Join Early Retirement Today

Re: 5 Lessons from the "rich"
Old 03-19-2007, 01:11 PM   #41
Moderator Emeritus

18% in the house (a little over a third of the house's resale value is mortgaged) due mostly to Hawaii's ridiculous runup. If we valued the house at what we paid for it then the percentage would only be 2.6%.

0% in the cars-- unless we're talking "breakup value", any gas in the tanks, and any stray coins under the seat cushions...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-19-2007, 01:21 PM   #42
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I don't want to be a party pooper (OK, I really do), but I hope that many of you realize that you may be indirectly disclosing your net worth. For example, if you have previously posted what the value of your home or car is, it's a straight-forward calculation to get your net worth from your post in this thread.

Old 03-19-2007, 01:53 PM   #43
Recycles dryer sheets

Residence (paid for) 17.00%
Other Real Estate (paid for) 10.10%
3 Vehicles (paid for) 0.44%
Old 03-19-2007, 03:53 PM   #44
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wab
I don't want to be a party pooper (OK, I really do), but I hope that many of you realize that you may be indirectly disclosing your net worth. For example, if you have previously posted what the value of your home or car is, it's a straight-forward calculation to get your net worth from your post in this thread.
A ne'er do well-er aggregating this info might either hit it rich.... or find that the reason we are so low on auto expenses is that we all spend extra to belong to the gun and karate clubs in our areas...
Old 03-19-2007, 04:02 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRiP Guy
A ne'er do well-er aggregating this info might either hit it rich.... or find that the reason we are so low on auto expenses is that we all spend extra to belong to the gun and karate clubs in our areas...
I don't think there's any particular risk, but sometimes I feel like I'm watching a parade of people strutting down the street in their underwear. Look, there goes the Porsche-driving Millionaire Mensa-member dude in his boxers!

Personally, I enjoy it. I just don't particularly understand it. Carry on!
Old 03-19-2007, 04:09 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords
18% in the house (a little over a third of the house's resale value is mortgaged) due mostly to Hawaii's ridiculous runup. If we valued the house at what we paid for it then the percentage would only be 2.6%.

0% in the cars-- unless we're talking "breakup value", any gas in the tanks, and any stray coins under the seat cushions...
Nords: With a net worth of $4,000,000 or so, health insurance covered, I think you can afford to buy a couple of new cars.
Old 03-19-2007, 04:16 PM   #47
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wab

... I'm watching a parade of people strutting down the street in their underwear. Look, there goes the Porsche-driving Millionaire Mensa-member dude in his boxers!

( )
Old 03-19-2007, 04:38 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by wab
It all depends on how you value your home, cars and NW. Nords has a zero value on his cars while others might have just purchased a new one. Same goes for house value...depends on if you report actual cost less mortgage, current estimated sales price with or without mortgage, or price paid.

NW value has been the subject of many threads here and we still can't agree on the "rules" for calculating it. If someone wants to spend days going through the history of posts on the site then let them knock themselves out. I am sure they will shoot themselves in the head long before they get through the pile of s*it and find the pony.

Besides...who says we are telling the truth?
We all look like millionaires on the web.
Old 03-19-2007, 04:44 PM   #49

And did Nords capitalize the value of his military pension in his NW calculation? Hmmm... another mystery...
Old 03-19-2007, 05:13 PM   #50
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I'm not wearing any underwear.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 05:26 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by wab
I don't want to be a party pooper (OK, I really do), but I hope that many of you realize that you may be indirectly disclosing your net worth.
No one has disclosed name, address, SS #, DOB. What harm can this do?
Old 03-19-2007, 05:36 PM   #52
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam
What harm can this do?
None.
Old 03-19-2007, 06:04 PM   #53

NW 2.1m ... home equity 309k (15%). Excludes present value of a small pension and SS.

(I am wearing underwear ... if nobody believes me; I don't care )
Old 03-19-2007, 09:39 PM   #54
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by wab
Geez, Wab, make up your mind.

We're all spewing garbage data to each other, or we're totally truthful, or we're not realistic about our home values, or we haven't properly accounted for taxes on their sale, or we can't even agree on the calculation of net worth, and many of us can't do math. So which is it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wab
Look, there goes the Porsche-driving Millionaire Mensa-member dude in his boxers!
I think he has a light bulb stuffed down there... and not a compact fluorescent, either...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarhead*
Nords: With a net worth of $4,000,000 or so, health insurance covered, I think you can afford to buy a couple of new cars.
Yeah, we could easily catch the CFB & C-T syndrome, but who has the time?

The Taurus (13 years old, 105K miles) is making this funny clunking noise when the steering is amidships, it has a heckuva wobble resonance at 23 MPH & 46 MPH, and it's probably more than a rotate/balance... maybe a wheel bearing or even a step up to a steering box. And the Altima (10 years old, 96K miles) has been salvage value ever since it piled up on that guardrail a couple years ago, even though it's perfectly driveable. Of course it does have that funny speed-dependent whiny noise when it's at idle.

But we're on Day 14 of getting the rental ready, the tropical jungle yard is almost whipped back into shape, the carpet guys are coming tomorrow, the new ceiling and the new sheet vinyl look great, and we're probably on or slightly ahead of schedule. The new tenants say their check is in the mail and their plane lands on the 31st. This is probably going to work out OK, so Trombone Al and I are going to surf Queen's Beach on Thursday.

Next month, as soon as we get the Taurus in the shop and finish the tax returns, spouse and I can sit back and talk about a Prius PHEV... maybe replace one or both cars... would it be too obsessive/compulsive to have TWO Priuses? ("Prii"?) Nah, maybe she should get to choose her own ride with her big Reserve bucks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by justin
And did Nords capitalize the value of his military pension in his NW calculation? Hmmm... another mystery...
Gosh, what would we use to benchmark a govt pension with a COLA? TIPS? I bonds? Some other 30-year bonds?

Don't get me started on the taxes on the unrealized cap gains, either. Fidelity just sent out their 1099-corrected (at least I didn't get started before they sent it out) and I'm still trying to figure out why a portion of EGLE's payouts is now considered a "nondividend distribution". I'm not complaining, that investment has almost paid for itself, but I'd hate to get another 1099 the day after we file the returns. Any of you other EGLE investors having the same correction?

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 09:41 PM   #55
Give me a forum ...

Heyyy...we drove old expeditions and rav4's before we went nutty on new cars. And I swear my 2 year old is going to learn to drive in that lexus.

I'm now wearing underwear. Just so everybody feels a bit better.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 07:49 AM   #56
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cute Fuzzy Bunny
I'm now wearing underwear.
The mother of all brassieres...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 08:45 AM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam
No one has disclosed name, address, SS #, DOB. What harm can this do?
Hmmm, ...... harm to the egos of those who have less NW?
Old 03-20-2007, 09:43 AM   #58
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveR
We all look like millionaires on the web.
I don't even look like a millionaire on the web! Agh, woe is me. But I am planning to retire in three years, and so far, everything is turning out exactly as planned, or better.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 10:46 AM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanky
Hmmm, ...... harm to the egos of those who have less NW?
Definitely not my ego. But I see your point. Well put!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire
I don't even look like a millionaire on the web! Agh, woe is me. But I am planning to retire in three years, and so far, everything is turning out exactly as planned, or better.
Me neither. Not everyone needs to be a millionaire in order to retire.
Old 03-20-2007, 11:14 AM   #60
Administrator

I'm a millionaire . . . if you count in Yen.