Join Early Retirement Today

401k's - Protected or not?
Old 05-19-2007, 06:33 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

401k's - Protected or not?

Hello All -

I'm wondering what happens to a 401k if the employer goes belly up? I'm talking about a mid sized corporation. For bank deposits there is the FDIC. For Pensions there is the PBGC.

When I retired early, I left my 401K at the old employer. It continues to grow and I see no reason to roll it into an IRA at this time unless I feel the firm may experience financial hardships.

Is there any Federal protection for 401k's similar to the protections listed above?
Life_is_Good is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: 401k's - Protected or not?
Old 05-19-2007, 06:42 PM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

401k's aren't an asset of the company, rather they are held by a trustee that the company has contracted with.
gindie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2007, 06:42 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Yes... Read up on VESTING
crazy connie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2007, 06:48 PM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

If the company matches your contribution in company stock that part of your 401K would be at risk. I think today the government will only allow 10% of the match to be in company stock.
Freein05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2007, 07:42 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by gindie
401k's aren't an asset of the company, rather they are held by a trustee that the company has contracted with.
Yeah, don't worry about it. The worst I've seen happen is some delays in distributions after a bankruptcy but I would find something else to worry about

saluki9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 02:51 AM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

went thru it at my old company, our 401k's were safe and we got every penny.
mathjak107 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 12:00 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Life_is_Good
When I retired early, I left my 401K at the old employer. It continues to grow and I see no reason to roll it into an IRA at this time unless I feel the firm may experience financial hardships.
I disagree !

There are benefits of rolling it over into an IRA ! Most of these benefits are are for "your loved ones" who will inherit. Converting and IRA to a Roth IRA, while expensive, has even more benefits.

I have found this book, The Retirement Savings Time Bomb...and How to Defuse It, very easy to understand and very useful, especially on this topic.
theoldwizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 08:28 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Your employer should not have control over the 401k, instead a trustee should be in control of plan assets. The failure of your employer's business should not effect the 401k. That said, I have seen employers who failed to forward contributions to the plan. Especially contributions due right before the business goes under. If the contributions never get to into the 401k, then there would be a problem.

I used to be hesitant about rolling over a 401k to an IRA because of the less protection an IRA had under bankruptcy laws. Now if you file bankruptcy an IRA has protection up to a million in assets and rolled over 401ks into IRAs have unlimited protection. Nevertheless, if you do not file bankruptcy, under state law an IRA may have less protections than a 401k.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 08:45 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

The only problem I had was when the employer took the money and did not send it on to the trustee. Took Elaine Chou to beat it out of them.
Old 05-21-2007, 09:03 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

That brings me to the next question...what happens if something bad happens to the trustee?
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 09:55 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cute Fuzzy Bunny
That brings me to the next question...what happens if something bad happens to the trustee?
I was wondering if someone would ask.

The plan assets are in trust for the participant's benefit. If the plan trustee ended up in bankruptcy or otherwise was insolvent, those assets would not be available to the trustee's creditors. Now if the trustee stole plan assets then the assets may be gone. It is possible that a fidelity bond would reimburse you for a trustee's bad acts. Trustees stealing plan assets has got to be rare rare rare.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 10:19 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha
I was wondering if someone would ask.

The plan assets are in trust for the participant's benefit. If the plan trustee ended up in bankruptcy or otherwise was insolvent, those assets would not be available to the trustee's creditors. Now if the trustee stole plan assets then the assets may be gone. It is possible that a fidelity bond would reimburse you for a trustee's bad acts. Trustees stealing plan assets has got to be rare rare rare.
It's very rare

The only way it usually happens is if the trustee somehow pilfers the funds before they make it to the plan. This is a VERY rare event because every plan I have ever worked on has at least a few employees who check their contributions several times a day. The chances of them not noticing missing contributions is beyond small.

For a trustee to actually get money out of the plan (and not have the check sent to the bene or new custodian) would be near impossible.

saluki9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 02:51 AM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha View Post
... I have seen employers who failed to forward contributions to the plan...
True, but this is fraud and is what sent Denny McLain (the '68 World Series Tigers pitcher) to jail for the second time.

(And the pitcher that won the series, 3 of the 4 winning games, was Mickey Lolich. He used to own a doughnut shop north of Detroit, but now he is retired and never spent a day in prison !)
theoldwizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 07:16 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

So we need to get Paris Hilton involved in a donut shop if we're going to help her avoid future jail time?
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 08:54 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cute fuzzy bunny View Post
So we need to get Paris Hilton involved in a donut shop if we're going to help her avoid future jail time?
Nah, just place her on house arrest...in my house!

"All she really needed was some discipline..." FZ

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 10:41 AM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

I got my Enron 401k after they went belly up...from the trustee. However, those who foolishly kept their company contributions of ENE stock in ENE stock lost all that when ENE went under. Also, as they approached bankruptcy, they discontinued the company contribution.
Old 05-24-2007, 02:14 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by saluki9 View Post
It's very rare

The only way it usually happens is if the trustee somehow pilfers the funds before they make it to the plan. This is a VERY rare event because every plan I have ever worked on has at least a few employees who check their contributions several times a day. The chances of them not noticing missing contributions is beyond small.
Then I guess the impossible happened to me, although the owner put the money back after one of his officers told him he was going to report him to the govt.........the money was invested but we never got the money we lost by not being in the market..........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote