Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-21-2010, 12:10 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
I don't think I even had retirement on my horizon, let alone ER, until I was a parent (age 32).
I was lucky to be bitten by the FIRE bug when I was in my early 20s. There's no way I could even contemplate retirement, much less an early one, had I not done so.

I suppose that makes me the exception, which a shame.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-21-2010, 06:26 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
I was lucky to be bitten by the FIRE bug when I was in my early 20s. There's no way I could even contemplate retirement, much less an early one, had I not done so.

I suppose that makes me the exception, which a shame.
Wow, that's great - I didn't even contemplate the possibility of ER until 1990 at age 40 when I took my sabbatical. Fortunately I happened to reach that conclusion at the beginning of a great decade for asset growth. Decade of 2000? not so good.
ejman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 07:23 PM   #23
Dryer sheet aficionado

ER is a goal I aim to miss. I think it would be the most boring thing in the world to sit at home all day watching your fingernails grow. Life without work is like cancer without cure. One can only rot. I hope more people would see life as a celebration of work -- and stop worrying about at what age they're going to "retire".
oilspill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 07:28 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilspill View Post
ER is a goal I aim to miss. I think it would be the most boring thing in the world to sit at home all day watching your fingernails grow. Life without work is like cancer without cure. One can only rot. I hope more people would see life as a celebration of work -- and stop worrying about at what age they're going to "retire".
Glad to see you see fit to spend time in a forum that discusses a topic you have absolutely no interest in. Seems to me that someone who is enjoying a "celebration of work" should be busy enough to not have time to waste on forums which don't interest them.

But merely being contrary to the goal of the main topic of this board isn't against the rules by itself, so have fun wasting time on things that don't matter to you....
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 07:31 PM   #25
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Attaboy oilslick. We need more dedicated working stiffs like you!
Old 06-21-2010, 07:49 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Yeah, please help fund my Social Security.

BTW, what is ESR?
explanade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 07:50 PM   #27
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Early Semi-Retirement...
Old 06-21-2010, 07:54 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
nm

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 08:05 PM   #29

Quote:
Cheers! We need more people to work for eternity and never collect social security or pension payments.
Old 06-21-2010, 09:48 PM   #30

Quote:
Well, I have to confirm your observation This is what happened after a short ER :
Attached Images
File Type: jpg longestnails.jpg (87.2 KB, 3 views)
ejman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 11:50 AM   #31
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
ER is a goal I aim to miss.
kthxbai.

Quote:
I think it would be the most boring thing in the world to sit at home all day watching your fingernails grow. Life without work is like cancer without cure. One can only rot. I hope more people would see life as a celebration of work -- and stop worrying about at what age they're going to "retire".
You sound like one of those poor souls whose identity and self-worth is all wrapped up in their job. The thing is, you see, you might not be as important to the workplace as you think...

(This never happened. Urban legend... or is it?)

Personally, I found that work really cut into the time I wanted to spend doing other things. Fun stuff. Way more fun than putting the cover sheet on the TPS.

But that's just me...
M Paquette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 07:35 PM   #32
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I'm conflicted.

On one hand you might be the guy whose payroll deductions can save Social Security and Medicare.

OTOH I'm sorry to see someone who has confused the meanings of "work" and "getting paid to do a job". My life is full of work, probably more full of it than when I was working for a paycheck, and I'm celebrating my independence. Still plenty of complexity and fulfillment, and now I have most of the autonomy too.

But don't let me change your mind. You have to to be responsible for your own entertainment. And apparently that Medicare system isn't going to fix itself.

I have to wonder why the heck you're posting here. Maybe that'll get a better reception over at Bogleheads. Be sure to let Mel & Taylor know that you think they're rotting, too...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 08:14 PM   #33
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dex View Post
I agree with you. However, if I were advising a young person in the USA as to where to get a job, I would recommend the federal government. That is one of the few places that will be able to provide a persons with a 'middle class' life - security, opportunities, health care, pension (and early retirement?), reasonable working hours and environment. We are following Europe - large government, health care, high taxes, systemic high unemployment, large debt, VAT.
Wow. While I agree with the comment, what a "bummer" and sad statement of our country's possible disposition.

When I graduated from college 30 years ago, the government was a "job of last resort" - private industry had higher pay, more challenging work, more dynamic environment and comparable benefits.

We are "toast" as a country if government jobs become the only route to middle class American life.........
Delawaredave5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 11:14 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delawaredave5 View Post
When I graduated from college 30 years ago, the government was a "job of last resort" - private industry had higher pay, more challenging work, more dynamic environment and comparable benefits.
In retrospect, I may have made the mistake to reject an offer for a GS-7 position 32 years ago - bummer.
Old 06-23-2010, 11:29 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete View Post
We don't need more government workers because of the services they provide. The government needs to create jobs because the private sector isn't. We've done this for so long the voting block of gov't workers is so big it's political suicide to stand against it. The private sector will continue to shrink and gov't payrolls will increase, or unemployment will rise. So far any gov't take backs I've seen in pensions have only affected new hires. Try and take something back that was promised and we will be in the streets like Greece.
Wow, don't know what to say to this. "Government will take care of us" attitude is not one I can agree with.

If the private sector is not producing jobs, it's because there is no demand for the products/services. If there is money to be made, the private sector will do it.
Finance Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 11:39 PM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Private sector is increasingly having Chinese workers do it.

While trying to sell products and services produced by those workers to Americans who have seen their earning power stagnate or decline.
explanade is offline   Reply With Quote