Join Early Retirement Today

50% VG Wellesley 50% VG Star & Get on with ER
Old 09-05-2006, 10:04 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

50% VG Wellesley 50% VG Star & Get on with ER

Well I have about burnt myself out on all the asset allocation and slice and dice portfolio scenarios and SWR calculations. In the end we all just need to place our bets.I am about to just split my early retirement portfolio 50/50 between Vanguard Wellseley and Vanguard Star. Then set the ER date for 2 years from now (age 51) and get on with life. No pension.

If anyone has an opinion on why this is not going to be a credible plan for 4% SWR during retirement, please let me know now.

Thanks,

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: 50% VG Wellesley 50% VG Star & Get on with ER
Old 09-05-2006, 10:09 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

No. Simplicity is great. I read somewhere in the Diehard forum that someone actually compares return among various portfolios, i.e., 100% Wellington, sliced and diced, Coffee House, etc. The 100% Wellington did quite well in comparsion with the others.

Old 09-05-2006, 10:23 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

I don't see any problem. In addition to having 2-3 years expenses in cash, I also chose a simplified approach with three primary funds: Vanguard Wellesley, D&C Balanced, and D&C International. Very similar to what you are proposing.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 12:29 AM   #4

I like it, my wife's IRA will look something like 60% Wellesley 40% Star when the final transfers from her 403b are complete. The only other issue is we have a decent cash buffer in a credit union account. So I would add some kind of cash source to your two funds to round things out.
Old 09-06-2006, 01:05 AM   #5

Sounds good to me. I often read posts where someone publishes an asset allocation plan with about a dozen different asset classes and asks what posters think. I seldom respond, but usually I think it's naive and misguided. Once you get beyond 2 or 3 of the broadest asset classes, the correlations of the past are not likely to be indicative of the correlations of the future. Why add assets that would have worked over the past decade? And how do you rebalance a dozen asset classes? That has to be a nightmare.

The number of assets in an asset allocation plan is not indicative of financial sophistication. Simple works.
Old 09-06-2006, 08:39 AM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

I also opted for simple. I have 85 percent in Vanguard Target 2015, 5 percent in MM Prime and 5 percent in Wellesley. My stress level has been lowered significantly.

setab
Old 09-06-2006, 09:04 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by setab
I also opted for simple. I have 85 percent in Vanguard Target 2015, 5 percent in MM Prime and 5 percent in Wellesley. My stress level has been lowered significantly.
This might increase your stress level, but you have 5% unaccounted for in your allocation plans.
Old 09-06-2006, 09:10 AM   #8
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by justin
This might increase your stress level, but you have 5% unaccounted for in your allocation plans.
Wouldn't it decrease your stress level if you knew your portfolio was actually 5% higher than your numbers showed? Don't knock it until you've tried it!

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 09:14 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo!
Wouldn't it decrease your stress level if you knew your portfolio was actually 5% higher than your numbers showed? Don't knock it until you've tried it!
I was thinking of it in the opposite manner. If I had, say, $1,000,000, and I suddenly "lost" 5% of it ($50,000), my stress level might jump a little bit.
Old 09-06-2006, 09:44 AM   #10
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by justin
I was thinking of it in the opposite manner.* If I had, say, $1,000,000, and I suddenly "lost" 5% of it ($50,000), my stress level might jump a little bit.* *
Don't worry.........it showed up in my Fidelity account.*
Old 09-06-2006, 11:35 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Sounds like a good plan, Hydro. You're the guy who has to sleep at night with it, including the part where it might drop a couple percent in the next month or two. I don't think you'll have any sleep issues if it rises a few percent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgeeeee
Sounds good to me.* I often read posts where someone publishes an asset allocation plan with about a dozen different asset classes and asks what posters think.* I seldom respond, but usually I think it's naive and misguided.* Once you get beyond 2 or 3 of the broadest asset classes, the correlations of the past are not likely to be indicative of the correlations of the future.
When I see asset allocations with numbers like "3%" I wonder "Gee, where would you rebalance? 3.6%? 3.9%?" Why bother?

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 02:28 PM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords
Sounds like a good plan, Hydro. You're the guy who has to sleep at night with it, including the part where it might drop a couple percent in the next month or two. I don't think you'll have any sleep issues if it rises a few percent.
Thanks Nords. Sleep at night is important. I guess if I really wanted to be conservative I would leave the 200K I have in my previous employers 401K where I could invest in a guareteed fund paying 6.5% APR through the end of the year. Probably a fair chance that will be a better return in the near term then the VG funds, but then I would just be timing the market. I decided it is time to cut those strings and roll the funds to an IRA invested consistent with the rest of my portfolio and get on with life. I already have 2 years living expenses in CDs.
Old 09-08-2006, 11:57 PM   #13
Dryer sheet wannabe

You could do a lot worse... but when I entered this in Morningstar it showed your equity exposure would be almost 50% large-cap value with almost no small-cap exposure at all. IMO a retirement at age 51 would call for a more even exposure to the market. You could somewhat remedy this (and add almost no complexity) by investing 1/3 (instead of 1/2) in each of the funds you mentioned and dividing the remaining third between a total market index fund and a total market bond fund. You would still have the 50/50 allocation you seek and you would be more evenly invested in the market as a whole. In addition your fund expense would drop slightly as well.

Also... a 4% SWR is a little aggressive for such an ER. Between 3 to 3.5% would be a whole-lot safer long-term.

Good luck. By the way.. do you just hate your job or something? (ER at 51?)
Old 09-09-2006, 11:43 AM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by GolferAndy
By the way.. do you just hate your job or something? (ER at 51?)
Well, this is the "EARLY" retirement forum . . .
Old 09-09-2006, 05:57 PM   #15

Quote:
Simple works.
and might work better than a "sophisticated" portfolio where there is always the danger of shooting oneself in the foot.