5 Lessons from the "rich"

We're

15% House
0% Cars (they'll be driven to the dump in 5 or 10 years ;))

Home 25% (paid off)
Cars ~.5%

If I add the NPV of my pension into the mix the percentages drop by about 1/3.

home 54% (paid off)
car 2.4% (also paid off)

These percentages will shrink, of course, as my net worth grows.... :)

21-22% housing (paid for)
.014% vehicles

A moderate house of 19 years in CA.

18% in the house (a little over a third of the house's resale value is mortgaged) due mostly to Hawaii's ridiculous runup. If we valued the house at what we paid for it then the percentage would only be 2.6%.

0% in the cars-- unless we're talking "breakup value", any gas in the tanks, and any stray coins under the seat cushions...

I don't want to be a party pooper (OK, I really do), but I hope that many of you realize that you may be indirectly disclosing your net worth. For example, if you have previously posted what the value of your home or car is, it's a straight-forward calculation to get your net worth from your post in this thread.

Residence (paid for) 17.00%
Other Real Estate (paid for) 10.10%
3 Vehicles (paid for) 0.44%

wab said:
I don't want to be a party pooper (OK, I really do), but I hope that many of you realize that you may be indirectly disclosing your net worth. For example, if you have previously posted what the value of your home or car is, it's a straight-forward calculation to get your net worth from your post in this thread.

A ne'er do well-er aggregating this info might either hit it rich.... or find that the reason we are so low on auto expenses is that we all spend extra to belong to the gun and karate clubs in our areas... :LOL:

DRiP Guy said:
A ne'er do well-er aggregating this info might either hit it rich.... or find that the reason we are so low on auto expenses is that we all spend extra to belong to the gun and karate clubs in our areas... :LOL:

I don't think there's any particular risk, but sometimes I feel like I'm watching a parade of people strutting down the street in their underwear. Look, there goes the Porsche-driving Millionaire Mensa-member dude in his boxers! :)

Personally, I enjoy it. I just don't particularly understand it. Carry on!

Nords said:
18% in the house (a little over a third of the house's resale value is mortgaged) due mostly to Hawaii's ridiculous runup. If we valued the house at what we paid for it then the percentage would only be 2.6%.

0% in the cars-- unless we're talking "breakup value", any gas in the tanks, and any stray coins under the seat cushions...

Nords: With a net worth of $4,000,000 or so, health insurance covered, I think you can afford to buy a couple of new cars. :D

wab said:
... I'm watching a parade of people strutting down the street in their underwear. Look, there goes the Porsche-driving Millionaire Mensa-member dude in his boxers! :)

Personally, I enjoy it. I just don't particularly understand it. Carry on!

:eek:

( :LOL: )

wab said:

It all depends on how you value your home, cars and NW. Nords has a zero value on his cars while others might have just purchased a new one. Same goes for house value...depends on if you report actual cost less mortgage, current estimated sales price with or without mortgage, or price paid.

NW value has been the subject of many threads here and we still can't agree on the "rules" for calculating it. If someone wants to spend days going through the history of posts on the site then let them knock themselves out. I am sure they will shoot themselves in the head long before they get through the pile of s*it and find the pony.

Besides...who says we are telling the truth?
We all look like millionaires on the web.

And did Nords capitalize the value of his military pension in his NW calculation? Hmmm... another mystery...

Back
Top Bottom