Join Early Retirement Today

401k and IRA together?
Old 12-08-2019, 07:20 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

401k and IRA together?

This may be a silly question but there is a lot of conflicting info on the web so I figured I would ask here.

Can I contribute the max (19k) into my 401k and then also put money into an IRA (max 6k there) to grow tax free? I thought (was told years ago) once I maxed out the 401K that I couldn’t put money into an IRA.

Is it smart to do both if we can? If so I just missed some serious tax sheltering the last bunch of years.

Also, my wife didn’t work this year. Can I contribute to her IRA before year end? Do I have to set up a spouse IRA type?

We are both under 50.

I’d like to have more money in these tax sheltered accounts if possible and we can certainly afford to move more into them.
Retireby45ish is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-08-2019, 07:53 PM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

yes, I have contributed to 401k and IRA for over 24 years but with Roth IRA, think the income limit can't be over around 190K filed jointly or else you put it in Traditional IRA.

FYI, only Roth IRA growths tax free not Traditional IRA.
targatom2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 08:50 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retireby45ish View Post
This may be a silly question but there is a lot of conflicting info on the web so I figured I would ask here.

[1] Can I contribute the max (19k) into my 401k and then also put money into an IRA (max 6k there) to grow tax free? I thought (was told years ago) once I maxed out the 401K that I couldn’t put money into an IRA.

[2] Is it smart to do both if we can? If so I just missed some serious tax sheltering the last bunch of years.

Also, my wife didn’t work this year. [3] Can I contribute to her IRA before year end? [4] Do I have to set up a spouse IRA type?

We are both under 50.

I’d like to have more money in these tax sheltered accounts if possible and we can certainly afford to move more into them.
[Numbers added for reference.]

1. Yes, assuming you have enough earned income and not too much income. There are income limits which determine whether or not you may deduct a traditional IRA contribution. There is also an income limit above which you may not make a Roth IRA contribution.

Technically amounts put into a traditional IRA grow tax-deferred, meaning no taxes are due until you withdraw money. Contributions to a Roth IRA grow tax-deferred and can be withdrawn tax-free given certain basic requirements.

2. Generally, yes. Tax deferral is often a good thing. If you expect to be wealthier in retirement and have a very high income, it might be better *not* to defer. But often it is good to defer because you can often find a later tax year where you can realize the income and pay a lower rate than whatever you avoided paying now by deferring the income until later.

3. Yes. You can generally contribute to her IRA for this tax year (2019) any time before the tax filing deadline (generally April 15, 2020) as long as you have enough earned income between the two of you to cover your IRA contributions. So if you made $31K, you could put $19K in your 401(k), $6K in your IRA, and $6K in her IRA.

4. No. The IRA itself is not a spousal IRA, the contribution you make is a spousal IRA contribution to her regular IRA.
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
SecondCor521 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 10:39 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
OP - I think SecondCor521 answered it well, given the information provided.

Somewhat related, I suggest OP you open a ROTH in both your wife and yourself names. Get it where there are zero fees for account management so you pay nothing in fees. Stick $1.00 in each.
The reason is this starts the 5 clock on Roth ownership for you, which may be useful later on.
Old 12-09-2019, 05:42 AM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

401k and IRA together?

Thanks.

1. Seems like the income limits to deduct the IRA part are my issue. Earned Income this year is going to be north of $200k. And when she returns to W&rk next year we will make over $300k. So, it seems like the IRA is out (right?) because of the limits on income. Same with the Roth option. (From what I read).

Other numbers discussed not relevant because Of the issue above.
Retireby45ish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 06:12 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Thanks.

1. Seems like the income limits to deduct the IRA part are my issue. Earned Income this year is going to be north of $200k. And when she returns to W&rk next year we will make over $300k. So, it seems like the IRA is out (right?) because of the limits on income. Same with the Roth option. (From what I read).

A deductible IRA is off the table.

https://www.irs.gov/retirement-plans...duction-limits
target2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 06:53 AM   #7
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Thanks.

You could put post-tax income into a new tIRA and then convert the entire balance to a Roth IRA. That's what we've been doing, since our income precludes us contributing the max to a Roth. I put it in a money market, to minimize the taxable gain, then convert as soon as Fidelity will let me (usually about a week later, I have no idea why it isn't sooner).
Old 12-09-2019, 06:59 AM   #8
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Thanks.

1. ........................... So, it seems like the IRA is out (right?) because of the limits on income. ....................................
unless you want to explore the backdoor Roth https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Backdoor_Roth

Be sure to read and understand the whole process, esp. the Cautions section.
kaneohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 10:54 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cosmic Avenger View Post
You could put post-tax income into a new tIRA and then convert the entire balance to a Roth IRA. That's what we've been doing, since our income precludes us contributing the max to a Roth. I put it in a money market, to minimize the taxable gain, then convert as soon as Fidelity will let me (usually about a week later, I have no idea why it isn't sooner).
Yeah, this ^.
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
SecondCor521 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 01:08 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Location: South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering Creek
I once worked at a PT job (after retirement) and found out that everyone of my fellow employees were there for the same reason: To fund their Roth IRA. After earning $7500 (Roth IRA max), we quit.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote