mind! When should I apply to make sure I get my benefits as soon as possible?? My wife turns 66 in January and I turn 66 two months later in March.
OP here, I applied 3 months ahead of my 66th birthdate online and that seemed to work fine.
Old 10-16-2017, 08:49 AM   #34
Recycles dryer sheets

Thanks so much for your guidance. I've been planning to do this for almost 10 years now. I actually consider myself very lucky to still be able to do it!! After all, if I had been born 665 days later, I'd have been out of luck!!
Old 10-16-2017, 10:38 AM   #35
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Thanks so much for your guidance. I've been planning to do this for almost 10 years now. I actually consider myself very lucky to still be able to do it!! After all, if I had been born 665 days later, I'd have been out of luck!!
OP here, glad to be of help. As I said in my original post I read about this earlier on this Forum and that is how I knew about it, glad to pass it on.
Old 10-16-2017, 10:48 PM   #36
Recycles dryer sheets

I applied 3 months before I turned 62 and the SS clerk asked if I wanted to get a check for the 3 months before my birthday. I smiled and explained to him how it works.