Join Early Retirement Today

6 Events That Could Trigger Retirement
Old 11-13-2010, 07:40 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

6 Events That Could Trigger Retirement

Apologies if this was already posted...kinda confirms what I've read here over the years.

6 Events That Could Trigger Your Retirement - Planning to Retire (usnews.com)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Retrigger.jpg (27.9 KB, 96 views)

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-13-2010, 07:45 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Since you've already achieved the second most common reason, which other trigger(s) are you waiting on? Not the first I hope...

You know I have to ask...
Old 11-13-2010, 08:04 AM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Post wasn't meant to discuss my situation, but I think I want an entirely new career so I am just deciding whether to retire without something lined up OR line up something, "retire", and start the new career. I'd leaning toward the first, but the second is clearly less risky.

Old 11-13-2010, 08:20 AM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
Post wasn't meant to discuss my situation, but I think I want an entirely new career so I am just deciding whether to retire without something lined up OR line up something, "retire", and start the new career. I'd leaning toward the first, but the second is clearly less risky.
So instead of getting wrapped up in all these discussions of whether or not you should retire, concerns about running out of money, etc., you should maybe change your focus to a discussion how to accomplish a career change?

Not being critical here, just sayin'...

And maybe you've been doing this very thing and I'm the one stuck on the wrong subject.
Old 11-13-2010, 08:32 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Apologies if this was already posted...kinda confirms what I've read here over the years.

6 Events That Could Trigger Your Retirement - Planning to Retire (usnews.com)
It's sad that apparently only 19% of men and 10% of women retire because they are financially independent. I guess the rest never reach FI and are forced into retirement by other reasons listed such as health.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 01:33 PM   #6
Gone but not forgotten

So would severe burn out be considered a health problem ?
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 01:36 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

It's interesting that there are considered to be 10 events that would delay retirement, but only six that would trigger it...

Quote:
I think you should write a best-selling book called "Just One More Year!".

You could ask Rich_in_Tampa to star in the movie...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 02:51 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

It was only meant as a public service announcement for those who like graphs better than essays. Sheeeeeeeesh...

Old 11-13-2010, 05:41 PM   #9
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Reminds me of a poll on this board (one or two years ago?). The question was "What was the reason you left when you did?"

IIRC, most of the answers were something negative about the job. New boss, re-organization, new assignments, couldn't go through another year of budget crisis, laid-off and just couldn't find a reason to look for another job, etc.

Of course, our posters are younger retirees who were typically FI for some time before they decided to hang it up.
Independent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 07:17 PM   #10

These fit my situation pretty well. I looked into retirement this summer because of a threatened layoff. I decided to retire because I was financially able to do so. I am timing my retirement to my 55th birthday. And I am motivated to retire before I develop health problems.
martyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 12:57 AM   #11
Dryer sheet aficionado

I'm retiring because I can! And I always liked weekends better, so this way I'll have weekends all the time! WhooHoo!!
Skye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 01:13 AM   #12

If I get to choose, I'll go with option #2 (financial independence). The rest just don't have the same appeal.
Old 11-14-2010, 11:30 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skye View Post
I'm retiring because I can! And I always liked weekends better, so this way I'll have weekends all the time! WhooHoo!!
I like your attitude! Retirement is even better than weekends, because you don't have the work week looming over you on Sundays, spoiling half the day.

Old 11-14-2010, 12:16 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
I like your attitude! Retirement is even better than weekends, because you don't have the work week looming over you on Sundays, spoiling half the day.
Yes, that would be nice not having to think about work during the middle of the nights.
Old 11-14-2010, 12:18 PM   #15

Quote:
What kind of career are you thinking about?
Old 11-14-2010, 12:20 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanky View Post
Yes, that would be nice not having to think about work during the middle of the nights.
Believe me, it is. I have dreamed/nightmared about work only once or twice since I retired.

When I was working, I used to awaken thinking about work stuff in the middle of the night for a couple of hours sometimes. I would watch old re-runs on TV to try to stop thinking about it so I could get some sleep.

Old 11-14-2010, 01:01 PM   #17
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Quote:
Believe me, it is. I have dreamed/nightmared about work only once or twice since I retired.

When I was working, I used to awaken thinking about work stuff in the middle of the night for a couple of hours sometimes. I would watch old re-runs on TV to try to stop thinking about it so I could get some sleep.
I did that too.
Amused my SO of the time that I would sit up in bed at some ridiculous hour with a response to a software problem.
Old 11-14-2010, 02:18 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanky View Post
What kind of career are you thinking about?
Been trying to figure that out for most of this year, no luck so far, undoubtedly part of the reason I'm stuck in mid air. Though I have quite a few I want to explore (thanks to the Zelinski Get-A-Life-Tree and other sources). I may make that my second "career" for a year or so on the way to a possible third.

Old 11-14-2010, 03:52 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Me too. Now I only wake up during the middle of the night when the market is tanking. Haven't done the head banging thing in a while. Kind of stimulating.
Old 11-14-2010, 03:58 PM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I may make that my second "career" for a year or so on the way to a possible third.
When submarine junior officers would get out of the 1990s Navy, they'd call a headhunter. One of my JOs went through the entire process with Lucas Group-- he knew what field he wanted to work in, and he did all the right things, and he had a number of good interviews. But for whatever reasons he just didn't quite mesh with any of the companies.

A couple months into this process, Lucas Group noted that he was really good at the career-search process-- and hired him. Within a year he'd expanded Lucas' military program from junior officers to senior enlisted, and it went gangbusters for him.

So maybe there's a perpetual career in a perpetual career search.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote