Join Early Retirement Today

457 rules
Old 01-26-2016, 10:45 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

457 rules

I currently have money in a 457. I am wondering when I retire with the city I work for can I move money out of the company my employer has chosen for me and still maintain a 457 status?

In other words, I have money in a 457 because I work for a municipality, that money is with ICMARC. When I retire can a move that money to another company, say Vanguard and have it still be a 457? Or am I stuck with ICMARC, cause their funds suck pretty badly and I would like to transfer my money to a better company with more investing choices but dont want to lost my 457 status.

Any thoughts would be appreciated
rocks911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-26-2016, 10:51 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Don't know about another 457 but you certainly can move it into an IRA, which I did upon leaving both the municipalities I had worked for. Roll it over and not withholding as long as move it directly to the IRA.
H2ODude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 10:55 AM   #3

I don't know what the "457 status" entails, but I'm assuming it is a similar situation to rolling over a 401k to an IRA. No problem doing that, but they are now IRAs and no longer retain any "perks" from the previous setup.
euro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 10:56 AM   #4
Full time employment: Posting here.

Nope. You can rollover the funds to Vanguard but it will be a rollover IRA so you would be subject to pre-59.5 early withdrawal penalty.

Does your plan allow doing a partial rollover? Keep funds you need from when you retire to 59.5 in your current 457 and then move the rest to Vanguard?
hnzw_rui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 10:59 AM   #5

should have added: see recent discussion on rolling over 401k vs leaving it with the company
http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...ml#post1687873
euro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 10:59 AM   #6

My DW has one of those, also with ICMARC. I only know what I researched and what DW's retirement agent told her. You can move the money, but the funds then take on the distribution limitations of the receiving plan. So the 457 is non-qualified, and if you move it to a qualified plan, the money loses the non-qualified status. This may make a difference for you if you are under 59 1/2. Here is a document I've been reading http://www.aon.com/attachments/human..._Schwallie.pdf

"We live the lives we lead because of the thoughts we think" ...Michael O’Neill
"We can cannot compel others to do our will" ....Norman Goldman
"There never is shortage of the gullible to accept the illogical"...Anonymous
timo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 01:47 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnzw_rui View Post
Nope. You can rollover the funds to Vanguard but it will be a rollover IRA so you would be subject to pre-59.5 early withdrawal penalty.

Does your plan allow doing a partial rollover? Keep funds you need from when you retire to 59.5 in your current 457 and then move the rest to Vanguard?
Yea, thats what I thought. I guess one of the major designs of the 457 plan was to keep one forever tied to funds that run the gamut from extremely mediocre to incredibly crappy.
Old 01-26-2016, 01:57 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocks911 View Post
Yea, thats what I thought. I guess one of the major designs of the 457 plan was to keep one forever tied to funds that run the gamut from extremely mediocre to incredibly crappy.
Yes, DW's selection of funds in ICMARC are really poor. Here employer is moving their 457 plans over to empower (great west) this month, so that should be better.

"We live the lives we lead because of the thoughts we think" ...Michael O’Neill
"We can cannot compel others to do our will" ....Norman Goldman
"There never is shortage of the gullible to accept the illogical"...Anonymous
timo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 02:31 PM   #9

I have one too and I elected to take a lump-sum distribution at the time of separation of service. I wonder if that means they will liquidate and give me cash? That wouldn't be good if the market's down at that time (whenever that time is).
dvalley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 03:05 PM   #10
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocks911 View Post
I'm actually okay with our govt 457b plan (TPA: Empower/Great West).

We have "core" plan options (best choice there is the Large-Cap fund which is basically Vanguard S&P 500 Index Institutional Plus @ 0.02% ER) but there's also an option for self-directed brokerage (with Schwab) which lets me invest in thousands of stocks, ETFs, mutual funds, etc.

Of course, being the lazy person that I am, I just have everything in Vanguard Target 2040 VFORX. Plan on doing an in-kind transfer/rollover to Vanguard once I turn 60.
hnzw_rui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 03:29 PM   #11

If you roll 457 money into an IRA you then have to follow IRA rules....so you lose the ability to do penalty free withdrawals before age 59.5.
I'm leaving my 457 money where it is as the funds are good with low fees and the penalty free access prior to 59.5 is useful.

Current AA: 75% Equity Funds / 15% Bonds / 5% Stable Value /2% Cash / 3% TIAA Traditional
Retired Mar 2014 at age 52, target WR: 0.0%,
Income from pension and rent
nun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 06:17 PM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnzw_rui View Post
I'm actually okay with our govt 457b plan (TPA: Empower/Great West).

We have "core" plan options (best choice there is the Large-Cap fund which is basically Vanguard S&P 500 Index Institutional Plus @ 0.02% ER) but there's also an option for self-directed brokerage (with Schwab) which lets me invest in thousands of stocks, ETFs, mutual funds, etc.
Im pretty sure the administrators at the city I worked for got a sweet deal of their own to sell us unwashed masses the bag of dog poop that is ICMARC.