60/40 Portfolio is dead, Long live stocks!

My point is that even if you hold the individual bond till maturity, the face value of the bond 10 years from now, let's say $100K, will be worth only $73.7K in today's dollars if inflation goes up to 3%/yr ( 0.97^10 = 0.737 ).

So, if you sell the bond now and get below par, but then reinvest it at a higher rate, the end result may be the same?

It is probably better to not side track this thread any more with a bond fund versus individual bond debate. That is never a consensus topic here, just like the mortgage or SS debate. Annette Thau literally wrote The Bond Book and I can't explain her reasoning better than she does in the previous link, but I personally follow her line of thinking and recommendations, and they fit in well with a matching strategy type retirement portfolio. YMMV. There is a related article here on the issue with longer term bond funds when rates rise:

5 Best Bond Funds to Buy for Rising Interest Rates | InvestorPlace

Last edited:
I have a lot of Dodix. Poor performance over last 12 months. Probably due to rising credit spreads. Should be better relative performance going forward.

Just to clarify - I didn't mean to specifically push the funds in the Investor Place article - mainly the link was of interest to me because of the part on why longer term bond funds may do worse in a rising rate environment and the kinds of funds, if you want to own funds or need to because of 401K choices, that may not get hit as hard:

"When rates rise, new bonds offer better yields than older bonds, so the price on those old bonds needs to come down in order to find a buyer. That doesn’t matter if you own individual bonds and you hold them to maturity, but most people don’t. They own bonds through mutual funds, which not only lose value in a rising rate environment, but can get hit with redemptions, which causes a fund manager to sell into a weak market.

It can get ugly."

Last edited:
"When rates rise, new bonds offer better yields than older bonds, so the price on those old bonds needs to come down in order to find a buyer. That doesn’t matter if you own individual bonds and you hold them to maturity, but most people don’t. They own bonds through mutual funds, which not only lose value in a rising rate environment, but can get hit with redemptions, which causes a fund manager to sell into a weak market.

It can get ugly."

This is certainly true. As rates rise, the current fixed income choices such as bonds, bond funds, C/Ds. etc. will absolutely go down in value unless held to maturity. And even then, they lose because of inflation.

A bond fund manager will start to sell the 'old' bonds, and purchase new higher-yielding bonds. It may keep the income steady or increasing, but the capital appreciation will be much less than it has been in periods when rates were decreasing.

In a falling interest rate environment, such as we have had since 2008, bonds have INCREASED in price.

Then, as bonds yields increase enough to over take the risk premium that equities have, people move out of equities and into bonds. That raises the price of bonds (lowing yields, but made up by the capital appreciation) and decreases equity prices.

In a raising interest rate environment, such as we may have in 2016+, bonds will DECREASE in price.

So, a blended portfolio takes advantage of both of these scenarios. A simple look at raising and falling interest rate periods will illustrate this. It is not rocket science, and it's just as predictable as an ocean tide is.

Whether you do 60/40, 80/20, or 100% of either, the market will react with or without you. I personally doubt that the Fed can increase rates to any significant degree. We are in deflation, not inflation.

Last edited:
No way I could handle the volatility/risk of equity allocations that high, at least until I make it to my 70's.

And all this time I thought you were in your 70s:D

JK

Personally I was 100% equities until late in my 40s. I don't really see anything wrong with that or close to it while you're still working.

I kept asking my "seasoned professional" FA if I should have some bonds in the mix? He kept telling me, basically, "bonds are for wussies". I was disagreeing with him in other investment decisions too, which helped me on the way to DIY. Of course 2008 helped that decision too. I lucked into having gone to mostly cash before the big drop (sold a bunch just before to build a big new house, and didn't immediately reinvest when we sold the old one), but then got stuck in the "when to get back in" dilemma. I've been DCA nibbling back in all during the rising market. That taught me good hard lessons too.

I'm still around 65/35, just getting ready to turn 60. I think/hope I'm comfortable enough with that to be able to hold on during another big drop. I guess we'll see.

Back
Top Bottom