7 Shortcuts

mickeyd

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering C
http://money.cnn.com/popups/2006/moneymag/shortcuts/index.html?cnn=yes

I pretty much agree with all seven however #6 is one that I question. Who would pay someone to go out and buy them a car? Heck. if you can't figure out how to buy your own car, how can you figure out how to invest for yourself?

A snip from #6:

The Easy Way: Hire a car buyer If you are willing to spend an extra $400 to $800, you can reduce the entire car buying experience to a couple of phone calls and one visit to the dealer to pick up the keys. Car buying services such as AutoAdvisor.com and CarQ.com will find the model you want, negotiate a competitive price and loan terms with the dealer and, in many cases, set up a test drive.

I pretty much agree with all seven however #6 is one that I question. Who would pay someone to go out and buy them a car? Heck. if you can't figure out how to buy your own car, how can you figure out how to invest for yourself?

Not so much knowing how to buy a car, as not wanting to have anything to do with the salespeople.

Would consider the money well spent to avoid the stress.

(edited for formatting)

The article wasn't so much about saving moving as it was about reducing your money hassles.

If negotiating for a car is painful for you then, just maybe, you would do just as well by paying someone else to negotiate for you.

At least you know that you didn't get reamed at the dealer.

Problem solved - no hassle

My guess is that the car buyer would make VERY sure that the vehicle he picks is mechanically sound (keep you from complaining)...but spend little time working on lowering the price--no one is going to try and save you money more than you
You can always take a car you are considering to a mechanic to look over and do the haggling/comparing yourself.

Donzo said:
My guess is that the car buyer would make VERY sure that the vehicle he picks is mechanically sound (keep you from complaining)...but spend little time working on lowering the price--no one is going to try and save you money more than you
You can always take a car you are considering to a mechanic to look over and do the haggling/comparing yourself.

Oh contrare..............there are a number of these businesses operating in big cities, and the guys doing it make a nice living.......... ;)

And you are assuming EVERYONE likes the "game" and all the hassle of buying a car............. ;)

I bought my new car through a national car buying service here in Canada and they got a price I could never have gotten. I was happy just to go and pick up the keys.

The bigger outfits with select dealers in volume and know where to go for the deals. The buyer had a deal for me within 24 hours.

AltaRed said:
I bought my new car through a national car buying service here in Canada and they got a price I could never have gotten. I was happy just to go and pick up the keys.

The bigger outfits with select dealers in volume and know where to go for the deals. The buyer had a deal for me within 24 hours.

Also in Canada......my professional association has a link to such a service. 11 years ago when I was looking for my present car I investigated it. I found the experience unsatisfying and went off to do my own research and kick the tires. With a bit of negotiating I got a better deal than I could have obtained through the car buying service. Car is still running like a dream!

OTOH, I have on occasion used a personal shopper to buy business attire and came out with a really good deal. I am an anomaly......a woman who dislikes clothes shopping!

Meadbh

Meadbh said:
I am an anomaly......a woman who dislikes clothes shopping!

Meadbh

I will pay your travel expenses to come to the US and "teach" my wife about the finer points of "disliking clothes shopping".......... :D ;)

Mead -

You are not alone! I just went clothes shopping the other day with my DD and told her if I were rich I would pay someone to do it for me! Ugh! I do like having new clothes - I just hate trying stuff on and going thru the racks, etc.

Jane :)

FinanceDude said:
And you are assuming EVERYONE likes the "game" and all the hassle of buying a car............. ;)

It's certainly not for everyone.

A few months ago I bought a used car and took my oldest son along so he could experience it first hand. I grew up with family that were all involved in selling or repairing cars for a living so I knew most of what to expect and how to get past much of it. By the end we bought a car from an individual, but my son got some great experience - especially at the dealerships.

Back
Top Bottom