Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-07-2011, 06:28 AM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by old woman View Post
My reason for not retiring early is I am too old.
By far, the best excuse I've ever seen for delaying ER...

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-07-2011, 06:49 AM   #42
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Love it.

Old 12-07-2011, 03:35 PM   #43
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Thinker 25 said : The first 18 months of retirement didn't go as planned. I lost a finger in January 2011 by catching my ring on something - on a cruise. The time since then has been mostly spent resting and recovering. It's immensely stressful and I can't imagine how I could have worked during this time. It is mostly healed.

Thinker that is just horrible, Im so sorry! Especially on a cruise. Fate and luck sometimes turn on a slight fraction of an inch. My wife at the time caught her ring on a ski boat diving out into the water, swung her around smacked her into the boat and bent the ring to hell, but she came out unscathed somehow. I dont wear jewerly and found a good reason not to.
Old 12-07-2011, 04:58 PM   #44

Quote:
I thought it was fantastic, too!
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 05:48 PM   #45
Recycles dryer sheets

I can tell you this.
I have never had as much advise in my life since I mentioned to friends that I plan on retiring soon. Most say it is the best thing they ever did. I had a person tell me today that I would be bored to death, this person does not work and he just told me last week he would never go back. My big boss asked me had I planned retirement. I told him I never planned going to work. People who work with me are in panic because they will finally have to start doing things themselves
It is amazing all the free advice I have been getting and I had to pay nothing for it
Old 12-07-2011, 06:15 PM   #46

Quote:
The five reasons:

1. I don't do poor
2. I don't count on Social Security
3. I would be bored
4. Work provides a social outlet
5. It will keep me in shape
1. Really means, I didn't save enough money.

2. Really means, SS even if I get it will not be enough to make up for #1.

3,4,5 Are rationalizations as a result of 1 & 2.
Old 12-07-2011, 09:35 PM   #47
Full time employment: Posting here.

Next article in 10 or 20 years to read:
Five reasons why I regret not retiring while I could enjoy my life.
Old 12-07-2011, 10:22 PM   #48
Confused about dryer sheets

Unbelievable perspective

After giving your employer(s) the majority of your lifes time and enegy why would you intentionally plan on extending it? I know of no employer who has grave stones as a benefit!
Old 12-07-2011, 11:44 PM   #49
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
The five reasons:

1. I don't do poor
2. I don't count on Social Security
3. I would be bored
4. Work provides a social outlet
5. It will keep me in shape

Of course he left off the real number one reason: I lack the self-discipline to delay gratification and am in debt up to my eyeballs.
3. Why do so many people assume that you only use your brain at work? If you are doing your own thing [without pay] your brain shuts down?

4. Why do people think you only get social contact through work? Is there really no other way to have meaningful contact with other people?

5. So many jobs are very sedentary. And I always found the time demands and commuting for work severely interfered with my ability to get enough exercise.

But basically, as we've said so many times on this forum, to use your brain, develop and maintain friendships, and be physically active outside of work actually requires individual initiative without someone looking over your shoulder and telling you what to do, or telling you what your goals are.

So what I hear, when I (so often) read something like this, is that the writer/speaker basically has no confidence in their own individual initiative.

And maybe that is somehow related to being told what to do or what goals to strive for most of their adult lives?

Of course there is also the real issue that if your life is full of work, getting the basic daily chores done and maybe also raising a family, you might have forgotten that you ever had any personal interests outside of work. So when you contemplate work disappearing, you just see this huge void. Yes, I did know a lot of people who just couldn't see past their current busy situation, before I retired.

Independence can be intimidating.

Audrey
Old 12-08-2011, 06:46 AM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
3. Why do so many people assume that you only use your brain at work? If you are doing your own thing [without pay] your brain shuts down?

4. Why do people think you only get social contact through work? Is there really no other way to have meaningful contact with other people?

5. So many jobs are very sedentary. And I always found the time demands and commuting for work severely interfered with my ability to get enough exercise.

But basically, as we've said so many times on this forum, to use your brain, develop and maintain friendships, and be physically active outside of work actually requires individual initiative without someone looking over your shoulder and telling you what to do, or telling you what your goals are.

So what I hear, when I (so often) read something like this, is that the writer/speaker basically has no confidence in their own individual initiative.

And maybe that is somehow related to being told what to do or what goals to strive for most of their adult lives?

Of course there is also the real issue that if your life is full of work, getting the basic daily chores done and maybe also raising a family, you might have forgotten that you ever had any personal interests outside of work. So when you contemplate work disappearing, you just see this huge void. Yes, I did know a lot of people who just couldn't see past their current busy situation, before I retired.

Audrey
Hey Audrey!

Regarding 3, 4 & 5, I ask myself if the writers are reflecting their own view of life and work and have not successfully separated the two. I fully agree with your closing line, that might explain why some of us enjoy and appreciate early retirement so much.
Old 12-08-2011, 08:00 AM   #51
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Hey Audrey!

Regarding 3, 4 & 5, I ask myself if the writers are reflecting their own view of life and work and have not successfully separated the two. I fully agree with your closing line, that might explain why some of us enjoy and appreciate early retirement so much.
Yes, that is what I tend to conclude - about the writers really sharing their own perspective, and especially the part of not being able to separate life and work. We all know how strongly one's identity can get wrapped up in ones work role and/or money earning ability.

And just like those who ask amazedly "Whaddya do all day?!?", I also felt these perpectives revealed a severe lack of imagination. Probably induced by working too much LOL! 'Cause it just really doesn't take that much to get going on imagining life beyond work.

Audrey
Old 12-08-2011, 08:16 AM   #52

From what I recall 3,4,& 5 were never a problem before I had to earn a living so in a few more months I plan on going back to those "good 'ol days".

Cheers!
Old 12-08-2011, 08:52 AM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koogie View Post
5 Reasons I'm not Retiring Early -
1. "because I am such a moron I can only write substandard articles for Yahoo"
That's a pretty cheap shot.

How many articles have YOU published on mainstream outlets?
Old 12-08-2011, 12:58 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanky View Post
I definitely share your sentiment. Having more time is more important than acquiring more money or wealth.
As an old partner of mine once told me about working long hours for the firm:

"You can bill your time, but you can never buy it back."
Old 12-08-2011, 01:17 PM   #55
Give me a forum ...

I believe Howard Hughes said "anybody who thinks time has little value needs to talk to a rich old man."
Old 12-08-2011, 01:30 PM   #56
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post

Audrey
Very well said. You have put my fears down in a nutshell. While I know I don't want to keep working, I'm deathly afraid that I will wind up as a clone of "Gilbert Grape's" mother. I base this on the fact that I seem to spend every weekend on the couch, watching endless (and mindless) TV shows and letting the housework pile up. "Individual initiative" seems to be lacking.

To counteract it, my plan is to leave home for 6 months the day after I retire.

Contemplating independence is very intimidating.
Old 12-08-2011, 01:33 PM   #57
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuiloa View Post

Contemplating independence is very intimidating exhilarating.
Corrected your typo...

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 04:43 PM   #58
Confused about dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by heirloom View Post
There are a lot of people who end up going back to work because they get bored staying at home. Usually these are people with no hobbies or interests. OR, sometimes they go back as temporary helpers making more than they did when they worked.

But I'm glad some people think this way because that is more money that I can rely on that will go towards FICA. It's getting scary out there because the gov. is thinking of cutting taxes more, which will contribute less into the SS fund.
Social Security is (going?) broke so the politicians' answer is to cut employee tax by two percentage points What's up with that? Vote buying at it's best!
Old 12-08-2011, 04:48 PM   #59
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Corrected your typo...
Thanks.... must have been a slip of the finger
Old 12-08-2011, 08:28 PM   #60

I don't have intititive so need a schedule of some kind or my days just are doing nothing.

My grand plan is to take a job at a health club working opening for a couple of hours. This gets me up dressed and out of the house. I wind up in a health club around 7AM with the entire day ahead of me. I will probably work out then take a morning aqua aerobics class and enjoy the sauna, shower and change then on the road around 10AM fully awake with most of the day left. They don't pay much so if I wasn't happy it would be easy to quit.

If that doesn't work I might take a class a couple of days a week maybe aerobics if I find one I like.

Today was a bad day at work, coworker irked me, I complained to everyone. They are going to talk to her tomorrow again. I told the boss I would hate to see good people leave over her. I am really tempted to be the one to leave to prove she needs fired. I have suggested firing her a few times before but she doesn't have witness to write up her faults. Tomorrow they are going to talk to the other people who don't want her her and I hope start writing up the issues so they can fire her. I believe we don't need a reason but they say we can't fire without three write ups first.

Maybe 63 isn't too old to early retire but I would like to last longer than her so I can see her fired.