Join Early Retirement Today

401k to IRA conversion
Old 03-06-2015, 12:19 PM   #1
Dryer sheet aficionado

401k to IRA conversion

Quick question; I had an older 401k that was converted to an IRA & rolled into my Vanguard accounts. These are all pretax dollars.

Can I still contribute to this same converted IRA using after tax funds?

I assume i would just need to track the cost basis of the non-deductible contributions? (we are over the earnings limit for tax deductible cont)

Any downside to this method aside from the self tracking of after tax contributions?

Thanks to all the providers of FIRE wisdom on this site....
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-06-2015, 12:22 PM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregory r. View Post
Quick question; I had an older 401k that was converted to an IRA & rolled into my Vanguard accounts. These are all pretax dollars.

Can I still contribute to this same converted IRA using after tax funds?
You can, but it's better if you can "hide" it somewhere and then do backdoor Roth. That way the earnings on your after-tax contributions will be tax free.
thefinancebuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 12:32 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

As someone who just spent the weekend untangling the threads of old rollovers and after tax contribs, keep them separate. Your tired brain will thank you! You still have to apportion it come RMD time, I guess but I (usually) am in to simplicity.
Choices is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 01:20 PM   #4
Dryer sheet aficionado

thanks for quick thoughts!! I thought about the ROTH BD conversion but it's been sitting for 10 yrs with appreciable gains, and I'm 55 hoping to FIRE in 3 yrs at a lower tax rate. If I recall for the conversion i would have to pay income at today's rate on the whole nut?
Choices .....I would agree with you on the simplicity aspect. thanks
Old 03-06-2015, 01:30 PM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

If you're not converting to a Roth soon, and with an untaxed IRA that is probably likely, I'd keep it in a normal taxable account with a tax efficient allocation. An equity index fund would be fine. Then your gains are mostly long-term and not regular income. It all depends on your specific tax situation of course.
Animorph is offline   Reply With Quote