Join Early Retirement Today
401k catch up question
Old 11-17-2009, 09:14 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
401k catch up question

I have a 53 year old friend and former coworker (I'm retired) who wants to take advantage of the catch up option to add to his 401k balance. However, when he called the benefits office they told him they don't allow that. Has anyone ever heard of this before? Can they stop him from doing the catch up? And why would they? I can't think of how it would hurt them in any way, since he has already maxed out the match. Do you think he might have just gotten a loser help desk person and should try again? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

"Good judgment comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement." - Will Rogers
DW and I - FIREd at 50 (7/06), living off assets
harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-17-2009, 09:19 PM   #2
Give me a forum ...
I found this...I don't know how accurate it is...

401k catch up contributions

Not all 401k plans offer catch up contributions nor are they required by law to do so.

If I were him, I'd talk to someone else though...just in case.

There's no need to complicate, our time is short..
bbbamI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 09:23 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Check this link:
401k contributions, ERISA, 401k compliance testing and 401k loans

The relevant quote (note underline):
"Catch-up contributions. For tax years beginning after 2001, a plan may permit participants who are age 50 or over at the end of the calendar year to make additional elective deferral contributions. These additional contributions (commonly referred to as catch-up contributions) are not subject to the general limits that apply to 401(k) plans. An employer is not required to provide for catch-up contributions in any of its plans. However, if your plan does allow catch-up contributions, it must allow all eligible participants to make the same election with respect to catch-up contributions. "

As far as WHY, I'm not sure. Could it have something to do with discrimination testing for HCEs?
Finance Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 09:04 AM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
So, if one turns 50 in a particular calendar year (2010 for example), but plan on retiring the 1st of the month following their 50th birthday (say May 1st) does that mean the individual can put $17,500K (salary permitting obviously) into their 401k between Jan & April?
Make no mistake, my friend, it takes more than money to make men rich. - A. P. Gouthey
Fireup2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 09:10 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...
One can make catch-up contributions while they are age 49 as long as they are age 50 by December 31st of that year. My spouse has a November birthday, so she made sure she was contributing enough since January in order to end up with $22,000 ($16,500 + $5,500) total.

If you make the money, you can put it in. So if your first paycheck is $25,000, then many companies will let you put in $22,000. Many companies have limited the percent of paycheck that you can contribute though. My spouse's limit is 90% and my limit is 75%.
LOL! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 09:13 AM   #6
Originally Posted by Finance Dave View Post
As far as WHY, I'm not sure. Could it have something to do with discrimination testing for HCEs?
Either that or because their custodian's system isn't equipped to handle the catch-up provision. Sucks either way.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 09:17 PM   #7
Dryer sheet wannabe
My company also has the catch up plan up to $22K. This money can also be part of the company match.

Wormrider is offline   Reply With Quote