Join Early Retirement Today

403b Bloat - Too much of a good thing
Old 11-28-2006, 07:06 PM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

403b Bloat - Too much of a good thing

I recently received a bonus payment as part of a productivity plan (basically, we busted our butts and are getting reimbursed for income that was ours right along, but that's another story). As a result, my normal 10.43% withhold for our TIAA-CREF 403b contribution was applied to that unexpected payment, as it is to all my paychecks. That amount would have been right if no bonus was paid.

Problem is, coming this late in the year, it put me over the contribution limit of $44,000 for the year. I immediately cancelled payroll deduction contributions through the end of the year but despite that will probably be about $2500 over.

I am checking into it at work but they appear befuddled. TIAA will call me back tomorrow. So, what happens? Can TIAA-CREF refund my employer who then passes it along to me less taxes, etc.? Will I have to pay an IRS penalty, or can I squirm out of it before 12/31?

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: 403b Bloat - Too much of a good thing
Old 11-28-2006, 07:38 PM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

How about this?

http://www.irs.gov/publications/p571/ch07.html#d0e2929

- Ron

Old 11-28-2006, 07:39 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

If you can get it out before year-end, I think that will simplify your W2 etc.

Otherwise, it will probably get kicked out in 2007 before April 15th. You should make sure it is included in your 2006 wages reported on your Form 1040 even if kicked out next year in 2007. If it comes out in 2007, you will get a 1099R for it with a code showing it should be included on your 2006 taxes. That 1099R may come in Feb2008. So if you didn't include it on your tax return in 2006, you will have to file an amended return.

Don't ask me how I know all this.
Old 11-28-2006, 08:37 PM   #4
Full time employment: Posting here.

Rich_in_Tampa, have you maxed the 15 year rule? If you haven't, and you have been with your employer for 15 years, you may not need to do anything. It would add $3,000 to the max.

I've been retired almost three years and have not kept up with 403(b) changes in the past 3 years, but the 15 year rule is sometimes overlooked.
Old 11-28-2006, 09:03 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron'Da
Very helpful, thanks.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote