Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

43% of 1Q 2014 home buyers paid cash
Old 05-08-2014, 06:50 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

43% of 1Q 2014 home buyers paid cash

I was surprised by this statistic. Far more all-cash home purchases going on than I would have thought:

Quote:
All-cash purchases accounted for almost 43% of all sales of residential property in the first quarter of 2014, up from almost 38% in the previous quarter and 19% in the first quarter of 2013...
Quote:
So who does have the money to buy a home outright? Wealthy Americans and downsizing empty nesters make some of these all-cash deals, he says. Investors who are eager to make a profit by buying low and renting those properties — or flipping them — also drive up the number of all-cash deals...
No surprises on the top all cash markets:

Quote:
The top five markets for cash sales were in Florida, which experienced one of the biggest property crashes after the 2008 recession: Cape Coral-Fort Myers (74%), Miami (67%), Sarasota (65%), Palm Bay (64%), and Lakeland (62%). Other major metro areas where over half of all property sales were done in cash included New York (57%), Columbia, S.C., (56%), Memphis, Tenn. (55%), Detroit, Mich. (53%), Atlanta (53%) and Las Vegas (52%).
43% of 2014 home buyers paid all cash - MarketWatch
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-08-2014, 07:58 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Yep,,we bought our investment house in 2011 and our downsized "retirement" house in 2013 with cash.

One thing a cash purchase does is it makes the closing with the escrow company go very quickly. The other thing it does is carve out the aggravation of having to deal with a lender.
aja8888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 08:28 AM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
One thing a cash purchase does is it makes the closing with the escrow company go very quickly. The other thing it does is carve out the aggravation of having to deal with a lender.

Yes, getting rid of those two headaches is very nice.

Interesting statistics. I'm surprised that the percentage was that high.
WannabeRetired is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 08:53 AM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Paid cash for a house last week so guess I'll be in the second quarter numbers. Will pay cash for the remodel as well. That should be it for me...other than selling the other two houses we own.

No more mortgages!
Old 05-08-2014, 10:17 AM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

Wow....43% really surprises me. I would expect to see results like that from this forum especially those in downsizing mode but not for the rest of the population. According to the link below the average American family has $3800 in savings and $35000 saved for retirement. I guess the average American family wasn't purchasing a house during Q1 as they surely would not have been paying cash (IMO).

http://www.statisticbrain.com/americ...al-statistics/
Pleeplus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 10:57 AM   #6
Full time employment: Posting here.

The cash percentage may be skewed a little by people taking out 1st or 2nd mortgages on an existing property that they own outright or mostly paid up. I know two people who did that, one took out a mortgage on their home to buy a rental property cash. It was faster and cheaper for them to do it that way and they got a better price on the property they were buying.
Old 05-08-2014, 11:54 AM   #7

I know the details of two real estate transactions that closed in the past few weeks - both all cash.
The first was someone relocating back to San Diego to care of an aging parent. The buyer was limited in price because she was over 55 and wanted to transfer her prop 13 tax rate from her previous house - which you can do if you're "downsizing" - she sold her previous house - and couldn't spend a penny extra. She paid all the closing costs of the seller to get it at the price that qualified. (She was offering under market.) Doing it all cash allowed her have an easy close and let the seller feel comfortable with the transaction.

The other was an estate sale - investors paid 999,999 for a tear down in a coastal community. Paying cash got it past the probate court easier than if the transaction had gone through financing.

Both deals closed in less than two weeks from accepted offer.
rodi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 01:08 PM   #8

A Chinese-American friend of mine asserts that rich people in China are buying up real estate in US, always with cash (illegally moved out of China). Some of them don't even check out their new RE in person andy buy by checking things on-line.
robnplunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 01:13 PM   #9

We are looking to buy for cash. Even so far as to be making renovations paying cash
zedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 01:35 PM   #10
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Many cash buyers are not looking or a home, they are seeking rentals. And a good number of these in coastal communities anyway are foreign, trying to get some of their money offshore.

Ha
Old 05-08-2014, 01:45 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

I was surprised at how many cash offers there were in an expensive market like San Francisco. I just don't feel like freeing up $1M in capital just to compete for a 1-bedroom condo. We are pretty much priced out at this point.
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 01:50 PM   #12

Last flip I did was cash buy and cash sell .... did carry paper on 1/3 of the price. But no banks involved. Had 3 full price offers fail to get approved by the stingy banks. The bankers don't realize the problems they create!
Old 05-08-2014, 02:13 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tryan View Post
Last flip I did was cash buy and cash sell .... did carry paper on 1/3 of the price. But no banks involved. Had 3 full price offers fail to get approved by the stingy banks. The bankers don't realize the problems they create!
I would say that they see these as someone else's problems, and don't care. Very hard to imagine that a banker who is still breathing would not realize something this fundamental.

Ha
Old 05-08-2014, 02:20 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREd View Post
I was surprised at how many cash offers there were in an expensive market like San Francisco.
Likely, money from China ...
Old 05-08-2014, 02:35 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by robnplunder View Post
Likely, money from China ...
Makes sense. We buy their t-shirts and they buy our debt and realestate. Very wise.
zedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 02:39 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by zedd View Post
Makes sense. We buy their t-shirts and they buy our debt and realestate. Very wise.
Yeah, I am not going to worry about US-China trade deficit as long as $ is flowing into US. However, it does create house bubble and we all know how the last one ended.
Old 05-08-2014, 02:42 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Hedge funds have been big buyers as well.

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 03:32 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

We wound up selling our last house to an investor group for cash a month ago. It was a lower offer than we might have had otherwise, but we had one offer fall through because of a survey discrepancy and anyone who needed financing would require us to tear down or massively redesign the garage at our (considerable) expense. And we closed in about 10 days. Who knows how much longer it would have taken to get another "market" offer, and then deal with financing, demands to repair stuff and help with closing costs, not to mention about $400 a month in lost cash flow to taxes, insurance and utilities while it stayed on the market.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 08:33 AM   #19

Quote:
Very hard to imagine that a banker who is still breathing would not realize something this fundamental.
Agree .... to make matters worse ... all three rejected buyers were first time home buyers. Not a good sign ... the banks can't get out of thier own way.
Old 05-09-2014, 08:47 AM   #20

It's not the banks as much as it is Freddie and Fannie, the buyers of 90 percent of mortgages today. If the bank doesn't follow their rules, the bank gets the loan back.
Another Reader is online now   Reply With Quote