Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-04-2014, 09:31 AM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
the op made up quite a comprehensive list of pro's and con's but missed the number one reason for not leaving money with an ex employer.

having had my 401k trapped in the maze of procedures and paper work when my company fell on hard times and closed the 401k i would say never leave money in a 401k with an ex employer if you do not have to.

we were lucky and it took only 8 months. for 8 months all access is cut off , the money is moved into cash by the state while the state assigns a custodian to break it up.
this wasn't a bankruptsey, the company just was closing down and stopped paying the custodian while closing the plan.

the custodian stops acting as the custodian and the state takes over until they assign a state appointed custodian.

there are ex employees that have to be tracked down so spousal concent forms can be signed as well.

folks who had a plan closed on them have waited years sometimes to get their money out.

no money can be sent out until all forms are back signed. it is a very long process .

this is something you do not even think about when you leave money with an ex employer until it happens to you.
That is something to consider. I'm only familiar with a few plans, and they are all sponsored by very large global companies. My view is very skewed in that regard.

The other part of the equation is the services company you need to deal with. Again, I only have limited knowledge of Schwab, ING, Fidelity, who provided services in the examples I mentioned.

In my case, I am not afraid of megacorp or ING failing in the next 5-10 years. I'm sticking with 401(k) as is, and will consider a rollover next year.

I think your point should be included, and thanks for mentioning it.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-04-2014, 09:38 AM   #22
Full time employment: Posting here.

Another benefit of leaving the money in the 401k: If OP has post-tax money in an IRA, and wishes to convert some IRA money to a Roth, the pre-tax money in the 401k is not included in the pro rata rules for determining how much of a Roth conversion is taxable.

Old 06-04-2014, 10:09 AM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
Other factors are that... it may be more secure in a lawsuit.
Are 401ks treated differently than IRAs with regards to lawsuits?
Old 06-04-2014, 12:55 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajs56 View Post
401Ks are federally protected under the ERISA law. IRA protection differ by state.
Old 06-04-2014, 12:59 PM   #25
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I believe that it varies from state to state.

IRAs Could Be Fair Game in Lawsuits¬*-¬*Los Angeles Times
Old 06-04-2014, 02:04 PM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets

Thanks for the replies, I will check on IRA law in Michigan!
Old 06-04-2014, 02:20 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Yes. IRAs vary by state. See IRA Asset Protection | Self Directed IRA | IRA Creditor Protection | IRA Bankruptcy Protection | www.irafinancialgroup.com or Protection From Creditors for Retirement Plan Assets
pb4uski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 03:25 PM   #28
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
While I understand your reasoning, don't be short sighted - there can be some situations where it is better to leave the 401k with the employer - for example, if the employer 401k happens to offer a good stable value fund or access to other good funds not available to retail investors.

Again, as mentioned, a 401(k) is safe from lawsuits. Speaking from experience, it's a small price to pay to have that money "protected". There are some crazy people out there.
Old 06-05-2014, 05:50 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
having had my 401k trapped in the maze of procedures and paper work when my company fell on hard times and closed the 401k i would say never leave money in a 401k with an ex employer if you do not have to.
I saw that happen to a bunch of guys that I worked with. The former company went BK and it took years and thousands in attorney fees to get access to their 401ks. That's why when I left my 401k was rolled to an IRA within a few days.

But it depends on the company. I'd feel comfortable leaving my money in a 401k at stable company, say Coca-Cola or General Electric.
Old 06-05-2014, 05:58 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

or any of the other dow stocks that are no longer around.
Old 08-21-2014, 03:54 PM   #31

I was thinking of keeping my 401k account rather than rolling over.

But they would charge $5 a quarter. And who knows if they would raise those fees later.

It's with Schwab.

Anyone else facing fees for maintaining 401k accounts?
Old 08-21-2014, 04:18 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by explanade View Post
I was thinking of keeping my 401k account rather than rolling over.

But they would charge $5 a quarter. And who knows if they would raise those fees later.

It's with Schwab.

Anyone else facing fees for maintaining 401k accounts?
Just curious: Is that $5/quarter factoring into your decision?
Old 08-21-2014, 04:39 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumDay View Post
Again, as mentioned, a 401(k) is safe from lawsuits. Speaking from experience, it's a small price to pay to have that money "protected". There are some crazy people out there.
Yes, a 401K is fully protected by federal law because (unlike an IRA) it is considered a pension plan, and federal pension laws protect 401K assets from lawsuits just as they protect defined benefit plans.

IRAs have various levels of protection from state to state. Texas, Florida and Oklahoma have the highest level of asset protection for IRAs, essentially unlimited just as a 401K plan is.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 05:26 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

I wouldn't sweat the $5/quarter. More important things to consider:

Investment choices, performance and expense ratios
Does the 401k have a good stable value fund that is not available in an IRA?
Potential for penalty free withdrawals if you left in or after the year you turned 55 if the plan allows it
Simplification of having everything in one spot
Treatment of IRA in a lawsuit in your state

In my case the better investment choices and lower expense ratios and simplification won out and i rolled my 401k over into my IRA.
pb4uski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 05:58 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
I wouldn't sweat the $5/quarter. More important things to consider:

Investment choices, performance and expense ratios
Does the 401k have a good stable value fund that is not available in an IRA?
Potential for penalty free withdrawals if you left in or after the year you turned 55 if the plan allows it
Simplification of having everything in one spot
Treatment of IRA in a lawsuit in your state

In my case the better investment choices and lower expense ratios and simplification won out and i rolled my 401k over into my IRA.
Just to be clear this is where I was headed with the question.
Old 08-21-2014, 07:30 PM   #36
Recycles dryer sheets

My 401k will charge $4-5 per month (based on some complicated formula) beginning a year after separation. I plan on keeping my 401k for a good long time. It has a number of institutional Vanguard funds that I couldn't get otherwise, and their lower expense rates more than make up for the administration fee. Plus there's the extra legal protection mentioned by others.
Old 08-21-2014, 09:47 PM   #37

Yeah for right now, it's in VBTIX.

$5 shouldn't be a factor but I wonder about fee-creep, Schwab increasing it over time.

I forgot about the liability protection but instead was wary about having it not fully in my control. Yet having it in Schwab, which is the custodian for my employer, should be no less under my control than my Vanguard Flagship account.