Join Early Retirement Today
401k question
Old 10-25-2011, 07:03 AM   #1
Dryer sheet aficionado
401k question

Hello Everyone,

I am thinking of adding either small cap or international stock fund to my current mutual fund mix of BGRIX 45% mid cap FBIDX 55% bonds. This is a fairly new 401k. My old one has been converted to IRA and hold alot of large cap stocks and bonds. I really trying to use this 401k to take a little more risk now. I know index bond fund is not the mst risking but I am looking to add it now. I bought the bond fund to change my overal mix.
* for morningstar rating
Anyway here are my choices for small cap GSSIX(****).
I have more choice for International FDIKX (**), JIGFX, MSIQX(*****), FSIIX(***)

I would appreciate any thoughts on which fund to choose and why? please forgive any spelling errors.

Paws is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-25-2011, 08:38 AM   #2
What is your overall asset allocation target (you are 45/55 now with all the equities in a midcap fund)? And what are your fund choices overall?

You say you want more risk, but how much more? 60/40? 80/20? All in to equities?

"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 09:00 AM   #3
Dryer sheet aficionado
Acctually I should of said I want more reward or growth but to get that I need to take more risk. This 401k is a small part of my overal portfolio. My overall mix is 65% equity and 35% bond. Most of the equity is large and mid cap stocks. I have little small cap and no international exposure. I would like to target maybe a 70/30 mix.
I am just look for someone else thought as to where to add to those areas.
Paws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 11:09 AM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I'd start with international as a first step and add small cap later. Your allocation to international should probably be larger than small cap, so that's where you're probably most out of balance. Can't go too wrong with FSIIX.
Animorph is offline   Reply With Quote