Join Early Retirement Today
6 Month CD?
Old 07-09-2008, 03:39 PM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.
6 Month CD?

When does getting a 6 month CD make sense? I was thinking of laddering 6 month CDs between now and the time I was separated, which would have a CD maturing roughly once a month for the first 6 months after I got out. The interest rate is 0.3% higher than my savings account, but it's the best rate I've been able to find at 6 months.

This isn't a part of my emergency fund, and really won't be a major part of my savings (it could be used to recharge either later if necessary), but I'm getting a major itch to buy something I really don't need right now and want to hide the discretionary money away where it would be painful to get it back before I'm a free man again. I have better plans for it later.

RetiredGypsy is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-09-2008, 07:37 PM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets
I wouldn't give up the liquidity for a measly 0.30%

Do the math. How much are you talking about? Even if you're talking about putting $25,000 in the 6 month'll only earn about $375 more by locking it up for 6 months.

No thanks.

If you need somebody to hold your money so you can't spend it...send it my way.

TN_INVEST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 08:34 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets
nickel and dime.

i would rather find a better way to do with your money give it to the bank to hold for next to "nut-thing".

Enuff2Eat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 05:23 AM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
MMA at HSBC FDIC Paying 3.5% APY on $1 minimum. You can set it up on line and while it is a Bank (slow to credit you account; banks can post checks is seconds but most take days to post a deposit) you can make deposits and withdrawals on line. Seems to beat any 6 month CD rates I have seen.
Vietnam Veteran, CW4 USA, Retired 1979
OAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 06:31 AM   #5
Psssst......... Wanna a good rate?

IndyMac CD rates surge as its stock price plunges - Los Angeles Times
100% retired and working hard at it.
UncleHoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 06:43 AM   #6
Originally Posted by UncleHoney View Post
Just get an annuity with them, probably a great rate now!

CitricAcid is offline   Reply With Quote