62, 66 or 70

gozzie

Dryer sheet wannabe
I appreciate everyone's comments but what I've learned is that there is no answer. So, I think I will defer SS for a while and see how our finances stand up to retirement. I don't think I will live to be old (I enjoy Scotch and wine too much) and I don't want to be real old and decrepit. But, I would have to be old and broke.

gozzie said:
I appreciate everyone's comments but what I've learned is that there is no answer. So, I think I will defer SS for a while and see how our finances stand up to retirement. I don't think I will live to be old (I enjoy Scotch and wine too much) and I don't want to be real old and decrepit. But, I would have to be old and broke.
If going that way, and you are in the low tax brackets (15% or less), transfer money
to Roth IRAs, pay your 15% now, then when you do start taking SS, you have non-taxable
money you can tap, postponing paying tax on the SS, see previous detail discussions
about this

Absolutely. We'll be tapping our Roths for income starting at the earliest possible age, until they're empty, while allowing the regular IRA's and our taxable portfolio to accumulate.

Back
Top Bottom