Join Early Retirement Today
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
401k contribution tax year
Old 12-12-2013, 08:39 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 2,049
401k contribution tax year

I made a contribution this week to my solo 401k and didn't realize that the "2012" tax year button was clicked.

Is this even an excess contribution when it's past the final date of 2012 contributions, Oct. 15th? Or is it a nondeductible contribution that I can apply to my 2013 limit?

The IRS is pretty clear about 10/15 being the cut off for 2012 contributions. I'm not sure how that applies here. The IRS won't recognize this contribution for 2012's impossible to be categorized as 2012 and obviously should be for 2013?? The IRS doesn't make simple mistakes easy to fix though.

Anyone dealt with this before? I'd rather pay the 10% penalty on excess contributions and avoid the withdrawal-1099 mess.

eridanus is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-13-2013, 07:09 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
pb4uski's Avatar
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Vermont & Sarasota, FL
Posts: 17,840
Call your administrator and have them fix it. It won't be a problem if they fix it before it is reported to the IRS. Worst case you can do a mistaken contribution withdrawal and then redeposit it as a 2013 contribution. It may automatically be applied to 2013 since it exceeds 2012 but it would be best to have the administrator fix it.

If something cannot endure laughter.... it cannot endure.
Patience is the art of concealing your impatience.
Slow and steady wins the race.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56...60/35/5 AA
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 11:07 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 2,049
Thanks. After several phone transfers and a call back, Vanguard determined that they could fix it. They reversed the deposit and re-applied it for 2013.
eridanus is offline   Reply With Quote

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:40 AM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.