Join Early Retirement Today

403b and 457b Choices through TIAA-CREF
Old 11-24-2014, 08:32 PM   #1
Dryer sheet wannabe

403b and 457b Choices through TIAA-CREF

Hello everyone,

Its been a while since I've been on this website, but I could really use your sound advice. I'm 29 years old and I work with Fulton Schools in Georgia and I want to open up a 457b and 403b because I want to diversify my funds. I already have a Traditional IRA with Vanguard (I had a 401k that I rolled over), and I'm considering opening a ROTH IRA with Fidelity (I know their 2045 Freedom Index is pretty good) because I don't have to have a minimum of $1000 to open up an account with them.

In terms of the 457b and 403b, I decided to go with TIAA-CREF because based on reviews from relatives, they are the best option of vendors my district offers. However, I don't know what to choose.

I don't want to take serious risks; I just want to live comfortable upon retirement. I plan on retiring in 28-30 years, and I don't want to even think about working upon retirement. Please help! if I'm missing any information, please let me know.

Thanks in advance!
Bri Bri Burgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-24-2014, 09:17 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bri Bri Burgs View Post
Hello everyone,

Its been a while since I've been on this website, but I could really use your sound advice. I'm 29 years old and I work with Fulton Schools in Georgia and I want to open up a 457b and 403b because I want to diversify my funds. I already have a Traditional IRA with Vanguard (I had a 401k that I rolled over), and I'm considering opening a ROTH IRA with Fidelity (I know their 2045 Freedom Index is pretty good) because I don't have to have a minimum of $1000 to open up an account with them.

In terms of the 457b and 403b, I decided to go with TIAA-CREF because based on reviews from relatives, they are the best option of vendors my district offers. However, I don't know what to choose.

I don't want to take serious risks; I just want to live comfortable upon retirement. I plan on retiring in 28-30 years, and I don't want to even think about working upon retirement. Please help! if I'm missing any information, please let me know.

Thanks in advance!
What are your provider options?

I've been with TIAA-CREF for a while and they have good offerings with reasonable expenses. They are not as cheap as Vanguard because the retirement funds are structured as variable annuities, but they act just like mutual funds and the expenses are around 0.4% on the index funds. If you are super conservative they have a deferred income annuity called TIAA-Traditional, but it has very strict rules about withdrawals. At your age I would just invest in their index funds, US equity Index, International and maybe a bond index.

Do you have a pension with the school in addition to the 457b and 403b? If so I'd contribute to the 457b before the 403b, because you can access money in a 457b without penalty as soon as you stop working for the school district making early retirement convenient.

As far as the ROTH goes I'd just wait until you have enough to open one with Vanguard so you have the IRA and the ROTH in the same place. As far as investments go I'd stick it all in Vanguard's Wellington fund.

Current AA: 75% Equity Funds / 15% Bonds / 5% Stable Value /2% Cash / 3% TIAA Traditional
Retired Mar 2014 at age 52, target WR: 0.0%,
Income from pension and rent
nun is offline   Reply With Quote
Provider Options
Old 11-24-2014, 09:31 PM   #3
Dryer sheet wannabe

Provider Options

These are my options for the 403b and 457b
https://iwc.tiaa-cref.org/private/pa...goToInvestment
Old 11-24-2014, 09:58 PM   #4
Dryer sheet wannabe

In response to your question, every teacher that works in a school district in Georgia pay in TRS (Teacher Retirement System). I pay into that, but I don't pay into Social Security.

Thank you so very much for your advice regarding the roth. My original plan was to open a roth with Vanguard, but then I thought maybe I should go for Fidelity instead to avoid saving up the 1000 dollars.
Old 11-24-2014, 09:59 PM   #5
Dryer sheet wannabe

I posted all of the options that I have, but it seems like it didn't go through...
Old 11-24-2014, 10:07 PM   #6

Quote:
In response to your question, every teacher that works in a school district in Georgia pay in TRS (Teacher Retirement System). I pay into that, but I don't pay into Social Security.

Thank you so very much for your advice regarding the roth. My original plan was to open a roth with Vanguard, but then I thought maybe I should go for Fidelity instead to avoid saving up the 1000 dollars.
Yes , that's a similar set up that I had. You have an amazing opportunity to reduce your taxable income and save for retirement. I imagine the TRS is mandatory and then you can save more in the 457b and the 403b. So first max out the 457b and then start contributing to the 403b. If you can max out both eventually you will be doing really well.....that's what I did and it set me up well.

The only reason I suggested Vanguard for the ROTH was convenience and that they have very low fees. Fidelity also has low fees and are a good company, but you can end up with money all over the place and having TIAA-CREF and Vanguard is pretty good.

Current AA: 75% Equity Funds / 15% Bonds / 5% Stable Value /2% Cash / 3% TIAA Traditional
Old 11-24-2014, 11:06 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by nun View Post
What are your provider options?

I've been with TIAA-CREF for a while and they have good offerings with reasonable expenses. They are not as cheap as Vanguard because the retirement funds are structured as variable annuities, but they act just like mutual funds and the expenses are around 0.4% on the index funds. If you are super conservative they have a deferred income annuity called TIAA-Traditional, but it has very strict rules about withdrawals. At your age I would just invest in their index funds, US equity Index, International and maybe a bond index.

Do you have a pension with the school in addition to the 457b and 403b? If so I'd contribute to the 457b before the 403b, because you can access money in a 457b without penalty as soon as you stop working for the school district making early retirement convenient.

As far as the ROTH goes I'd just wait until you have enough to open one with Vanguard so you have the IRA and the ROTH in the same place. As far as investments go I'd stick it all in Vanguard's Wellington fund.
You might want to check the 457 plan document. The 457 plan I have allows post employment access w/o penalty only if you are 55 or older at date of employment termination , if you want to access the money , not rolling into another plan or ira.
Old 11-25-2014, 05:40 AM   #8
Dryer sheet wannabe

Plans

I actually met with an advisor, and he told me with the 457b plan, if I leave the company, I can take whatever I put in there with no penalty. I just can't touch the interest
Old 11-25-2014, 05:43 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewood90712 View Post
You might want to check the 457 plan document. The 457 plan I have allows post employment access w/o penalty only if you are 55 or older at date of employment termination , if you want to access the money , not rolling into another plan or ira.
Lakewood, is your 457 plan with a non-profit?

My understanding is that 457 withdrawal without penalty after separation is part of the statute for plans set up by states and their political subdivisions, but not for non-profits.

26 U.S. Code § 457 - Deferred compensation plans of State and local governments and tax-exempt organizations | LII / Legal Information Institute
No doubt a continuous prosperity, though spendthrift, is preferable to an economy thriftily moral, though lean. Nevertheless, that prosperity would seem more soundly shored if, by a saving grace, more of us had the grace to save.

Life Magazine editorial, 1956
Htown Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 05:58 AM   #10
Dryer sheet wannabe

Okay. I finally got the complete list of my options. This is for both 457b and 403b. The website suggested T.Rowe Price Income Adv Retirement 2050, but I would like to know what you all think.

Guaranteed
TIAA CREF Annuity Accounts
TIAA Traditional
Equities
CREF Stock
CREF Global Equities
CREF Growth
CREF Equity Index
Mutual Funds and Other Investment Options
TIAA-CREFF Mid-Cap Value Fund- Retirement Class
TIAA-CREFF S&P Index Fund- Retirement Class
Prudential Jennison Growth Fund A
Eaton Vance Large Cap Value A
Lord Abbett Developing Growth Fund Class A
American Funds Growth Fund of America- R3
Thornburg International Value Fund- Class R4
Invesco Small Cap Growth Fund A
Invesco Developing Markets Fund A
Invesco International Small Company Fund A
Columbia Acorn International A
Voya MidCap Opportunities Fund Class A
Perkins Mid Cap Value Fund S
Victory Munder Mid-Cap Core Growth A
T. Rowe Price Equity Income R
Perkins Small Cap Value Fund S
American Funds New World Fund R3
Federated Clover Small Value Fund Class A
Real Estate
TIAA Real Estate
Fixed Income
TIAA-CREF High Yield Fund- Retirement Class
MainStay High Yield Corporate Bond A
PIMCO Total Return Fund
Templeton Global Bond Class A
BlackRock Inflation Protected Bond A
Lord Abbett Short Duration Income A
PIMCO Real Return A
Wells Fargo Advantage Core Bond Fund A
Voya Global Bond Fund Class A
PIMCO Low Duration Fund Class A
Money Market
CREF Money Market
Mutual Funds and other Investment Options
TIAA-CREF Money Market Fund- Retirement Class
Multi-Asset
CREF Social Choice
Mutual Funds and Other Investment Options
T.Rowe Price Retirement Income Adv (5 year incremental options)
Old 11-25-2014, 06:00 AM   #11
Dryer sheet wannabe

I was also looking at this website because I currently have the target date retirement fund for my Traditional IRA, and I think the target date retirement funds will work for me. What do any of you think about the rankings? Should I ever consider the website below?

http://www.investmentnews.com/articl...get-date-funds
Old 11-25-2014, 06:14 AM   #12
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Many of the selections in your lineup can be researched. You should take the time to read some of the research. For example, TIAA-CREF S&P 500 Index Fund (Retirement) TRSPX:

https://www1.tiaa-cref.org/public/tc...?symbol=306105

That page tells me important details, such as the fund expenses and ticker. I can compare the results to lower-cost funds like Vanguard.

Also, be aware that your plan may charge other fees. I would find the broadest indexes and start with a few.
target2019 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 06:15 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I was also looking at this website because I currently have the target date retirement fund for my Traditional IRA, and I think the target date retirement funds will work for me. What do any of you think about the rankings? Should I ever consider the website below?

I can't login to that link, and I'm not interested in creating an account to do so. If something interests you, try to find the ticker symbol and post that. Or find links that don't require a login.
Good luck.
Old 11-25-2014, 06:17 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
These are my options for the 403b and 457b
https://iwc.tiaa-cref.org/private/pa...goToInvestment
Only someone with a TIAA-CREF account can get to that link. Sorry!
Old 11-25-2014, 06:23 AM   #15

Quote:

As far as the 457b goes, I worked for a state run university system and at termination got immediate penalty free access to all my 457b money.....I obviously have to pay tax on any withdrawals. Ask your HR retirement and benefits person about the terms of the 4576b rather than a financial advisor.

You have a lot of funds available in TIAA-CREF. Too many IMHO. I would go for inexpensive index funds and start with 4 max. A US equity, an international equity, a bond fund and maybe a real estate fund.

Old 11-25-2014, 06:25 AM   #16
Dryer sheet wannabe

I'm sorry target2019. I didn't realize the link for investment news required a login. I googled it and the website came up for me. I copied the link and thought it would automatically open up. Sorry about the tiaa-cref link as well, but that's why I decided to type out all of the options.

I'm going to read the research, as I just read the one you provided link for, but to be honest, I really don't understand what any of this stuff means...
Old 11-25-2014, 06:28 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by target2019 View Post
Many of the selections in your lineup can be researched. You should take the time to read some of the research. For example, TIAA-CREF S&P 500 Index Fund (Retirement) TRSPX:

https://www1.tiaa-cref.org/public/tc...?symbol=306105

That page tells me important details, such as the fund expenses and ticker. I can compare the results to lower-cost funds like Vanguard.

Also, be aware that your plan may charge other fees. I would find the broadest indexes and start with a few.
These schools/teacher/university/state plans usually have an administrative fee around 0.25% on top of any fund expenses. TIAA-CREF retirement index fund fees tend to be from 0.3% to 0.5%.

Old 11-25-2014, 06:32 AM   #18

Quote:
I'm sorry target2019. I didn't realize the link for investment news required a login. I googled it and the website came up for me. I copied the link and thought it would automatically open up. Sorry about the tiaa-cref link as well, but that's why I decided to type out all of the options.

I'm going to read the research, as I just read the one you provided link for, but to be honest, I really don't understand what any of this stuff means...
Concentrate on funds that are broad indexes....they usually have "index" in the name. Don't get bogged down in too much research and reading very quickly you won't "see the wood for the trees". Because these funds just track an index like the S&P500 they all have very similar performance so all you have to do is choose one with low fees....that's the expense ratio.

Old 11-25-2014, 06:39 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Here's a link to all the TIAA-CREF funds:
https://www1.tiaa-cref.org/public/tcfpi/investresearch

That should help the discussion.

You mentioned a target date fund, and it looks like a pretty hefty expense ratio on those. You can do much better by setting your allocation and picking from the lowest cost index funds available.
Old 11-25-2014, 06:40 AM   #20
Dryer sheet wannabe

Thank you nun. Thank you all for your help. I'm going to take all of your advice.