Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

401K Rollover question & Accessing it at 55 yrs old penalty free
Old 02-05-2017, 08:56 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

401K Rollover question & Accessing it at 55 yrs old penalty free

Here's a question to the tax savvy:

I quit my other job at 52 years old, and have a 401K balance there of about $400K. I'm planning to roll it over to my new 401K in my new job I started this January.

My question is: If I quit my new job after the age of 55 years old, will I be able to withdraw any amount of that $400K rollover without paying the 10% penalty ?

I understand that once you quite your job after the age of 55 years old, you do not pay the 10% penalty for 401Ks (but not for IRAs). Does that apply to the 401k rollover portion from previous jobs as well

Thanks in advance.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-05-2017, 09:05 AM   #2

This website says "Yes" to your question.

"A workaround could be to consolidate your retirement account money into your employer’s plan, terminate after 55, and then take withdrawals from that plan."

https://thefinancebuff.com/age-55-no...401k-plan.html
Z3Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 12:20 PM   #3

Nice !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z3Dreamer View Post
This website says "Yes" to your question.

"A workaround could be to consolidate your retirement account money into your employer’s plan, terminate after 55, and then take withdrawals from that plan."

https://thefinancebuff.com/age-55-no...401k-plan.html
Old 02-06-2017, 04:29 PM   #4

On a side note, DH worked at a Fortune 500 company that had a 5 year vesting rule. The way I understood it, if he quit less than working 5 years, any money the company matched in his 401k would be forfeited. Does your company have any similar conditions?
swakyaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 04:32 PM   #5

You'll want to make sure (if you haven't already) that the new company's 401k allows for withdrawals after age 55, but before age 59.5. Not all do. It will be in the plan summary documents.
Old 02-08-2017, 06:58 PM   #6

For my new job, yes - the vesting in 5 years.
But all my contributions are 100% vested immediately, of course.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swakyaby View Post
On a side note, DH worked at a Fortune 500 company that had a 5 year vesting rule. The way I understood it, if he quit less than working 5 years, any money the company matched in his 401k would be forfeited. Does your company have any similar conditions?
Old 02-08-2017, 07:00 PM   #7

Yes, I did talk to the administrator of my 401K.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodi View Post
You'll want to make sure (if you haven't already) that the new company's 401k allows for withdrawals after age 55, but before age 59.5. Not all do. It will be in the plan summary documents.