Re: 401K vs IRA
Some advantages of IRA over 401k
1. More investment choices
2. Usually a longer payout option for beneficiaries.
3. You have control of assets. No need to worry about "orphaned" plan due to lack of trustee.
4. More flexibility in naming beneficiaries, esp. where original participant is deceased.
Advantages of 401k over IRA
1. Participants usually are allowed to take loans from qualified plans--can't with IRAs.
2. QPs are protected from creditors under ERISA. IRAs are covered by state law in this regard.
3. Lower retirement age to access funds without penalty (55 v. 59 1/2)
4. 401k may be getting lower expenses on identical mutual funds (institutional rate v. individual rate)
5. A mutual fund in a QP may be available for new investment, even though it is closed to new individual investors.