Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

403b Transfer to Vanguard Wellesley
Old 12-15-2015, 08:31 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

403b Transfer to Vanguard Wellesley

Good Morning All -

My wife is retiring and has a 403b plan that at the end of the year will be transferring to Transamerica. At this point we will not be making anymore contributions.

I thought this would be a good time to start consolidating our investments to Vanguard. We are looking at Vanguard Wellesley cause the asset allocation matches very well with our strategy.

Her current 403b has made distributions and will be transferring to Transamerica 31 Dec 15. Vanguard Wellesley of which we are interested has not yet made distributions.

My question is if I start the transfer now before Wellesley distribution am I making a big tax mistake. It will need a few days to make the transfer happen so if wait too long for the Wellesley distribution to happen the funds may end up going to Transamerica first and then to Wellesley. I know that if we buy into Wellesly before distribution we pick up the capital gains tax impact.

I am just a bit confused on tax implications. Capital gains, cost basis, ...

Appreciate your thoughts.

Thanks much.

kannon
kannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-15-2015, 08:43 AM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kannon View Post
My wife is retiring and has a 403b plan that at the end of the year will be transferring to Transamerica. At this point we will not be making anymore contributions.

Her current 403b has made distributions and will be transferring to Transamerica 31 Dec 15. Vanguard Wellesley of which we are interested has not yet made distributions.

I am just a bit confused on tax implications. Capital gains, cost basis, ...
There should be no tax implications in a 403b until you start taking distributions so as long as you just do a rollover of the full amount to a traditional IRA, there should be no issue. As for cost basis, your only cost basis as far as I know is any after tax contributions made to the 403b. Otherwise, it's all treated as ordinary income, as far as I'm aware.
hnzw_rui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 09:01 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

What happens inside the plan generally has no tax consequences. When you withdraw, that $ amount impacts your taxes.
target2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 09:08 AM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

Thanks. Still learning here.

Understand now no tax implications and yes we are doing a full rollover to an tIRA, was just wondering in seven years when we start pulling out the funds would we have been better off waiting for after the distributions to move wife's 403b.

I thought when fund makes distributions in dividends/capital gains the mutual fund share price is impacted (i.e., reduced). So if we transfer today we could have less shares at a higher share price (impacts cost basis??) or if we wait could have more shares at a lower share price (lower cost basis??) but with dividends/capital gains to deal with eventually.

Maybe seven years from now it doesn't matter. This make any sense??
kannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 09:13 AM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Can't say what would be better in 7 years.

I would get the distributions, change to cash or similar. Then start transfer. I would know what I had before it arrived at Vanguard.
target2019 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
403b, transfer