8 weeks into ER

ProGolferWannabe

Recycles dryer sheets
So, I walked out of my job---will be 8 weeks since I retired/quit tomorrow. I posted here prior to leaving expressing some uncertainty about leaving. (The same sorts of things many other folks have posted--the value of working one more year, etc.) While 2 months is hardly a lengthy amount of time, I have to say that I have not felt this good in many, many years. I can't believe how much less stress I feel from not having to worry about going into work and putting up with the daily nonsense. The last year or two of work I had constant abdominal issues---cramping, upset stomach, etc.---my wife said it was likely stress---I thought it was something more. Since I left, no more upset stomach---the Misses was right. For the first time in 33 years I feel like my life is mine, and I can't believe how much more enjoyable things are. I can honestly say I don't have a single regret about leaving, other than wishing I had walked out a year ago.

Awesome!

Greatest feeling ever: When it's right, it's right. Congrats! Maybe a year ago wouldn't have felt as good.

Good for you! Sounds like you've help yourself for the better. I left in January and am down 35 lbs, and my BP has dropped so much, my doctor is now talking to me about how much my health has improved rather than what I'm doing wrong. Enjoy the success you've had and continue on with it!

Excellent! I'm about 7 months in and am still pinching myself - hard to believe it's so great and it's real. [emoji4] Enjoy!!

So, I walked out of my job---will be 8 weeks since I retired/quit tomorrow. I posted here prior to leaving expressing some uncertainty about leaving. (The same sorts of things many other folks have posted--the value of working one more year, etc.) While 2 months is hardly a lengthy amount of time, I have to say that I have not felt this good in many, many years. I can't believe how much less stress I feel from not having to worry about going into work and putting up with the daily nonsense. The last year or two of work I had constant abdominal issues---cramping, upset stomach, etc.---my wife said it was likely stress---I thought it was something more. Since I left, no more upset stomach---the Misses was right. For the first time in 33 years I feel like my life is mine, and I can't believe how much more enjoyable things are. I can honestly say I don't have a single regret about leaving, other than wishing I had walked out a year ago.

see my signature line, i wasted 5 years you only wasted 1.Enjoy your new found freedom

Congrats. Keep enjoying the rest of your life fired!

I'm sure there are lots of stories like this represented here. I left pretty suddenly when my j*b turned south. I just decided not to stay and see if it would get better.

So glad it's working for you!

A true inspiration. So glad the bricks are off your shoulders. If you don't have good health, you don't have much of anything. For me, it was boredom and the right circumstances that included a nice severance popped up. Like you, I will never look back. All the best to you and yours!

10 weeks here and I've lost six pounds. Less stress for sure! :D

Interesting you mention 33 years - my 33rd anniversary with Megacorp is in two weeks, and I'm still on payroll until Independence Day. I worked too much and didn't spend my paid time off.

Last edited:
Congrats! Just over one year in and I'm still learning new ways to appreciate this.

I've said before that I've been so busy I don't know how I ever found time to w*rk.

Yesterday, after two exhausting days of working all day around the house and yard, I had another little epiphany.

I have a long list of "stuff" I need/want to do. The yard work wasn't even on the list. I never left home. I didn't get anything else done. But I felt a real sense of accomplishment, finishing a bunch of tasks that I've been meaning to do for years; decades in some cases. And today I can move on to the rest of the list... if I feel like it.

THIS is the work I was cut out for. That other stuff was only to get me to this point.

What's most important

Congratulations, PGW, et al.

Every time I read one of these anecdotes affirming the miraculous power of freedom, it shaves a day off my RE end date.

Before I joined this forum, I had a glide path landing at age 65 (Medicare). After digesting a fair bit of advice, I was able to recalculate it to age 62 (SS). But stories like these spark re-evaluations of what's most important, and now I'm targeting 60 (expunging debt from kids' college). I may not bullseye it exactly, but I'm gonna come close.

That's like an extra five years of life expectancy. Wowzers.

Every time I read one of these anecdotes affirming the miraculous power of freedom, it shaves a day off my RE end date.

Before I joined this forum, I had a glide path landing at age 65 (Medicare). After digesting a fair bit of advice, I was able to recalculate it to age 62 (SS). But stories like these spark re-evaluations of what's most important, and now I'm targeting 60 (expunging debt from kids' college). I may not bullseye it exactly, but I'm gonna come close.

I am now hoping for the 60 time-frame as well... Good luck to us both!

Congratulations on building up the resources to make ER possible! I'd planned to retire at 65 but got fed up with toxic politics at age 61. One week elapsed between the Friday I called my husband and said, "I think I'm going to quit my job on Monday" and the day I walked out for the last time. That was 3 years ago and life is good. Sounds like yours is, too.

For a long time I planned ER at 59.5 or 60. Then at around 50 I started studying FIRECalc, Clyatt, Carlson, Zelinski, Ferri, Trinity and all the subsequent studies, and of course E-R.org. I moved my target up to 57.

When megacorp got toxic I was in shape financially and mentally to to pull the trigger the week I turned 55.

YMMV but knowledge is power. Good luck on your glide path. :greetings10:

Congrats - I'm 15 months in and still soaring

Wow, I could have written this post, except for me it wasn't stomach pains but there were other symptoms of stress that quickly went away. Like you, OP, not a second of regret. Congratulations to us!

Congrats! I am around 3 months retired myself and seeing the same health improvements.

Back
Top Bottom